Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 13:52   #1

Sailboat Liveaboard in MD, VA Area

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } Hi

I will be commuting from PA the DC area during the week and need a place to stay. I was wondering about the feasibility of living year round on a moored or docked sail boat.

Cost involved
Size of boat
Basic accommodations
etc....

Thanks for any help/advice you can give in Advance.

Best Regards,
Dan
Dwalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 14:47   #2

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Sailboat Liveaboard in MD, VA Area

Tough deal within reasonable commute of DC. There are long waiting lists at the places in DC (Gangplank and CYC) that allow liveaboards. The sailing isn't very good either.

Annapolis isn't bad - 30 minutes to the New Carrolton Metro and a number of choices for liveaboard. Baltimore is too far for my taste. Some people drive up Rt 4 from Solomons but whether that works for you depends on where you job is.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 17:19   #3

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
We are in the West River abt 12 miles south of Annapolis. Many liveaboards.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:33   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dan.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 13:45   #5

Boat: Island Packet 35
We live in Herrington...30-40mins to Wilson bridge.
Hotel L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 14:39   #6

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

I live on Back Creek in a Marina (Annapolis Landing). Not cheap and they charge an additional $100/month for liveaboards. Slips are available; I get a 6 month lease which would have been unheard of in past years. It is cheaper than Baltimore and they metered electricity there (~$300/month).
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:23   #7

Boat: several from 20 -50'

Tantallon Marina Home Page
takes sail and power. It's about 15 minutes south of DC. Year-round water, reliable electricity. About $9/ft/mo.
partgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:49   #8

Thanks for all the great information!

I am going to check out the Tantallon Marina tomorrow night.

What size boat would you recommend to get started?
What about showers in a boat?
I have been reading other posts and some seem to say the Marina's usually add services to the initial price of the dock rental. How much a month more will these expenses run?

I also plan to check out the "Live-a-Board" event this weekend in Md. if anyone else is planning on going, maybe I will see you there.

Thanks again in Adnvance.

Best,
Dan
Dwalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:13   #9

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalms View Post

I also plan to check out the "Live-a-Board" event this weekend in Md. if anyone else is planning on going, maybe I will see you there.
What and where is the "live-a-board"?
Old 10-08-2011, 08:22   #10

The Gangplank Marina Liveaboard Home Tour has already sold about 230 of the available 300 tickets. You may want to order tickets ahead. I am showing two of the listed boats, PM me for my contact info.
Gangplank's website has a list of all their costs and their fabulous location in SW DC is reflected in those fees.
Tantallon is a totally different (quieter) scene and the amenities aren't as good, but I lived there for several years and enjoyed it immensely. BTW: At the time, I was working at BoatUS Headquarters on Pickett St in Alexandria. My drive in was 30 minutes and return was about 45 minutes. You might want to call ahead. The gates are locked and only accessible by key card.
Showers etc. I have lived aboard off-and-on for over twenty years. We liveaboards have our list of must-haves and nice-to-haves. I prefer a boat with a suitable shower to fabulous on-shore facilities. I am just not motivated to walk a considerable distance in uncertain weather to a public shower. I prefer boats with separate stall showers (although many people use the shower for a closet) and if I have to use a hand shower in the toilet compartment, I keep bathroom clutter to an absolute minimum. Both the boats I have at Tantallon have stall showers.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:29   #11

Gangplank Marina is hosting a Boat Home Tour this Saturday (Aug 13) from 10:00 to 2:00.
Southwest DC Waterfront Boat-Home Tour - Southwest DC Waterfront Boat-Home Tour
Old 10-08-2011, 08:40   #12

Boat: Ohlson 38

We looked at Tantallon about a month ago. It is about one quarter empty. Clean, new floating docks with secure fencing and new shower facilities. Spoke to a few residents and they had no complaints other than the isolated location. Tantallon's website claims one mile to shopping but is more like two or three and no buses to marina. Buses to subway or elsewhere can be found at shopping center but only on weekdays during rush hour.

Marina is located in Ft Washington in an upper middle class, bedroom community. Ft Washington has suffered in recent times due to the influx of displaced peoples from the lower socio economic groups of Wash DC. The crime that used to be mostly confined to southeast and portions of northeast DC are now in Ft Washington too. I wouldn't walk to the store at night nor would I be comfortable with my wife walking the couple miles to the store. If you have a car, it is doable except during rush hour when it could take you two hours to travel three or four miles.

FYI...I have been spending a few days here and there anchored in the Washington Channel and have seen some of the same boats anchored there since spring. I hear that there is a time limit on anchoring there but apparently is not enforced if there is. For short term during the spring through fall why not anchor adjacent to the Capitol Yacht Club (15 dollars per day). !5 bucks includes showers, wifi, dinghy dock, free water and air conditioned clubhouse. CYC is the friendliest place I've been yet. (although they do have there share of pretentious Washington professionals)

My boats going on the hard come fall but, if I wanted to be as close to DC as I could and be in a marina, Tantallon would be my choice.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 01:47   #13

Boat: CSY33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalms
I will be commuting from PA the DC area during the week...
Can you define where more precisely? And what hours? The nature of traffic in the region is that 10% of your travel might take 90% of your time. So if we know where you want to arrive each day for work - and when - we can best direct you to where to look for a dock.
Trekka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, sailboat