Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2018, 09:23   #31

Boat: Ericson 35-3
Re: Safe Marina for a lady

Also most marinas on the sound I dealt with wouldn't talk to me before I had a boat, it was a bit of a conundrum and frustrating. On the other side, I never had to wait as long as their official quoted wait time. Bellingham once quoted me a 5 year wait and I got a permanent spot within a year and was in immediately with sublets.
brownr377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 09:24   #32

Personally, I wouldn't discuss the safety with the management of the marina. This is like asking employees at a restaurant whether the food is good. They are going to tell you what you want to hear.

I would discuss with women of around your same age who have boats in the marina. I suggest this because I think men are going to have both a different experience than women and a very different impression than women.

I've been walking through areas that I thought nothing of but could feel my wife's hand squeezing harder and harder. Her perception of the area and situation was much different than mine.

You can ask other age demographics, however much younger people (millennials) will also have a much different perception. At that age hiking through Europe and staying at hostiles would be considered lovely, but ask their mother or their grandmother if they would've felt the same way. Just my .02
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 10:02   #33

All very good points. I realized when I asked about safety that it would be different from a man's perspective. I'm currently out of state and won't be in the Seattle area till I make the move. so, I appreciate all the feedback for those who are already familiar with the area. I'm trying to get ahead start. I don't want to spend much money on renting on land when I move out, so hoping it will be a quick transition to liveaboard. Thanks everyone for all the awesome feedback. I can't wait to officially be part of such a wonderful community.
LadyByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 10:59   #34

Regarding a woman's perspective on an area being safe....

Recently we rented a 100+ year old house in west Dublin. We noticed security systems on the houses, some high security fences here and there, a bit of graffiti, sometimes trash in the streets, and if one was paying attention, home less people living in over grown areas. FYI, Dublin has a big home less problem.

We used LUAS(tram), buses and simply walking to get around. We never once felt unsafe. We have spent quite a bit of time walking around Dublin, mostly in the non tourist areas, living like a local and buying groceries at three different stores in different neighborhoods. I had been, and continue to read, the Irish papers and violent crime SEEMS to be well covered but there just does not seem to be that much. We had wondered about the security in some areas we walked through but we saw plenty of kids out playing and women out walking alone even late at night.

Before moving to the area you are interested, read the local papers well in advance. In the US, I would think you would be able to get crime statistics from local police or Sheriff department. Visit the neighborhood at different times and watch the people that are out and about. If women are out walking around by themselves at different hours it is likely a safe place.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 11:44   #35

Boat: Hunter 340, 1999, 34'

A telephone call to the police reporter of a local newspaper should reveal any problem areas.
Attikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 07:59   #36

Most Seattle marinas are as safe as apartments or condos in similar areas. Seattle as a whole has become less safe with the growth of the homeless camps and the drug problems that city government enables.
DryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 08:31   #37

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Welcome to CF, ladybird... I also attempted to find moorage in the Seattle area several years ago when my other half was accepted into university in the area and we were living aboard in San Diego. I was defeated so we ended up renting a flat in Kirkland. Moorage was tight then and I’m sure hasn’t got any better!
Marinas that have liveaboards tend to be more secure because they have someone there 24/7.
We also tried the Everett area which was a bit of a drive in rush hour and found suitable moorage at a reasonable cost there. One thing I did not consider was a ferry commute which is a good alternative in the Seattle area. They are reasonably quick, on time and being off the mainland, liveaboard moorage is not as expensive. I wish we would have tried Bainbridge Island which we both liked a lot.
I wish you success in your search... you might try dropping off your particulars at some of the mansions on Lake Washington with docks. Several let out space and are happy to have some one around full time to keep an eye on things.
Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 10:36   #38

Thank you so much. I'll look into Bainbridge. I've been on a ferry before when I visited Seattle, but it's good to know that you consider them an efficient source of commute if I'd be off the mainland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Welcome to CF, ladybird... I also attempted to find moorage in the Seattle area several years ago when my other half was accepted into university in the area and we were living aboard in San Diego. I was defeated so we ended up renting a flat in Kirkland. Moorage was tight then and Iím sure hasnít got any better!
Marinas that have liveaboards tend to be more secure because they have someone there 24/7.
We also tried the Everett area which was a bit of a drive in rush hour and found suitable moorage at a reasonable cost there. One thing I did not consider was a ferry commute which is a good alternative in the Seattle area. They are reasonably quick, on time and being off the mainland, liveaboard moorage is not as expensive. I wish we would have tried Bainbridge Island which we both liked a lot.
I wish you success in your search... you might try dropping off your particulars at some of the mansions on Lake Washington with docks. Several let out space and are happy to have some one around full time to keep an eye on things.
Cheers, Phil
Old 17-08-2018, 15:01   #39

Elliott bay marina. 24 hour security. Guard shack is manned from late night to early morning. Plus a roving security plus coded gates. Can't beat it in Seattle area
Tacojohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 15:03   #40

Elliott bay marina
Tacojohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 15:16   #41

Thanks. I read on their website that they don't allow liveaboards though. I guess I'm wanting to be somewhere that does have a small liveaboard community that is also welcomed by the marina.
😀

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacojohnston View Post
Elliott bay marina. 24 hour security. Guard shack is manned from late night to early morning. Plus a roving security plus coded gates. Can't beat it in Seattle area
Old 17-08-2018, 17:59   #42

Boat: Swanson 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyByrd View Post
....and will carry some form of protection on me. ...
Ha ha, here in Australia, carrying some form of protection usually means a couple of condoms in case you get lucky.

I love this country.
Old 17-08-2018, 18:26   #43

Lol. And that's why I need protection. Too many crazies in this world nowadays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Ha ha, here in Australia, carrying some form of protection usually means a couple of condoms in case you get lucky.

I love this country.
Old 19-08-2018, 14:05   #44

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Could you commute by a combination of a Rib tender and your car? Just a thought...
Franziska is online now   Reply With Quote