Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2018, 08:19   #16

Re: Safe Marina for a lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyByrd View Post
Thanks. Yes, I'll have my vehicle and commute to work regularly. Did you feel there was a good sense of community at Shilshole? I work full time and will be on land a lot. I want to feel like my belongings and boat are safe when I'm not around.
Yes, boat owners were good at Shilshole. Not a ton of liveaboards so not so much able to watch out for each other's boats though. On the bigger boat docks 40 + ft, maybe a couple liveaboards per dock average. But the gates stay locked most the time and you seldom see anyone on the docks during the week.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:25   #17

Boat: Tartan 33

I'm at Elliott Bay Marina. It's clean, secure, and lovely. Check it out. It's conveniently located to any destination West of I-5. I wouldn't want to live there and work on the East side, but then I do not like to drive.

https://www.elliottbaymarina.co/
Old 09-08-2018, 08:41   #18

Thanks for the Elloit Bay link. It looks beautiful and very nice. They don't allow liveaboards though, so how do I get around that?

Thanks again.
LadyByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:49   #19

Call the marina. There are some liveaboards at EBM. Honestly, though, I'd just put a boat there and try to live under the radar. A single woman will probably have a pretty small footprint, and as long as you don't put out potted plants and have wild parties, it's likely no one will bother you. I'm on L dock, and know a couple of "liveaboards" there.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:50   #20

Boat: Rawson 30PH

Try Elliott Bay marina too (south side of Magnoliia, closer to Seattle). The only security concern is the parking lot, due to vagrants living in the woods on the hillside.

I live above Shillshole, but choose to keep the boat in Anacortes for quick access to better sailing/ cruising.

If you can stand the commute, look outsIde Seattle. Check out the ferry and commuter train links to Seattle ... your monthly moorage will be 1/2 and you will have better luck finding a live aboard slip sooner.
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:54   #21

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

I bought Mana in Shilshole a few years back and found it to be a nice clean marina with good bathrooms and laundry, which is not always the case in smaller marinas.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:07   #22

The EBM lot is patrolled and, in my experience, safe and secure. I've never seen people camp on the hill, but they sometimes do in Smith Cove Park nearby. There is a tiny house/tent village at the East end of the Magnolia bridge. Security at the marina is pretty tight. You can't even get into the bathrooms with your gate code--you need your fob. Too many folks were giving out their gate codes to passersby who needed to use the facility. It got out of hand so they cracked down. I routinely leave my car in the lot for weeks at a time when we cruise, and have never had a problem.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:19   #23

Remigio, I think you have me sold with Elliot Bay. I've watched some videos and looked at the satellite view and it really looks nice. Love that they don't allow just anyone to use the bathrooms. And, I don't mind taking my laundry to a local facility.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. Much appreciated.
Old 09-08-2018, 14:35   #24

Boat: Ocean Alexander Mk1 extended 55'

There are probably 15 liveaboards at Bridgeview Marina in Bremerton where I have my boat. Fast ferry gets you to Seattle with a 30 minute ride. Not a fancy marina but good people that watch out for your boat when you aren't there. Reasonably priced and generally have open slips so no need to get on a list at this point.
dw1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 15:08   #25

I looked at the rates at Bridgeview and they are very affordable. Do they have showers?
Old 09-08-2018, 16:57   #26

Boat: Ocean Alexander Mk1 extended 55'

Yes they do have showers. The bathrooms are cleaned by one of the lady liveaboards and are immaculate. Some people here have been here for a long time. Some are here just waiting for space to open up at the Bremerton Yacht club.
dw1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 19:15   #27

That's great. Thank you so much. Yeah, I am learning with the more phone calls I make to the marina's in the Seattle area, that it won't be hard at all to get a slip in January.

Thanks everyone so much for giving me some good insight.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:40   #28

Boat: Etap 38i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyByrd View Post
I know waiting lists are long, so I'm trying to secure a spot January 2021
That's not quite 2.5 years away; you may not have one open up by then. Last time I spoke to the Puget Sound area marinas, several told me to expect a 3-5 year wait.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 19:34   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw1979 View Post
There are probably 15 liveaboards at Bridgeview Marina in Bremerton where I have my boat. Fast ferry gets you to Seattle with a 30 minute ride. Not a fancy marina but good people that watch out for your boat when you aren't there. Reasonably priced and generally have open slips so no need to get on a list at this point.
So I've called them 3 times this week and left two voicemails. No one is returning my call. Kind of a bummer.I explained it would be 2 1/2 years out. Maybe that's too far ahead for them? I thought it'd be wise to start early.
Old 16-08-2018, 09:11   #30

Boat: Ericson 35-3

Shilshole is safe, at least it was for me. There were a few liveaboards on every dock, the bigger boat docks have more liveaboards. All very friendly and I never had any issues. I got in 4 years ago bouncing around using sublets before I got my own permanent spot, just keep your eye on the bulletin board. Ballard can be a great neighborhood depending on your preferences, some good venues for music lots of breweries some amazing coffee shops. And you've got the sloop tavern and lockspot just down the street.

If you're looking for a liveaboard spot with a good commute east of the lake it doesn't exist, at least not that I could find. I have a friend that was down at the Duwamish Yacht Club and she had no issues there, it's a small very gated marina, check out harbor island as well.

Lots of marinas on the canal and lake union to check out turnover at these seemed to be a lot slower than the port of seattle marinas.
brownr377 is offline   Reply With Quote