Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Are you considering, or did, going RV cruising after done boat cruising
Yes 64 61.54%
No 29 27.88%
Maybe 11 10.58%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2019, 06:36   #121

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: RV After Cruising???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
well a thread I started is over for me

people must need more coffee in the morning to not be in bad mood before reading a post on going off in so direction not intended
SB you take offence a little to easy[emoji3], no one is attacking or being rude to you, when you make a post and open a discussion you need to accept others views of the world.

And in regards to thread drifts, it's part of the landscape which is great, you never no where it will lead and what one will learn.

My posts aren't designed to offend you. Your a valued contributor.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 10:00   #122
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
RV After Cruising???

I’m not sure how they do it, but there is a metric boat load of Canadians in Fl, and especially the Bahamas, and most leave their boats in Fl and travel and stay in Fl.
Or travel back to Canada, through the US of course. We buddy boated back to Ft. pierce with another IP, that was a Canadian Boat.
We talked to one couple that were continuing down South and they said they purchased world traveler Insurence through the State and were covered, and they said it was something like $50 a month or so.

I don’t know what it is, but there is a way for Canadians to be still covered for med Insurence.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 10:02   #123
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quick google came up with this, I have no idea what it is exactly, nor what it costs, just found it.
https://globaltravelinsurance.com/tr...nts-of-canada/
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 19:44   #124

Boat: Rafiki 37

Thanks A6, this looks like the typical travel health insurance I’ve used in the past. It’s generally a ‘patch you up and ship you home’ kinda plan. When I did my motorcycle trip through the USA four years ago I paid about $420 CND for five months of coverage.

This was the cheapest coverage I could find based on my needs, so I am glad I didn’t have to put it to the test. It is a doable expense, but it’s not insignificant in my budget.
Old 22-05-2019, 07:52   #125

Boat: Scout 30

We bought one of these last year. Really easy to pull with our SUV & it's amazing how big it feels when it's opened up due to all the windows.

2720 Series - TrailManor™
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 08:53   #126

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
My point was, you don't decide on where to go based on where you'd prefer to get hurt.

Also, this has been discussed before but there is some very good medical care in countries poor than the States. My Canadian mate is getting teeth implants here in Brazil while here due to the great value and quality.

Anyway we digress, my fault.
Just an FYI, foreigners can use the public health care system, free of charge, on a walk-in basis in Brazil in an emergency. This might be useful information for any foreign boats planning on cruising in Brazil.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 09:55   #127
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat, 8 foot sailing dink, 18 foot SeaRay I/O

For those who are interested in the RV life, the following is a great for finding RV parks.
Campground Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks

And for those who complain about the price, you can still find campgrounds that only charge $15 a night, complete with hookups. My wife and I have been full timers (we live in our motorhome) since 2005. We have stayed in RV parks that range from nothing but a dirt spot to park (not so bad for a few days), to full blown luxury RV resorts (a real waste of money). We have stayed all over the US except Alaska, and places you have to get to by water (such as Hawaii). It's great life and a real eye opener. In all that time we have stayed in only a couple of KOAs. Why stay in a KOA (it's like staying at Motel 6) when you have so many other choices and can meet some really nice people who own and run their own RV parks. I could make some great recommendations but the list would be far too long. Just look at the above link.

Oh, and for military (active, retired, National Guard, DOD civilians) there are many RV parks on military bases that are well run, clean, convenient and in beautiful locations. They aren't cheap, but they aren't super expensive either. Whne we have a choice between a private civilian park and a military RV park in the same area we almost always stay at the military one (exceptions, Las Vegas & Monterey CA)

Also some bases that don't have RV parks will let you park overnight if you ask. No hookups, but that's what dry camping is. Back in 2006 we stayed several days at the Coast Guard Station in Fort Lauderdale, No hook ups but with a long hose (actually three strung together) there was water. We made a small contribution to the station's Morale Fund. It still worked out far cheaper than any RV park in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area and was actually closer in than the private RV parks. But you have to get the CO's permission and it depends a lot on their mission load, so don't be disappointed if they say no.
Old 25-05-2019, 19:22   #128

We do it now. Winter months are aboard the sailboat and we try to head for the Bahamas. When it gets too hot in the south, we park the boat and head for the 70’s — cooler climes. It doesn’t ALWAYS work out, but we give it a try. Made it to Atlantic Canada last summer. We try to spend more time on the boat than the van — after all, it is a LOT bigger. Our van is a 2015 Pleasure Way Lexor TS motorhome.
dunniganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 22:56   #129

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunniganj View Post
We do it now. Winter months are aboard the sailboat and we try to head for the Bahamas. When it gets too hot in the south, we park the boat and head for the 70’s — cooler climes. It doesn’t ALWAYS work out, but we give it a try. Made it to Atlantic Canada last summer. We try to spend more time on the boat than the van — after all, it is a LOT bigger. Our van is a 2015 Pleasure Way Lexor TS motorhome.
What is the cost differences -- we put out 10 years of cost data for our cruising life and it is in the 3k-3.5k range a month - how does that compare to RV life?
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:23   #130

Boat: Bayliner 3870 39ft

Has anyone done a Europe to Singapore (or similar) type of drive? I've love to but don't know what to believe when it comes to safety. Some people talk of some very sketchy situations but others say the hospitality of people along the way to be incredible.
tackleandtax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:37   #131

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

I had a Westfalia Van and loved it! Every time I climbed behind the wheel I felt like I was on vacation even when simply driving to the store. I only camped in US and Canada, but I never felt remotely in danger. The VW got reasonable fuel economy and good maneuverability especially compared to an RV. I lost the van in my divorce, otherwise I'd still be land cruising in addition to sailing.
Old 16-06-2019, 08:01   #132
KTP

We have transitioned from RV'ing to sailing....ok we have transitioned from RV'ing to fixing up a sailboat lol. We still have our RV that we built ourselves back in 2015 from steel and aluminum. We took it on a 12,000 mile trip around the USA pulling our little 17 foot sailboat and used it to launch the sailboat in over 20 states, the Atlantic, Gulf and Pacific oceans.

But anyway here are just 3 locations "out in the desert" where we stayed completely free for 14 days (the limit before you have to move a distance). These were in Idaho, Montana and North Dakota. Just posting to disprove the myth that you have to stay at KOA. The last 2 pictures are an Army Corp campground on a lake in North Dakota that is completely free yet has awesome camp spots right on the lake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trex1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	193996   Click image for larger version

Name:	trex2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	193997  

Click image for larger version

Name:	trex3.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	193998   Click image for larger version

Name:	trex4.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	193999  

KTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 05:01   #133

Boat: Bali 4.0

I guess we went the opposite direction??

We spent the 7 years before buying a boat living in a campervan and exploring. We loved it... and oddly, always called our van the "land yacht", so I guess we should have known this was inevitable at some point.

The transition from vanlife to boat life was easy (other than the bit about teaching ourselves to sail), and I would imagine that the transition from boat to van would be even easier except for missing the water and all the hard work.

Seriously though... it is an absolutely beautiful way to keep the nomadic and exploratory nature of cruising and move it onto land. We lived in the van(s) all 4 seasons and explorered almost every inch of the west from Panama to the arctic ocean (AND LOVED EVERY SECOND OF IT).
I think for us, the future will always hold a bit of both.

theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 05:14   #134

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDangerz View Post
Seriously though... it is an absolutely beautiful way to keep the nomadic and exploratory nature of cruising and move it onto land. We lived in the van(s) all 4 seasons and explorered almost every inch of the west from Panama to the arctic ocean (AND LOVED EVERY SECOND OF IT).
I think for us, the future will always hold a bit of both.
Beautiful pics, great looking van. Any thoughts on cost comparison. I can really see a future for us of living 1/2 year on the boat and the other 1/2 in a similar van as yours.
Old 29-06-2019, 05:24   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDangerz View Post

We spent the 7 years before buying a boat living in a campervan and exploring. We loved it... and oddly, always called our van the "land yacht", so I guess we should have known this was inevitable at some point.
I've always liked your garage conversion too. Living large in small spaces makes a lot of sense to me.
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising