Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2017, 16:13   #16

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch
Re: Run Aground

4 times so far. Sand mud and coral, got off all by healing over with the sails and powering off.
Full keel wood.
Just some minor scrapes on the lead is all.
Old 31-12-2017, 16:54   #17

Let's see...
Heavy impacts with bottom or something on the bottom=4 (4-5 knots to complete stop)
Soft grounding= a couple.
Long fin/skeg rudder or near full keel in all.
Damage=0 other than bottom paint.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 18:44   #18

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

I don't use bottom paint so I figure any groundings are a net positive due to a few knocked off barnacles

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 19:11   #19

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papasail View Post
To all:
I need 3 numbers from everyone:
Why do you need these numbers?
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 19:19   #20

My boat 12 plus, 3, 1 Three of those times needed to be pulled off including being pulled off by a jet ski (didn't think it would work for a 15 ton full keel sailboat)
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 21:38   #21

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

maybe 10 times

Full keel

Never any damage, just wait for the tide and float off. The bottom is usually weedy limestone.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 22:54   #22

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA

1: Entering an inlet off the Delaware bay, bump and turned around.

2: Reef/rock on the east side of the lagoon in Bora Bora. (I should have exited exactly the way I came in.) Big bump, slight crunch, kept forward motion, drove away. I took a look when I anchored and saw some paint was missing, down to the fiberglass in places.

3: A week ago in the Mooloolaba river. An hour before low tide. Got stuck in the mud and had to wait 4hrs for it to come around.

Many other slight glances and once while anchored.
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:52   #23

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

Only hit bottom three times I think, all on sand and we were going slow. First time took off antifoul on mini-keel as it was only put on the day before so still soft. All due to very shallow water in recognised channels.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:42   #24

Without wrankling noses and causing (too large) a fight, the questions purpose has been to clarify a much-bandied-about topic: safety vs. utility in considering the different underside keel arrangements: example/ long keel is "safer," when bangin' hard, but difficult to navigate a complicated parking lot, vs. fin - keel/ slightly less tank-like, but parks easier, vs. spade rudder and bulb keel - might be more vulnerable, but live like an open floor plan home, and fly like the wind.

A little more patience, and I'll purchase my liveaboard: knowing the distinct realities (vs. dreamed-up fear-mongering abstract worries of the human mind) will help me put those useless worries to rest. I progressed from ultra-safe long-keel perspective, to skeg/ fin-keel's ability to deliver utility and windward promise (and still be perfectly safe), to wondering if I can get away with murder/ safety-be-damned, and live on an open-sunlit floor plan,
and fly with exhilliration!

I'll be an all-arounder as a liveaboard: blue water/ thin water/ small water/ big water.... I've spent a great deal of time (since I was forced to wait, regardless {little kids/ now bigger}) trying to know the merits of all sailboats, so I can make a great decision that will help protect my investment.

I am impressed already with general number of run-agrounds/ virtually all without real mishap, so it does displace some trepidation, though seeing ((real)) sinkings let's me know the concerns are real enough to be valid on rare occassions.

Jeanneau DS
Vs.
Halberg-Rassey ($$$)
Vs.
Tayana

Other considerations at $150,000 liveaboard??

Thanks all
Papasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:17   #25

Boat: '78 Hatteras 48LRC, 48' 10"

You need (this info)? For what purpose?
Greg Brannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:56   #26

A fin keels ability to windward sounds nice in theory. Don't seem to find many dedicated long range cruising boats with one though. Mostly for lighter preformance oriented boats, they sure are fun in flat water!! Not so fun trying to get upwind, with the motor going as well, only to be pushed backwards by a marginally angry sea.
IslandHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:59   #27

Insurance will protect your floating condo investment, only you and your safety are as secure as you can make them.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:17   #28
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ps grounding a full keeled formosa with wide bottomed keel is awesome..stands upright under easy situations, water rises water drops boat stands up. can inspect keel and turn of hull to keel easily. water rises, boat moves to different place for anchoring.
turning diameter instead of radius can turn off some folks, but i like it. just gotta know how to use it best.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:25   #29

I think the bigger question/debate/battle is who sits prettier at anchor. I wonder how many have been intentionally run aground because their owner just couldn't take it anymore. Along with a soft market a hard grounding sounds like a no brainer
Old 01-01-2018, 09:25   #30

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

The biggest problem we have run into have been fishing nets and pangas wilthout lights at night. The pangas we pick up with the radar, but the nets are something else! This gives "proper watch at all times" a very real meaning! What we are now doing is, if we pick up a target or targets at night, slow the boat down and place a person with a strong flash light at the bow. We keep this up until we are away from any targets. This helps with fisherman, but does not rule out other issues. This is not running aground, but has been a large head ache for us. Maybe #4 on your survey?
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote