Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 21:46   #166

Boat: OPB
[QUOTE="Bash"]

Seriously, there are only two reasons for an unintentional roundup. You're either over-canvassed, or a gust has caught you by surprise.

Or the runners get fouled on a jibe.

Like I said, those examples were based more on racing than cruising. It was 4 in the morning, those examples were what came to mind. I suppose what's normal for racing would definitely be over canvassed cruising. I prefer to think that rather than being over canvassed, we are under ruddered.
I race for thrills, I cruise to relax, totally different styles.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled topic.
I.Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 21:50   #167
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Rules & Etiquette for Visitors Aboard Your Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Grind View Post
Or the runners get fouled on a jibe.
Runners are evil, and I will never again own a boat that resorts to them.

However, just as someone should never blame rounding up on his boat, he shouldn't blame it on his runners either.
Old 02-05-2012, 22:11   #168

Boat: OPB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash

Runners are evil, and I will never again own a boat that resorts to them.

However, just as someone should never blame rounding up on his boat, he shouldn't blame it on his runners either.
Not blaming, just saying you left that one out.

One mans evil, is another mans fun!
I.Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:24   #169

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Careful about whistling up a gale, BC.

Funny retort. This just seemed a little much: "And I don't round up. Ever."
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:30   #170

Boat: True North 34

Too early for guests on our new boat but, on previous boats...

Rules are for pussies, we tell 'em nothing. When they inevitably make a mistake, we just point, laugh, mock and humiliate them until they curl up into the foetal position, jabbering. If they break something, we tie it around their neck and make them walk the plank, clutching two 10 lb fishing weights.

As a last resort, we invoke maritime law, e.g. No, you can't come off your eighteen-hour watch for a pee, it's against maritime law, you have to do all the cooking as crew, it's maritime law, you can't argue with the skipper... etc. etc.

Works for us.
Knapweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:45   #171
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knapweed View Post

Rules are for pussies, we tell 'em nothing. When they inevitably make a mistake, we just point, laugh, mock and humiliate them until they curl up into the foetal position, jabbering. If they break something, we tie it around their neck and make them walk the plank, clutching two 10 lb fishing weights.

As a last resort, we invoke maritime law, e.g. No, you can't come off your eighteen-hour watch for a pee, it's against maritime law, you have to do all the cooking as crew, it's maritime law, you can't argue with the skipper... etc. etc.

Works for us.
Sounds reasonable
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 21:53   #172

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knapweed

Works for us.
I love it. That's hilarious. There you go.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:42   #173

Boat: O'Day 28

[QUOTE=Knapweed;943929As a last resort, we invoke maritime law, e.g. No, you can't come off your eighteen-hour watch for a pee, ...
. [/QUOTE]

Sometimes you just have to pee in the cockpit.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:14   #174

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knapweed View Post

Works for us.
hahahaaha! Laughed my ass off!
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 16:29   #175

Boat: Bespoke fishing MV 34'
pirate Re: Rules & Etiquette for Visitors Aboard Your Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
I have one rule for ALL persons aboard Seraph.

It's posted in a prominent position;

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS TRY DOING WHAT THE CAPTAIN SUGGESTED
Hear-hear!

Rule #1 . . . The Skipper is God on this boat.
Rule #2 . . . In case of difficulty in understanding Rule #1 please push the gang-plank back tidily when you are told to leave!
Old 01-11-2012, 18:28   #176

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

as skipper, I tried the maritime law thing today. My wife ignored me...again...
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:19   #177

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Just my two cents, but it seems the key thing lots of posters are ignoring is horses for courses.

Some skippers are better suited for some crews and some crews are better suited for some skippers.

Some of the first clues are how a crew member will react to the head on the skippers boat. Sure there may be some boats where you push a button and that is the end of it, but I would bet for most of us using the head on a boat for the first time is a learning process. The first thing lots of males need to learn is to sit down and even then you may need to clean up when you are finished.

Even back in the 1960s I was sometimes taken by surprise by peeps who would spark up with no notice. Same goes for drinking beer (whatever) when others might feel it should be put off till the work is done.

One thing I have noticed both on land and on boats is that some folks just seem to rub some other folks the wrong way.

So the key in my mind is how do you find peeps you want to sail with that are compatible with you being the skipper, or you being the crew on a boat with a skipper you can live with.

I would almost bet there list peeps and no list peeps so having, or not having, a list might be a good way to do a first screen. It would help get a list skipper a list crew and a no list skipper a no list crew.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:28   #178

Boat: 33ft sloop

If you don't know to behave - on a boat or not - means a deficit in your upbringing and education.

Takes met two seconds to see.

I prefer (therefore) not to take passengers. And when, I have known them for some time.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:13   #179
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl
Just my two cents, but it seems the key thing lots of posters are ignoring is horses for courses.

Some skippers are better suited for some crews and some crews are better suited for some skippers.

Some of the first clues are how a crew member will react to the head on the skippers boat. Sure there may be some boats where you push a button and that is the end of it, but I would bet for most of us using the head on a boat for the first time is a learning process. The first thing lots of males need to learn is to sit down and even then you may need to clean up when you are finished.

Even back in the 1960s I was sometimes taken by surprise by peeps who would spark up with no notice. Same goes for drinking beer (whatever) when others might feel it should be put off till the work is done.

One thing I have noticed both on land and on boats is that some folks just seem to rub some other folks the wrong way.

So the key in my mind is how do you find peeps you want to sail with that are compatible with you being the skipper, or you being the crew on a boat with a skipper you can live with.

I would almost bet there list peeps and no list peeps so having, or not having, a list might be a good way to do a first screen. It would help get a list skipper a list crew and a no list skipper a no list crew.
So here, most skippers, myself included, will always provide the basic running rules that come with a day out on the boat. Some skippers have an exhaustive 8 page "contract" and others have a shorter "contract."

Mine is pretty basic and includes, no glass bottles, drinking OK, smoking OK, no hard shoes, wht you can/may or should bring (hats, sunblock, food, clothing) and maybe a couple of others I can cover at the briefing like don't jump to the dock, don't get between the boat and any hard objects, here's how and when to don a vest, you can help with the lines if you are confortable but you are not expected to.

The point about "knowing" your guests is an important one but I have and will continue to take relative strangers on board because we are a social boat for the most part. Whether one gets to come back or wants to come back is very similar to a first date and that is all about compatibility.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:50   #180
Armchair Bucketeer

Some Skippers rely on crew / passengers / guests having the gift of second sight.

The irony being that if the Skipper had the gift of foresight that many problems / confusions / dissapointments could have easily been avoided.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote