Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2021, 17:59   #1

Rock & a CoVid place...

So here I am with 4’ of (melting) snow outside, thinking that though I got big bang-for-my-buck by buying a farm in Maine (I looked all over the U.S. for ports with affordable housing), I suddenly realized it’s cold up here during the winter ([emoji23]). I revisited the idea of buying a cheap shack in florida (scary all by itself, I know), but I was trying to contrast that, against, say, anchoring out. A). Apparently there is now a severe housing crisis in Florida, and CoVid just made that far worse = ain’t no cheap houses/ not even a shack. B). Is it even possible to “anchor out,” anywhere in Florida in the first place?

Thanks, from a snowbird wannabe...
Bill
Papasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 18:43   #2

Boat: Spindrift 43
Re: Rock & a CoVid place...

Hello from Florida. For what it’s worth, our market is white hot...think 2006 all over again. In my neighborhood, a house will pop up on the market and will be in a multi-bid situation within 12 hours. I’m not advocating this nonsense, I’m just observing it. There are some slightly cooler pockets here, but this is not a buyer’s market at all.

And fun fact, virtually ALL buyers I’m seeing are cash buyers from... the North. Come on down, but if it’s a house you want, bring $300-700+ cash (For a very average piece of the suburbs) and act fast if you find what you like.

If you have the kind of money to do that, it’s POSSIBLE to do a live aboard at a marina, though challenging (these days). Some marinas need a picture of your boat first! Times are really changing.

At anchor, sure. You can do that without many restrictions. Check out the Manatee River (just using a local area for example). If you’re from the north, you won’t like 80% of the year temp-wise though.
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:51   #3

I remember reading quite a few years back that fully 2/3rds of the people who move to Florida will move back to the north within 2 years. They come to visit in the winter and think it is great. Then they move down here, get a load of the heat and humidity of a Florida summer, and decide it's not for them.

So, before moving to Florida, I always recommend an extended visit during July/August. If you can tolerate that (and, personally, I love it) then you will probably be okay.

I will also note that if you live really close to the water, then that has a serious moderating effect, and it is not quite as bad as living inland. But you do have to be quite close to the water, and that means much more expensive housing and living costs. So it's a trade-off.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:18   #4

Florida in the summer is miserable...but he mentioned snowbird, so I assume he heads back north in the summer.

It's possible to anchor out but if you are planning to anchor in one location for months, don't be surprised when you are encouraged to move along. Also, depending on the location, access to shore can be a challenge.

PS: Based on your other thread about a jury rigged electrical system...please don't become one of the derelict boats sunk on the side of the ICW. If you can't afford to maintain it properly, please don't make it harder on the next cruiser.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:59   #5

Not sure I wrote anything about an electrical system. I was born & raised in Arkansas, and have just moved to Maine... as a kid, I always lusted after Florida’s beaches, but what I was reading didn’t make it seem practical: a serious drug problem; outrageous home and condo prices (with high HOA fees), low pay, CoVid, and (increasing?) hurricanes... summer heat, and humidity... I was raised with it. I think as I age, either extreme (hot or cold), seems to exact a price. The water is freakin’ COLD up here, and I miss jumping in.... *which makes me think of alli-ma-gators, and boa-restrictors.
[emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]...[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Bill
Old 02-03-2021, 09:14   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

Grant Peoples knows all about Florida.

Capt Clark
Capt Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:16   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papasail View Post
Not sure I wrote anything about an electrical system.
My bad. Another new user with a similar name starting with "P" on a different thread and I thought it was the same.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:08   #8

Grant Peeples just about nails it, though I could see some opportunities that would allow the knife to be pushed in just a little further... [emoji6]

Cue Psycho movie music:
Reee-REEE-Reee-REEE: [emoji380]
Old 02-03-2021, 10:12   #9

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

My main feeling about Florida is how happy I am to be leaving it when I see the coast recede in the distance on my way to Abaco. And, btw, I grew up in Florida. Just my two cents.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote