Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2016, 15:19   #211
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Richardson Bay liveaboards, heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
The folks on the bay, have no other options. There really is nowhere else for most of them to go.
That's an assumption that you are not qualified to make. And even if your assumption is true, Richardson Bay is not the solution to the problem.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 15:25   #212
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
That's an assumption that you are not qualified to make. And even if your assumption is true, Richardson Bay is not the solution to the problem.

LOL, Hey, I've talked to some of anchor outs and know their story. No assumptions required.

So, FB. where else can they go??? Enlighten me.

Perhaps mexico. Alas Mexico only whats rich Gringos/Gringa's. Southen california where Nimby rules... Where do they go.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 15:25   #213
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

instead of ass-umptions why not make a compromise for these folks--as they did in san diego-- the residents of anchorage 8, the unruly anesthesiologists, navy seal teams medics and surgeons , dentist, among others, were forced to relocate their boats into the laurel street, aka downtown moorings, in front of gods and everybody, pay rent and cooperate with the folks around em , somewhat.
that cleaned up the anchorage and the tenants of san diego bay are still happy , some few years later....oh yes, and annual uscg aux and police inspections for sea worthiness, which includes propulsion, safety equipment and toilet compliance. doesnt cover keeping sea water out, btw.....
the rest of sentence i didnt finish-- the same boats still look same as did in anchorage 8. the compromise was not a ridding san diego bay of anything.
the ugly is still there, only now it is in front of everyones' eyes.
mexico is not an option, as it is required that boats be in marinas in ensenada.. and to do anything requires dough they donot have -- va and or ssi is not liveable income, in case you guys forgot.
yes i have also asked each one met what is their story--it is actually quite fascinating.
i also proudly contributed to the destruction of sd bay's perfectly perfect look by donating 2 boats to the homeless vets i met on street.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 15:41   #214
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

So, FB. where else can they go??? Enlighten me.
How about moving them to whatever little slough you call home?
Old 10-01-2016, 15:42   #215

Boat: Formosa 41

My question to the people who don't want them there is, "Where do you want them to go?"
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 15:44   #216

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:

I'm in Charleston, SC and I'm anchored next to boats that aren't as pretty as mine.

I'm not having a problem with it.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 15:47   #217
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Alas I don't have a Home slough. I get bored looking at the same thing for too long. So I move about a bit. Nicer that way. Plus winters I have a slip.... Getting soft in my old age.... Shocking I know.
Old 10-01-2016, 15:49   #218
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For the powerboats in the bay, they could not afford the $400-$500 in gas/diesel just to get to the delta. That whole no money thingy. IF they had money they would be somewhere else.... Like I do.
Old 10-01-2016, 16:48   #219

Again, what is the primary source of these materials? Sewage treatment facilities, runoff and outfalls from landside sources. What record exists of incidents in Richardson Bay where significant petroleum and sewage spills have come from pleasure boats? Below is a partial list sewage spills in Marin and the SF Bay area.
* Heavy storms during winter 2009/2010 caused multiple sewage spills and treatment facility overflows. As of June 2010, nearly 12 million gallons in sewage spills were reported from cities around the Bay Area, and the City of Richmond alone spilled over 11 million gallons. Meanwhile, 173 million gallons of partially treated sewage were released into the Bay from overflow facilities in the East Bay, including 1 million discharged on April 11 during weekend rains.
* July 05, 2012 - About 1,000 gallons of sewage spilled into Greenbrae creek Tuesday afternoon after an equipment failure at a Marin sewage pump station.
* February 19, 2009 - A broken pipe gushed at least 500,000 gallons of partially treated sewage into San Francisco bay by Wednesday afternoon as Sausalito, California sanitary plant officials continued to try to contain the spill more than 24 hours after it was spotted.
*January 31, 2008 - Nearly 3 million gallons of sewage spilled into San Francisco Bay when a pump failed at a waste treatment facility, the Marin County Sheriff's Department told CNN on Friday. The Marin County Department of Environmental Health was conducting tests Friday to determine how far the contamination had spread, Pittman said. Boaters were being warned to avoid the Richardson Bay area, and residents were told to avoid contact with the water.
*May 13, 2008 - About 64,000 gallons of partially treated sewage spilled into the bay off Tiburon early Tuesday when the failure of sewage plant pumps caused an overflow.
* February 2, 2008 - Residents and officials throughout Marin County were upset Friday that they were not notified for almost a day that 2.7 million gallons of treated and raw sewage had spilled into Richardson Bay.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 16:51   #220

The Richardson Bay Regional Authority does not have the authority or power to restrict or prohibit anchoring in Richardson Bay. Period. Before, during or after 72 hours.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 17:18   #221

Liam, your logic is correct. However, the issue is that the "authorities" keep going after the little guys and do NOTHING about the major contributors while continuing the pollution mantra.

It should work both ways.

And if they provided a place for dinghies and toilet facilities, they would be used.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 17:58   #222

I don't think bringing up lack of sewage compliance has anything to do with the bay. If these boats were clean and fit for the job they were designed for, the owner was careful to restrict there impact on their fellow Americans and visitors, would we still be discussing this issue. My initial feeling is they should be removed, now I feel they should be assisted to clean up their mess by making available a barge to collect the clutter. Just by removing the garbage from the decks of the vessels would improve much more than just the aesthetics of the bay.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 18:23   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Ya left out the most important words. "homeless person"

Funny. The RBRA mantra is filled with myths and exaggerations, including the one about heaps of "stuff" ending up in the Bay with the next blow. Far as I know, nobody has actually wittnessed such an event. As far as "orderliness and cleanliness" goes, it's an entirely personal thing meaning different things to different folks. I doubt anyone would really care what you think about their level of "order and cleanliness".

Your judgement is based upon what?

And who is to judge?

Well, I ain't an anchor out, but I'm heavy lifting in an effort to get sailors and the RBRA moving in tandem toward a fair outcome in Richardson Bay for those who favor a private mooring and those of us who prefer to anchor. Presently, so numerous are the (unauthorized) private moorings there is no room left for those of us who want to anchor...
Your're probably right - I guess the misc junk floating around (typically after some weather) likely fell from the sky. And while I agree my that my particular opinions/standards are not important, those of society as a collective are - and this issue exists because the general public (both boating and non) finds the current RB situation unacceptable. And while I tend to agree, my problem is not with how others choose to live. Rather, it's 1) with the numerous, tightly anchored and unlit/abandoned boats on the Sausalito side of the channel that I used to have to weave through a few days a week in the middle of the night to get into my old marina, and 2) with the boats that sink or break away after each " storm ".
Uncle Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 19:59   #224
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
My question to the people who don't want them there is, "Where do you want them to go?"
I don't care where they go. It is not my responsibility to relocate these people. As long as it is legal for them to be there and as long as they obey whatever rules exist in that location, I'm fine with it. That I don't have a destination at hand does not justify them staying where they are, however.
Old 10-01-2016, 20:15   #225
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Alas I don't have a Home slough. I get bored looking at the same thing for too long. So I move about a bit. Nicer that way.
Yes, I understand. A change of scenery is nice. No looking at the same couple of hundred POS derelict floating junkpiles every single friggin' day. How very convenient for you. Too bad the residents of Sausalito (who actually pay Marin County property taxes, unlike you or your Richardson Bay liveaboard friends) don't have that option.

Tags
head, liveaboard