Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2015, 12:31   #1

Richardson Bay liveaboards, heads up!

Last chance to ward off a San Diego type experience in Richardson Bay fast approaches. For those of you unfamiliar with anchoring restrictions in San Diego, they are of the type that limit anchoring to a specific time period. Much different from what we've had in Richardson Bay that require a permit if you're anchoring more than 72 hours. These permits have no time limit. HOWEVER. There's a new ordinance:

Ordinance_91_1 Section 5(a)

"Any person may temporarily anchor a vessel for a period not more than 72 hours, in any 7 day period, in the designated anchorage areas without a permit."

See the change?

This ordinance will probably lie dormant until such time as the Richardson Bay Regional Agency constructs a "...mooring field without amenities". If it gets built that is. The Sausalito City Council balked at making their proportionate $ contribution to the mooring field while they measure public sentiment toward it. A public event is scheduled for November 12 at the Spinnaker Restaurant where Ben Berto, Clerk to the RBRA will be making his "plug" for the mooring field. How they'll measure "public sentiment" afterward will probably be a questionaire.

Note that the "mooring field without amenities" does not, as of today, include an anchorage of any kind. I'm working to get that changed.

The point is, that as soon as the moorings are in, some as of yet missing ordinances will probaby be adopted by the RBRA giving us a San Diego type experience, making living aboard at anchor in Richardson Bay nigh impossible.

I supported moorings provided there is an anchorage too. But now, I'm beginning to believe the cure to the Richardson Bay chaos may be worse than the disease; and launching a public effort to influence public opinion against the moorings may be our best chance of heading off a San Diego type experience here.

There'll be one more RBRA meeting before the Spinnaker event. I've requested two items be added to the meeting agenda. Change the name of the Plan from "a mooring field without amenities" to "a mooring field without amenities, plus an anchorage". If they refuse, what lies ahead is pretty clear. The second item is to discuss the motivation and purpose of the aforementioned ordinance. Demand a recission.

For other reasons, the meeting should be something you'll not want to miss. Make yourself heard there and at the Spinnaker event!

emails to RBRA Board members, Staff & City Manager:

To:
"LeslieAlden" <LAlden@marincounty.org>
Cc:
"KathrinSears" <KSears@marincounty.org> "mwinter@cityofbelvedere.org" <mwinter@cityofbelvedere.org> "erin2000@hotmail.com" <erin2000@hotmail.com> "herbweiner@ci.sausalito.ca.us" <herbweiner@ci.sausalito.ca.us> "kwachtel@krwlaw.net" <kwachtel@krwlaw.net> "Jill Hoffman (jhoffman@ci.sausalito.ca.us)" <jhoffman@ci.sausalito.ca.us> "BillPrice" <BPrice@marincounty.org> "BenjaminBerto" <BBerto@marincounty.org> "Adam Politzer (apolitzer@ci.sausalito.ca.us)" <apolitzer@ci.sausalito.ca.us>
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 14:19   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 28
Re: Richardson Bay liveaboards, heads up!

I've heard a lot about the Richardson anchorage. Right now, do you need a permit of any kind and is there a time limit to how long you can remain there?

How is it? I've heard a little bit of both sides, some say it's dangerous and some at its great. I know it's an important spot for cruisers going up or down the coast, or those on a limited budget, or those who don't like marinas to stay and prepare before going on a longer passage, to Mexico or across the pacific.

What is the place like?
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 14:40   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
I've heard a lot about the Richardson anchorage. Right now, do you need a permit of any kind and is there a time limit to how long you can remain there?

How is it? I've heard a little bit of both sides, some say it's dangerous and some at its great. I know it's an important spot for cruisers going up or down the coast, or those on a limited budget, or those who don't like marinas to stay and prepare before going on a longer passage, to Mexico or across the pacific.

What is the place like?

Using the Google Custom Search on the CF search menu is fast and easy way to get answers to commonly discussed topics within the forum.

Using the search term "Richardson bay" yields many comments.

Richardson bay - Google Search
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 14:52   #4

Quote:
Technically staying longer than 72 hours requires a permit, but no monitoring of arriving vessels or enforcement of this exists at this time.

Quote:

What is the place like?
There are presently no open Port moorings. The east side of the main channel has, depending upon who you believe, between 218 and 258 boats on a mixture of private (unauthorized) moorings or anchored. The area, the farther to the north one goes is increasingly shoaled and shallow. Theft and substance abuse are problems. Finding a safe, secure spot near shore to anchor with easy access is a challenge.

The Bay is downright dangerous in winter storms, north and south. Best choice is to leave the Bay beforehand. Fetch an alternate sheltered anchorage.

Sausalito itself is worth a visit. Good Bay area transit and although you'll need to leave Sausalito to find stuff at lower cost, it's not hard getting where you need to go. It just takes time.
Old 04-10-2015, 14:54   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 28

Imdon't do that. I joined a forum to actively talk to people and get the most up to date information. If I wanted to search for old topics I could never have created an account.

Well, I do read older topics, but this is a rapidly changing anchorage, I don't want to know what it was like years ago.

I just hate the "Google is your friend answer". You probably didn't mean it to be rude.
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 14:58   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Using the Google Custom Search on the CF search menu is fast and easy way to get answers to commonly discussed topics within the forum.

Using the search term "Richardson bay" yields many comments.

Richardson bay - Google Search
Or you can follow this thread to perhaps receive replies you'll not find elsewhere. Why the effort to divert conversation away from here?
Old 04-10-2015, 15:06   #7

Quote:
Imdon't do that. I joined a forum to actively talk to people and get the most up to date information. If I wanted to search for old topics I could never have created an account.

Well, I do read older topics, but this is a rapidly changing anchorage, I don't want to know what it was like years ago.

I just hate the "Google is your friend answer". You probably didn't mean it to be rude.
He didn't say use Google, he said use the Google search engine on this site. BIG difference.

You could do your homework, because "Wrong" and many others of us have typed answers to your questions all within the last few months.

Reality is not much has changed in the past 10 or more years, soyou can feel free to do your homework without missing anything.

The NEW stuff is what "Wrong" just posted. Good stuff, thanks, "Wrong."
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 15:53   #8

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:

What is the place like?
It might have the only place in the San Fran Bay that you can dry your boat out and do the bottom, for free. Right along the main street is a public boat ramp that has a 24 hour limit and high piles for tying up to. Nice bottom.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:37   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
It might have the only place in the San Fran Bay that you can dry your boat out and do the bottom, for free. Right along the main street is a public boat ramp that has a 24 hour limit and high piles for tying up to. Nice bottom.
This is plain wrong. Try it, and you'll receive a visit from the police and at the very least a citation. Signs prohibit tying there...
Old 05-10-2015, 08:04   #10

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
This is plain wrong. Try it, and you'll receive a visit from the police and at the very least a citation. Signs prohibit tying there...
That's too bad, since when? It was not that many years ago that it was a common thing to do there. Shouldn't be surprised, things change.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:13   #11

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
The Bay is downright dangerous in winter storms, north and south. Best choice is to leave the Bay beforehand. Fetch an alternate sheltered anchorage.
I stayed one year at anchor in richardson bay, and two months at anchor in wellington harbor.

I was in storms in both places and I can say that richardson bay (45 knots) was nothing compared to wellington (60 knots) For me, richardsons bay was not really dangerous provided you have a good anchor.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:15   #12
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
That's too bad, since when? It was not that many years ago that it was a common thing to do there. Shouldn't be surprised, things change.
My guess is it was never legal to do that. For sure it was never cool to do that.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:26   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
I stayed one year at anchor in richardson bay, and two months at anchor in wellington harbor.

I was in storms in both places and I can say that richardson bay (45 knots) was nothing compared to wellington (60 knots) For me, richardsons bay was not really dangerous provided you have a good anchor.
You were fortunate to have only seen 45 knots. Just like everywhere else when you're in a storm, it's not the wind that gets you, it's the waves.. Particularly when the storm is a souther, the fetch into Richardsoon Bay is long and the wave heights generated sink boats and people have died trying to intercept dragging boats.

I always leave the Bay when a storm is forecast. In 2008 I was sheltering in Clipper Cove when wind gusts were upwards of 80 m.p.h.. Try out Richardson Bay in those conditions then retell your story about how it's "not really dangerous...".
Old 05-10-2015, 08:27   #14
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

BTW- people have died, trying to save adrift or dragging boats during storms in the largely unregulated Richardson Bay "anchorage." The great majority of the boats that are anchored there are serious derelicts and other POS.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:59   #15

Quote:
Which is precisely what the original point behind this thread is about. Impending change that if allowed to mature will affect anyone's ability to live aboard on the hook in Richardson Bay.

Folks need to at the very least send emails to the Sausalito City Council and Richardson Bay Regional Agency demanding three things.

1.) An anchorage be included in any plan to build a mooring field.
2.) The ordinance mentioned in my first post be rescinded.
3.) That Richardson Bay be declared open to "owner occupied" boats only.

Also, a bank would never finance construction of a building without plans, specifications and a coontract. Yet, three of the four municipalities that comprise the RBRA Board have done just that, approved their proportionate $ contribution toward constructing the mooring field absent important information. Tell the RBRA, City Councils in towns represented on the RBRA Board, your personal contacts and anyone else who may care this. You want the approvals withdrawn until such time as RBRA Staff, Ben Berto and Bill Price; and, or the so-called Advisory Committee puts some meat on the bones of the mooring field "Plan to build a mooring field without amenities". Then and only then should the RBRA Board members consider fronting the cost.

Any new ordinances the RBRA plans to create in order to make the mooring field viable must be revealed in advance so anyone wishing to challenge them can do so without having to use a referendum during an election cycle.

Tags
head, liveaboard