Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2016, 08:59   #46

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Re: Retiring... where?

I haven't read all the responses so apologies if I touch on anything that has already been said.

One thing you should carefully consider is the climate (every month) for highs and lows, storms, etc. Many of retire to Mexico (west coast is really your only option for what you want to do) and find it is just too dang hot in the summer and they have to either give it up or take summers off to go to cooler climes.

Mexico is popular for some retirees though. I think most who want to be on the hook stay up in the Sea of Cortez for much of the year and go south for variety. Or, if you have the funds you can stay in a protected marina like La Cruz or Puerto Vallarta. Still storms occasionally in the summer though.

I was considering retiring to Ecuador for quite a while. It checks all the boxes on your list except for sailing. And some storms and more earthquakes. Also lots of expats moving in, but mostly in the already expatted locations.

Many go to the South Pacific to New Zealand in the off season (marina or anchored a few places) and then take off for the sailing season when the typhoons don't rule. You have have a real mix of smaller more exotic places and a first class country with all the amenities. Being Canadian, NZ is easier to deal with papers wise. They don't like older people there for long term in general but if you leave once a year to cruise it is pretty easy.

SE Asia is popular as noted above but I don't have any experience there. Australia is widely accused of being very expensive. Some may dispute that though. And their rules for boats are draconian.

Have fun and enjoy life wherever you go. We share your love of other cultures.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 09:30   #47

Quote:
SE Asia is popular as noted above but I don't have any experience there.
I REALLY like SE Asia......people, culture, food, beauty, cost of living, climate etc.

However...A big thing to consider is MEDICAL. A few places in SE I've considered spending part of my retirement time has questionable medical care. I look at an area and ask myself...."where could I go if I had a heart attack"...sounds a bit paranoid, but a real issue for an older person.

FWIW, Thailand tics most all the boxes for me. I've had EXCELLENT medical care there.
Old 15-08-2016, 09:43   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
However...A big thing to consider is MEDICAL. A few places in SE I've considered spending part of my retirement time has questionable medical care. I look at an area and ask myself...."where could I go if I had a heart attack"...sounds a bit paranoid, but a real issue for an older person.

FWIW, Thailand tics most all the boxes for me. I've had EXCELLENT medical care there.
A lot of people here from here go to Singapore or the Philippines for medical treatment with excellent results at very reasonable cost.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 17:01   #49

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

For emergency care, like a stroke/heart attack, where minutes affect outcome, your only realistic option is to live in a major city. Here in Central America, I would only bank on Guate City or Panama City. Even then, given the chaotic traffic in both cities you may be screwed. Anywhere outside of major city in CA you are screwed.

My place on the Rio Dulce is a solid hour, mostly by boat, from even a mid sized hospital. True emergency, you have a problem. Have helped evacuate stroke/siezure victim and bad burn victim. They got lucky, they survived.

In Cangrejo district of Panama City tonight...very pleasant...certainly worse places to live.

Former friend of mine left Belize for Panama for this reason (because anywhere in Belize you are screwed)... ironically, he died of a heart attack in Panama.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 17:33   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
For emergency care, like a stroke/heart attack, where minutes affect outcome, your only realistic option is to live in a major city. Here in Central America, I would only bank on Guate City or Panama City. Even then, given the chaotic traffic in both cities you may be screwed. Anywhere outside of major city in CA you are screwed.

My place on the Rio Dulce is a solid hour, mostly by boat, from even a mid sized hospital. True emergency, you have a problem. Have helped evacuate stroke/siezure victim and bad burn victim. They got lucky, they survived.

In Cangrejo district of Panama City tonight...very pleasant...certainly worse places to live.

Former friend of mine left Belize for Panama for this reason (because anywhere in Belize you are screwed)... ironically, he died of a heart attack in Panama.
I will keep that in mind. Thank you.

Sorry about your friend. I guess there's no good place to die, but I suspect there are far worse places than in Panama with your friends.
DDup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 18:08   #51

Boat: Seafarer36c

On the other end of health care, on the Rio you can take a baggie of your poop to the lab without having to go to a doctor first. Try that in NYC.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 19:10   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDup View Post
I will keep that in mind. Thank you.

Sorry about your friend. I guess there's no good place to die, but I suspect there are far worse places than in Panama with your friends.
Gotta die somewhere, had a friend who died on the Rio...walking down the dock with a beer in his hand...grabbed his chest, said "Oh ****", splash, dead.

Made my top 10 list!
Old 15-08-2016, 19:13   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
On the other end of health care, on the Rio you can take a baggie of your poop to the lab without having to go to a doctor first. Try that in NYC.
Yes, a bonus of healthcare in CA in general...wanna lab test...go get it. Same with many meds (for better or worse).
Old 16-08-2016, 00:42   #54

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDup View Post
rourkeh, that is obviously not at all what I want to hear

But I thank you for the valuable perspective.

Agree with Ken on this -- this is nonsense -- there are a lot of posting on this forum of what it costs. We have been out 9 years and live on our social security checks and keep the boat in first class condition -- we do publish our cost each year and it is every cent we spend

No we don't carry our golf clubs and fly to exotic locations multiple times a year but we do inland travel a lot - this year we visited inland Georgia, Armenia, Russia, and this week will visit Ukraine, Poland and maybe Moldova - we don't get a lot of time as we have to watch the weather and our timing to get out of the Black Sea before the fall winds set in and make a somewhat reasonable passage truly uncomfortable.

go here and you get an idea

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ta-164643.html
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 04:47   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, sparti.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote