Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2014, 13:27   #1

Residency / Homeschooling / Boat Registration

Hi All,

I hope this is the right place for this. I have been reading through the forum's and still have not quite found the right answers.

We are from Oklahoma and are looking to go live aboard / cruising for a few years. We currently have our house up for sale and expect to net a good enough amount to do this (+130k). Once our home is sold, we plan to move to an apartment for a short time until we find the boat we like (while still living in OK). We like everything about Oklahoma except for the fact it's land bound. We love all of our law's, especially homeschooling where there are no regulations. We have 4 kids and don't really care for homeschooling laws in Texas or Flordia. I have read that there are mail services you can get to establish residency in a certain state. If we can keep our residency in Oklahoma, here are my questions:

Boat registration: Can a blue water boat be register in Oklahoma? Any CG issues with this?

Legal: Would we still fall under our home state laws? Such as Homeschool laws? Can I keep my drivers license in OK and Handgun permit in OK?

I don't see how it would be any different then an extended vacation from OK. Just boat registration and CG stuff is what I am unsure about. After we are finished (whenever that may be) we may go full live aboard in Flordia or return to Ok.

Some extra info. / background: We have done several years of research on this (books, this forum, etc...) so we have a good idea of what this will be like. After our home sells we plan to either crew a boat for a week or charter a cruise just to make sure we will like it. We are already homeschooling so that is not really an issue. We really plan to mostly cruise this whole time.

Any other advice or suggestions is appreciated!
elireloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 09:14   #2

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: Residency / Homeschooling / Boat Registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by elireloaded View Post
Hi All,

If we can keep our residency in Oklahoma, here are my questions:

Boat registration: Can a blue water boat be register in Oklahoma? Any CG issues with this?

Legal: Would we still fall under our home state laws? Such as Homeschool laws? Can I keep my drivers license in OK and Handgun permit in OK?

I don't see how it would be any different then an extended vacation from OK. Just boat registration and CG stuff is what I am unsure about. After we are finished (whenever that may be) we may go full live aboard in Flordia or return to Ok.

Welcome to the forum! Fist off, yes you can register your boat in Oklahoma. HOWEVER, most foreign countries prefer to see USCG Documtation. Some (like the Bahamas) dont really care if its Federal or State, but a lot do. Also, you mentioned FL. If your boat is in Florida for 90+ days, you must register the boat in FL. Lastly, even if you keep your boat registered in OK, you would NOT be considered an Oklahoma resident just because your boat is registered there. You would need to maintain a physical address in OK. You'd have to do that anyway just to register the boat there. As for home schooling laws, I'm not really sure. I was home schooled in SC and so is my brother. I THINK they're pretty relaxed, but you'd have to check that. Good luck!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 09:17   #3

One last thing, the handgun. Laws very by state. I'm assuming you're referring to a Concealed Carry Permit. Some states have reciprocity in regards to that, others (like California and New York) require that you obtain their permit.

Old 19-04-2014, 09:51   #4

You need to differentiate between "register" and "document." Generally you have to register your boat in any state that you leave it in for a long enough time. Florida will require you to register it there if you leave it for more than 90 days.

You can, also federally document the boat with the Coast Guard, and this--in essence--takes the place of a title. When you document the boat you have to choose a hailing port, and the Coast Guard really doesn't care what you choose. Neither you, nor the boat, ever have to have been to the hailing port that you choose.

In general, I believe that the homeschooling laws depend on where you are. That is, if you are living in Florida for any significant period of time, they are probably going to want you to adhere to their laws. But that is something that you will have to verify state by state.

Same with the handgun permit. You are going to have to check the laws state by state.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 09:52   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

I'd be curious as to what bothers you about any "Homeschooling laws" in Florida. I found that the Florida school system, even back in the day when HS was not as popular as it is now, was very helpful. As far as Florida CWP it has reciprocity with Oklahoma. Though I would familiarize yourself with Floridas CWP laws
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 10:12   #6

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

My kids did their high school on the catamaran through the University of Nebraska. Very good curriculum. Lots of hard work. They have their high school diplomas from the University of Nebraska.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 05:24   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I'd be curious as to what bothers you about any "Homeschooling laws" in Florida. I found that the Florida school system, even back in the day when HS was not as popular as it is now, was very helpful. As far as Florida CWP it has reciprocity with Oklahoma. Though I would familiarize yourself with Floridas CWP laws
Florida requires documentation of study for each child, a letter of intent for each child and standardized testing, where as she stated, Oklahoma has no such requirements.

I'm currently contemplating the same "problem" however we plan to have NO residence on land so that only leaves us with a USCG title, which would mean just picking a HS friendly state with mild regulations. I'm assuming that is......
unkemptseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 06:49   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Florida has a free online virtual K-12 school for residents run by the department of education.

http://melearning.flvs.net/mobile/?source=flvs.net

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 22-04-2014, 07:48   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
You need to differentiate between "register" and "document." Generally you have to register your boat in any state that you leave it in for a long enough time. Florida will require you to register it there if you leave it for more than 90 days.

You can, also federally document the boat with the Coast Guard, and this--in essence--takes the place of a title. When you document the boat you have to choose a hailing port, and the Coast Guard really doesn't care what you choose. Neither you, nor the boat, ever have to have been to the hailing port that you choose.

In general, I believe that the homeschooling laws depend on where you are. That is, if you are living in Florida for any significant period of time, they are probably going to want you to adhere to their laws. But that is something that you will have to verify state by state.

Same with the handgun permit. You are going to have to check the laws state by state.

Appreciate all of the responses everyone!

I guess I need to research more about CG documentation and titles. So if I'm understanding correctly, we can register to our home state of Oklahoma but CG documentation requires an actual port? Question I guess is could I have the boat registered to Oklahoma then just choose a hailing port?

For our residency and laws, we are really looking to cruise and not stay in one place as much. I guess if we settle down in the Keys or something we can cross that bridge when we get to it. The issue becomes that we will really not have a physical address and I have read a few things on this.

1. Your last physical address is your assumed address and home state
  2. There are mail services available that will establish a physical address
  3. If you have a relative in a certain state, you can claim them as your physical address and have them catch your mail
I would assume that any of the above is true then we would be able to achieve want we are wanting to.

Funny thought I had the other day was what about jury duty? I have not read up much on that but I will have to do so.

I really appreciate the feedback on homeschooling. Thing is that the Government really has no (should not have) business in our kids education. In Oklahoma this is not an issue at all. Homeschooling is actually written into our state constitution and we are totally free from any regulations. We CHOOSE to do certain things and courses, but that again is our choice. I want to maintain the freedom to do so without having to answer to anyone.
Old 22-04-2014, 08:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkemptseeker View Post
Florida requires documentation of study for each child, a letter of intent for each child and standardized testing, where as she stated, Oklahoma has no such requirements.

I'm currently contemplating the same "problem" however we plan to have NO residence on land so that only leaves us with a USCG title, which would mean just picking a HS friendly state with mild regulations. I'm assuming that is......
*He...

But you are right on about everything. Also.. Jeb Bush is currently pushing common core which I have a HUGE issue with.

...I will try and not turn this in to politics but these issues do effect ones ability to do something like what I am asking. If we were totally free, then we would not all be here working to dissect the exact laws.
Old 22-04-2014, 08:12   #11

Quote:
*He...

But you are right on about everything. Also.. Jeb Bush is currently pushing common core which I have a HUGE issue with.

...I will try and not turn this in to politics but these issues do effect ones ability to do something like what I am asking. If we were totally free, then we would not all be here working to dissect the exact laws.
Sorry about that!

Yeah, I've been googling around all morning and I think we will be picking Arizona as our home port, they appear to be in line with OK and a few other states in regard to HSing.

It seems most states have a rule 30 consecutive days (or more, I haven't seen less yet) you can stay in their waters before you have to register your boat and therefore follow their laws and so I figured just don't stay in one place too long and problem solved.
unkemptseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 13:02   #12

Quote:
Appreciate all of the responses everyone!

I guess I need to research more about CG documentation and titles. So if I'm understanding correctly, we can register to our home state of Oklahoma but CG documentation requires an actual port? Question I guess is could I have the boat registered to Oklahoma then just choose a hailing port?
Not quite. You could list Enid, OK as your home "port" and the CG doesn't care. If it was me though, once the vessel is Federally Documented, I wouldn't bother with the additional cost or requirements of state registration unless required by law (like in FL). While you're out cruising, which state you call "home" doesn't really matter. And again, check with each state in regards to their handgun/Concealed Carry laws. Some states will recognize a Concealed Carry from another state, others will require you to apply for (and receive) a permit from that state regardless of where you live. NYC is a good example of this. You can have a NYS Concealed Carry Permit, but within NYC, you are required to have a NYC concealed carry or you will be arrested for illegal possession of a firearm.

Old 22-04-2014, 13:41   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I'm concerned you're much to xenophobic for cruising. Yon didn't say where you intend to go, but third world cruisng is a bit different than being out on the range there.
Old 22-04-2014, 14:12   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I'm concerned you're much to xenophobic for cruising. Yon didn't say where you intend to go, but third world cruisng is a bit different than being out on the range there.

Ideally, begin in the Gulf, sail the keys, and work our way up the east coast. We like the idea of the ICW but I really don't want to motor much and I have heard that there are parts of the ICW where you have to step a mast down.

If we went out of the country, it would be after much experience and it would probably begin with panama and etc...
Old 22-04-2014, 14:18   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
Not quite. You could list Enid, OK as your home "port" and the CG doesn't care. If it was me though, once the vessel is Federally Documented, I wouldn't bother with the additional cost or requirements of state registration unless required by law (like in FL). While you're out cruising, which state you call "home" doesn't really matter. And again, check with each state in regards to their handgun/Concealed Carry laws. Some states will recognize a Concealed Carry from another state, others will require you to apply for (and receive) a permit from that state regardless of where you live. NYC is a good example of this. You can have a NYS Concealed Carry Permit, but within NYC, you are required to have a NYC concealed carry or you will be arrested for illegal possession of a firearm.

Oklahoma has reciprocity with most states and I find it generally a good idea to stay the heck away from NYC. (yes I will probably sail there to see Statue of Liberty and leave my carry in storage)

Florida does not allow open carry. It does become a lot to track but I applaud it as state sovereignty is a constitutional thing.

I have read where you have to be careful with certain areas in Florida and etc. though. As I understand, you can sail into a national park where any carry is against the law.

Tags
enc, registration, school