Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2020, 09:51   #16

Re: Research

The wife and I ran as a team in a truck for 3 years. That was a small space. Slept while truck was moving. You could get out though. Appreciate the info on the local sailing. I have looked but did not find that info.
5dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 10:03   #17

Boat: Bristol 27

I sailed Hobie 16's on Arkabutla and Sardis Lake. I kept my boat put together in the Delta Sailing Lot at Arkabutla Lake and just drove down from Memphis whenever I wanted to sail.

I was mid 30's then so no big deal

In that same lot though, was a Catalina 22 (on a trailer mast down) Some of the cruisers on this forum learned on Catalina 22's.

They are very inexpensive also and trailerable.

Might be something to think about if you don't want to join a sailing club directly and you can overnight on them.

After you learn some, you can take it say to Pensacola and sail back and forth across the bay there before going out into the Gulf.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/catalina-22

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/cgi...ate&so=descend
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 07:57   #18

Instead of an ordinary charter why not try a real bluewater charter. You will learn, enjoy and love it or find out you don't like it at all.

https://www.facebook.com/247sailing.net/

No commercial interest.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 21:56   #19

Boat: Douglas 32, duh...32'

5Dave: you said,

"Hi. I’m not sure where to start but... the wife and I are considering selling out and retiring on a sailboat."

First let me offer my condolences....you sounded like such nice sane people.

Your dream sounds a little crazy--so you'll fit in well with the cruising fraternity!

I grew up loving sailing so for me it wasn't a question of "should I" but rather "how soon can I". At 40 I bailed out for 7 years, and on my own boat + crewing on other boats I managed to sail about 20,000 miles. Those were the happiest years of my life.

As someone earlier posted this is a fine place to ask questions and learn as much as you can.

L'Enfant du Vent (Child of the wind...but rhymes in French)
PS: Got an article published about all the other sailors I met in the USVI--the title was All The Crazies End Up Here.
Enfant Du Vent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 08:01   #20

What was the driving thought behind you and your wife considering retiring on a sailboat? Did you see a book, magazine, marina, boat sailing while driving across a bridge? Did you read something about the cost and it looked cheaper than a house? Did you see a youtube and see how much fun it can be? Did you grow up thinking about sailing?

I don't ask it to be rude, but the answer to this question will also help. There's a lot of great reasons to start considering retiring on a sailboat, but then again, there are a lot of not so great reasons.

We're not retired and it's doubtful we'll live on a boat when we retire, but we like sailing. We got started because as a kid I always thought sailing looked like a nice relaxing day on the lake (like in the movie Jaws). When the kids left, I started watching youtubes and took many of the ASA courses. We realize we like it but don't love it. We love the part-time chartering a "big" boat in the BVIs and we like sailing our small 17' footer around.

I got a lot of pointers from this forum and found the reason behind wanting to consider it helps the folks who a lot more than I how they can best advise and help.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 04:46   #21

Joining this discussion a little late but my advice would be just do it, but with a backup plan. Maybe buy smallish and get experience etc and if you are not bitten after a few months then sell it and move on to other options.
MrChris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, research