Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2016, 02:49   #166

Re: Renegade Sailing Adventures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNickMontana View Post
I was looking at this unit because it can both heat and cool.

16000 Btu, 110V, Self Contained Marine Air Conditioner System. Best marine air conditioner for cabin cruisers, sail boats, yachts and house boats

It serves at a heater and AC all in one box. I was looking at it for when docked, although if I need to wind up carrying a Generator id probably just get a pair of Honda 1000i's and link them.

The Diesel heater however would be a great option under way. I am going to have to look at that.
We took a similar route and like it. As long as you have power, no problem. I would suggest reconsidering your pair of 1000w generators as I don't think they will have enough juice. We have a 2400w generator and it's just enough to get a 12k btu unit started. There is some stuff you can do with hard start capacitors but if you don't have the generators yet, get what you need.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:11   #167

Boat: 66' Spencer 42' Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
FWIW, most boat diesels I've seen have a combination sound/heat insulation all around the engine. There won't be the heat in the cabin that you're anticipating. But you know Your body. And, it's your money, you do as you please. We have found that the combination of the open hatch and the fan blowing on us, cools our sweat right off us, and we sleep well. The hottest we've been was in the Solomon Is, at about 6 deg. south of the equator, although one summer in the Sea of Cortez, the water was 85 F., and it was really hot at night, as well in the daytime. We did not get as far up as Bahia de Los Angeles.

Ann
Mine does, it is just all of it is old enough to be my father! lol.

I am going to replace all the insulation on the boat for sure because it has done what most of the foam from he 1960's has done, its all turning to dust!

That being the case that is the first big project I will be tackling on board seeing as how its going to be the most in depth and likely will make the greatest mess.

Other than the bathroom I don't have any big projects planned for the interior other than adding a bunch of LED lights and I am going to replace the counter tops in the Kitchen eventually and modify the cup holders to hold the cups I bought.

Then it is just a matter of getting all the wood cleaned sanded and oiled up. Oh, and want to get a couple more cushions for the dinette made.

Mostly, I just want to go sailing!
Old 10-06-2016, 08:14   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
We took a similar route and like it. As long as you have power, no problem. I would suggest reconsidering your pair of 1000w generators as I don't think they will have enough juice. We have a 2400w generator and it's just enough to get a 12k btu unit started. There is some stuff you can do with hard start capacitors but if you don't have the generators yet, get what you need.
I haven't looked at all the numbers on it yet. The one thing I like about the two 1000i's is that if you just need a bit of power you can only fire on up and use less gas.

On the flip side of that though I am going to have a full solar and wind setup on the boat, so I may just be better off getting the big generator and calling it good.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:31   #169

Quote:
I haven't looked at all the numbers on it yet. The one thing I like about the two 1000i's is that if you just need a bit of power you can only fire on up and use less gas.

On the flip side of that though I am going to have a full solar and wind setup on the boat, so I may just be better off getting the big generator and calling it good.
The modern inverter generators throttle back under light load so the gains aren't a lot. I've never formally tested it (usually we are running heavier loads if we run it) but I would estimate maybe 10hrs per gallon under light loading with our Yamaha 2400. I'm sure the 1000 would beat it under light load but it's going to take a lot of hours to save much. You can go with a single 2400-3000watt model that will handle the load on it's own (check the startup load) or if you want it easier to move them around a pair of 2000watt models is popular. Realistically, wind & solar have almost no impact on running air/con. If you try to supplement the generator by drawing off the batteries, the inverters that can sync with the generator are so expensive, you are better off just getting the bigger generator. In theory, a 2000watt unit hooked to a large battery charger (maybe 120amps at 12v) and the air/con plugged into a large inverter (3000-4000watt inverter) would work to cover the startup load but I suspect if you run the numbers, it's going to be more expensive.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:06   #170
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We have a pair of marine air conditioners (110v) that we often use at the dock and sometimes for a couple of hours at anchor with our 7KW diesel generator, but for anchoring overnight we always just open the hatches for a light breeze. On the US West Coast with drier air this would likely be very comfortable.

There are important strategies in selecting an anchor location where currents will not interfere with your ability to face into the wind or adjustments of the rode, wind vane (maybe mizzen) or wind scoops.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:09   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
The modern inverter generators throttle back under light load so the gains aren't a lot. I've never formally tested it (usually we are running heavier loads if we run it) but I would estimate maybe 10hrs per gallon under light loading with our Yamaha 2400. I'm sure the 1000 would beat it under light load but it's going to take a lot of hours to save much. You can go with a single 2400-3000watt model that will handle the load on it's own (check the startup load) or if you want it easier to move them around a pair of 2000watt models is popular. Realistically, wind & solar have almost no impact on running air/con. If you try to supplement the generator by drawing off the batteries, the inverters that can sync with the generator are so expensive, you are better off just getting the bigger generator. In theory, a 2000watt unit hooked to a large battery charger (maybe 120amps at 12v) and the air/con plugged into a large inverter (3000-4000watt inverter) would work to cover the startup load but I suspect if you run the numbers, it's going to be more expensive.
Oh I had no illusions that id never run the AC on the panels and wind, I just meant having those would negate the need for running the generator with a smaller load.

Another thing I need to consider is space, I have a big storage locker on the fantail, but I suspect it is going to get really small really fast.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:12   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
We have a pair of marine air conditioners (110v) that we often use at the dock and sometimes for a couple of hours at anchor with our 7KW diesel generator, but for anchoring overnight we always just open the hatches for a light breeze. On the US West Coast with drier air this would likely be very comfortable.

There are important strategies in selecting an anchor location where currents will not interfere with your ability to face into the wind or adjustments of the rode, wind vane (maybe mizzen) or wind scoops.
Something else I should probably consider is that a sailboat is probably going to ventilate better than the big power boats than I am used to.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:17   #173
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Oh I had no illusions that id never run the AC on the panels and wind, I just meant having those would negate the need for running the generator with a smaller load.

Another thing I need to consider is space, I have a big storage locker on the fantail, but I suspect it is going to get really small really fast.
Yep the lazzerette will get real full real fast what with the fenders mooring lines shore power cord and the like then you want to add a couple small generators and the associated fuel for them yep it will fill real fast. BTW it is vented directly overboard due to the propane locker in that same locker. So fuel storage isn't an issue.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:21   #174
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Something else I should probably consider is that a sailboat is probably going to ventilate better than the big power boats than I am used to.
Yep lots better open the bow hatch and companionway at anchor and you got a wind tunnel. Also over half of the living space is below the waterline ( a really big heat sink in summer and source of cold mitigation in winter.)
Old 10-06-2016, 14:40   #175

Aaaand I am stuck on the east coast for the weekend, no load.

Not really liking the idea of sitting in Atlanta all weekend.
Old 10-06-2016, 15:07   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Don't forger to pay homage to Neptune with a proper renaming ceremony
As a trusty shellback of the kings high court I would be happy to instruct and assist in this most auspicious endeavor .
Very nice offer in a task not to be taken lightly!
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 22:13   #177

I know the first project I am probably going to tackle this fall is re-insulating the boat.

Been looking at ways to do it, MADS over at Sail Life did a really awesome video on his.

It would also give it a pretty neat feel, much like in the semi sleeper right now.

Also this morning I pushed the
clutch in my truck to the floor and it crapped out, so limping the truck back home to get a new clutch stuffed in. Kind of bummed about it because that is going to be probably 5 grand by the time it is said and done because while we are in there going to fix an oil leak too.

So that is slowing my progress down on getting the boat paid for a bit.
Old 15-06-2016, 22:22   #178
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
Very nice offer in a task not to be taken lightly!
Yep a very important solem duty that I am all to happy to preform for a fellow navy vet. ( even if he is just a slimmey little pollywog)
Old 15-06-2016, 22:57   #179

Quote:
Yep a very important solem duty that I am all to happy to preform for a fellow navy vet. ( even if he is just a slimmey little pollywog)
Hey now, I'm a legend in my own mind!
Old 16-06-2016, 09:02   #180

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
If there isn't a thread for it yet, there should be: "How to properly rename your boat."
Well then again there is this one:http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...el-166343.html
Be sure to document the play-by-play for us all!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing, sail