Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2021, 08:53   #1

Remodeling interior

Hello,
I have a perhaps a strange question. My husband and I are looking at motor boats (searay 480) for liveaboard and the interiors are all old, tired and don’t fit our needs. We’re wondering if it’s possible to gut them completely and redesign it similar to a modern tiny home or a repurposed van/bus. The idea is of course a little out of the box, probably costly, but we want the boat to feel like a home for us and our dog and still be functional. We have no need for three different sleeping areas and would want to remove them for more living space. Maybe I’m crazy, but looking at people renovating school buses to live in that look way nicer than the interior of the boats we’re looking at.
Navikats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2021, 09:00   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Remodeling interior

Anything is possible. It will simply cost three times what you think it should. Here's a sample:
https://www.pbo.co.uk/video/duracell...-cruiser-69510
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2021, 09:01   #3

Boat: Voyage 430

Why wouldn't you just find a boat that has an interior that you enjoy?
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2021, 09:09   #4
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

Different types of construction lend themselves to gutting and remodeling differently. Some boats have a fiberglass shell within a shell within a shell, sometimes called grids or liners. These shells are structural and should not be removed willy nilly without regard to redesigning the structure.

Some boats have constructed interiors usually made of plywood that are more readily gutted, although you still need to note some bulkheads are required for support.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2021, 09:14   #5

Even newer boats outside of our budget are still awful to us. All that shiny wood is just not our taste. We seen one couple remodeling a sailboat in a similar fashion.
Navikats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2021, 09:48   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navikats View Post
Hello,
I have a perhaps a strange question. My husband and I are looking at motor boats (searay 480) for liveaboard and the interiors are all old, tired and don’t fit our needs. We’re wondering if it’s possible to gut them completely and redesign it similar to a modern tiny home or a repurposed van/bus. The idea is of course a little out of the box, probably costly, but we want the boat to feel like a home for us and our dog and still be functional. We have no need for three different sleeping areas and would want to remove them for more living space. Maybe I’m crazy, but looking at people renovating school buses to live in that look way nicer than the interior of the boats we’re looking at.

Check out the youtube channel "Sailife"
The gent gutted and rebuilt his boat
Nuts if you ask me
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2021, 13:08   #7

Boat: Lagoon 400

Ofcourse you can, (skill / time / ideas / money) dependant!
The SeaRay480 was positively reviewed back in its day, for its layout, liveability and overall space, so I can understand your attraction as a moderized liveaboard. A boat that structurally can accept the interior modifications is a prerequisite, so check your target boat in areas that you may want to change more than just the finish surfaces. Live on it a bit before the transformation, any boat owner will tell you the original list of "that needs to change" is usually different once being used.

For a great example of a 50 year old boat interior transformation, view : "Sailing Uma" Episode 225

https://youtu.be/8qtMHgXM-7I
OldGreyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2022, 06:19   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navikats View Post
Hello,

I'm not quite sure if your still watching this thread , but i'm going to post anyway .
I'm currently in exactly the same position , except i have already lived aboard a boat , for five years back in the 90's . I was younger then , but that boat also proved to be unsuitable for the purpose . I'm now looking to replace it , with a slightly larger vessel of around 30' . I'm sure your not really interested in my reason for this size , but i will add , the boat i intend replacing it with , has exactly the same problem .
This replacement is an old 70's design . Very solidly built , and to my eyes , a pretty little thing with a clipper bow , and yawl rig . it's very capable offshore , but the cabin however , also leaves very much to be desired . My plan is also to gut , and start again . But the difference here is it's a sailboat . Being an old design , it's over built , and heavy like my last boat , so will stand up to it's canvas , but it is 50 years old . There are several on the market over here , the majority of which , are in pretty poor condition . So my plan is a lengthy refit , including a complete rework of the cabin interior .
Care and forethought has to be given to what your planning , make sure what you intend to fit , will fit . And be very careful of weakening the structure , by removing bulkheads or stiffeners . Another thing to watch for , especially with plastic , is deforming the hull . Particular care should be given to this one . A good example of what i'm saying is , in my intention to move a bulkhead aft by about 2' , and replacing it with a divider bulkhead right under the mast step , to avoid mast compression . I also intend to fit the new bulkhead before i remove the old one , i'm sure you can understand what i'm saying by that . Otherwise as has already being said , anything is possible , i would only add , with care .
Clippsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior, model