Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2014, 10:42   #1

Reducing Healthcare costs for cruisers

Living on a boat can present some unique challenges.
I know a lot of cruisers are retired and probably insured, but if you're not, finding quality, affordable healthcare can be difficult. I have a couple of medical issues that require routine monitoring by blood tests. Frequently finding myself in new locations, can make this difficult and expensive. Starting over with a different doctor in a new town, just to prescribe the tests that I already know I need, costs me the doctor visit, plus several hours between the doctor's office and the lab. Time consuming and expensive. I found that there is a website where I can order any lab tests I need for a fraction of what the doctor charges. I can go directly to any of their locations with no prescription, and no appointment. They have doctors on staff who will review and I can even book a telephone consult if needed. Great news for me, may help anyone in the same situation as well. check out:easylabwork.com. Has anyone ever used online doctors? How does it work?
dreadpir8rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 11:11   #2
cruiser

Re: Reducing Healthcare costs for cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadpir8rob View Post
Living on a boat can present some unique challenges.
I know a lot of cruisers are retired and probably insured, but if you're not, finding quality, affordable healthcare can be difficult. I have a couple of medical issues that require routine monitoring by blood tests. Frequently finding myself in new locations, can make this difficult and expensive. Starting over with a different doctor in a new town, just to prescribe the tests that I already know I need, costs me the doctor visit, plus several hours between the doctor's office and the lab. Time consuming and expensive. I found that there is a website where I can order any lab tests I need for a fraction of what the doctor charges. I can go directly to any of their locations with no prescription, and no appointment. They have doctors on staff who will review and I can even book a telephone consult if needed. Great news for me, may help anyone in the same situation as well. check out:easylabwork.com. Has anyone ever used online doctors? How does it work?
welcome to CF forum. my friends friend just died of cancer after 8 weeks from initial test. your concerns are valid and often ignored by cruisers.soon i will be getting a brainscan for myself so i understand. if dementia/alsheimers is discovered i might as well commit suicide as there is no cure. fairwinds and godspeed.
su2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 11:31   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

If you know what labs you need, have you even just called a local lab and asked them if you can get them done directly? It would seem that the only thing being added by using a thrid party like easylabwork.com is an extra cost markup.
Old 22-07-2014, 13:19   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I got this gut feeling that your not cutting the Dr. out of the loop. I can't even get the Morons at our local Airgas to refill my Aviators O2 bottle because they insist that in Georgia Oxygen can only be given if prescribed, they insist I need a prescription to have Oxygen to fly with.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, health