Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2014, 08:42   #1

Boat: 45
Ready to Jump in with BothFeet

I'm 49 and have sailed for 37 years, owned a couple small boats (up to Catalina 22), worked in the charter industry and sailed/worked on/maintained A LOT then (80's: 19 Cape Dory, Morgan 50, Cheoy Lee ketch, etc), and have chartered up to 48 Leopard cat and am comfortable single handing in strong breeze/gale. I've begun selling off businesses and extraneous assets with the intent to buy a larger blue water cat. I've read most of the books/guides/bibles and "kinda" know what I want. Well, at least I know that I want to do a long term charter so I can further develop my list of "must have's" (ie: water maker, washer dryer, etc). Also, the long term charter is to allow my wife to test drive the lifestyle. She's worried about where she will get her spa treatments! I will be buying USED.

Manufactures I like (not a complete list):
Fountaine Pajot
Gunboat
Lagoon
Outremer
Robertson and Caine

Length: 45-60ft

Does anyone have suggestions on locating long term charters for these vessels? I am familiar with a couple websites that purport to offer them (ie: longtermcharters.com). Preferably I'd like to work directly with an owner. How about an owner who is looking to sale? Anybody???

Thanks,
Scott
BothFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 08:47   #2

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
Re: Ready to jump in with BothFeet

Welcome aboard Bothfeet. Can you provide some information about where geographically you are looking for a charter? US? Europe?

Scook
Old 28-05-2014, 09:11   #3

Boat: 45
Re: Ready to jump in with BothFeet

I'm flexible. I know BVI and some other Caribbean waters, and am located east coast US. I'm happy to charter wherever. I'd have to study the legalities of purchasing a foreign flagged vessel, etc, but regarding the charter I'm game. That's what lawyers are for...
BothFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:13   #4

Boat: Still Searching
Re: Ready to Jump in with BothFeet

I'm very interested in this topic as well. My problem is that the boats I'm interested in are more difficult to find in general, so arranging a long term charter will be tough. Anyway, from what I can see, the advertised long-term bareboats will cost about 1/3-ish what you would normally pay for a weekly charter, but still about 2X-ish what you'd be out to own the boat in the end including depreciation/maintenance.

Seems to me like a decent way to test the lifestyle for a couple months. Essentially you're talking about a lease option, which are incredibly common for terrestrial homes, but not sure about boats. Interested in following what you do.
Certeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 13:46   #5

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Ready to Jump in with BothFeet

Welcome to the forum.