Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2008, 22:31   #1

Boat: Mason 33 and a Nordic Folkboat (wooden)
Rate Increase......sigh

Just got the notice from the marina. Next month, base rate increases $1.25/foot (13% increase) and liveaboard up to $300/mo. from $200/mo. (33%). Net increase in monthly base costs ---- 28%.

Harbormaster: "First rate increase in three years!"
Me: "my salary hasn't increased 28% in three years......"

I know they have costs, etc., and like the rest of us, are seeing all their costs go through the roof. At the same time, while a pleasant place, this is a place that has 400-plus slips and one shower/two toilets to serve that load........rate increases are only to costs, not to improvements, they say.

Working the math --- considering moving to another marina across the Bay that is nicer and that just called and offered a liveaboard, but........sure wish we could stay where we were! (My commute to work is better here).

Silver lining --- maybe this will get us to leave for cruising this year rather than next ---- the way the work and economy is going, heading out sooner rather than later is looking smarter all the time.

Terri
Old 08-07-2008, 17:07   #2

Boat: Grand Banks 42 Classic - Heads Up
Send a message via Yahoo to CaptHead
The marina I am in decided to start charging for electricity. I am in the LA Harbor and there are about 12 marinas in all here. This is the only one charging for elect. That was about 4 years ago and since then, while full, a few marinas opened up with new slips and now we are about 80% full.

They don't get it. The docks need replacing and especially the fingers and floats. Instead we'll probably get a rate increase.

They charge me 175 for liveaboard. With the elect it is cheaper than your 300. WOW!
1966 Grand Banks 42 Hull #17
Twin Ford Lehman Diesels
Sterling LP over Epoxy
Life is Great, Skip the Beach
CaptHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 18:55   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Silver lining --- maybe this will get us to leave for cruising this year rather than next ---- the way the work and economy is going, heading out sooner rather than later is looking smarter all the time.
When you get the message it's time to listen. If you plan for the right time you might make it. If you wait for it you don't have as good a chance.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote