Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2017, 11:23   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Quitting the Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Congrats on the big move A64. Sounds like you’re being very clear and generous with your employer. I bet you won’t be looking back.

We said goodbye to house and jobs going on two years ago. But we’re still struggling with what to do with our three vehicles; one small car and two small motorcycles. The car remains useful as we hop our way out the Great Lakes and (hopefully) to Newfoundland this season. I tried to sell the bikes privately rather half-heartedly, but quite frankly they’re worth more to us than we can sell them for.
Quite a few things I'm keeping in storage, an old airplane, guns, reloading gear, skads of Scuba gear, all kinds of tools, even every power yard tool known to man. A lot of things are just not replaceable, I have a Browning grade 6 four barrel skeet set, and they have not been made in a long time for example. Lots of prints and the good furniture will go into airconditioned storage, or I think it will anyway. Got to check prices first.
We will keep two cars, one given to the daughter, the Prius and the other the Mazdaspeed Miata will eventually go into the hangar with the antique airplane, cause one day we will swallow the anchor, but we will drive it until we leave, we are not leaving straight away, we will do this in stages.
Maybe if we really like it and we know we will continue until no longer able, then maybe we will come back and get rid of it all, but what if we get bored stiff and just can't tolerate real cruising?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 11:27   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I gave 4 months notice. We seemed to not get our act together to sell the house, belongings and car. But in the end it all worked out and we sold the car the same day as we got the check for the house,................ and left the next day!
I just don't want to cut it that close if I can help it. As it is I won't get the boat safe and out of the hurricane zone until maybe August. But then we live in the Hurricane zone, so maybe we will be OK.
Weather this years has been real unusual, we just got a lot of storms two weeks ago, and tornadoes last night, several killed and lots of houses torn up.
In January? So who knows on Hurricanes, I thought last year was to be it, but we missed it pretty much
Old 23-01-2017, 12:05   #78

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Quite a few things I'm keeping in storage, an old airplane, guns, reloading gear, skads of Scuba gear, all kinds of tools, even every power yard tool known to man. A lot of things are just not replaceable, ...
Maybe if we really like it and we know we will continue until no longer able, then maybe we will come back and get rid of it all, but what if we get bored stiff and just can't tolerate real cruising?
Sounds like a wise plan; take it one step at a time, and go at the pace that makes sense to you and your partner.

We did a similar thing, although on a much smaller scale than you. We bought a 14’ storage trailer which we keep (for free) on a friend’s acreage. It holds some few important family items, some useful things, and enough basic household crap so that we could set up house again if the boat sinks. Quite frankly I would have got rid of it all, but this small safety net was necessary for my spouse. I think she’s already forgotten exactly what’s in the trailer, but it helped in the letting-go process.
Old 23-01-2017, 12:20   #79

Good plan as there is an attrition rate for sure. Many people are caught up in the dream but the reality sometimes doesn't measure up. It's certainly not the lifestyle for everyone. We have met lots of people that gave it all up before 24 months so a fall back position is very reasonable.
I think knowing what I know about you, assuming your wife enjoys it, your probably going to make it because your skilled at fixing things and that's a big part of this whole scene. And it's my impression that you enjoy looking after things...lots of folks out here that don't have those skills and cutting large cheques every month gets old pretty quick.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 12:21   #80

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Sounds like a wise plan; take it one step at a time, and go at the pace that makes sense to you and your partner.

We did a similar thing, although on a much smaller scale than you. We bought a 14’ storage trailer which we keep (for free) on a friend’s acreage. It holds some few important family items, some useful things, and enough basic household crap so that we could set up house again if the boat sinks. Quite frankly I would have got rid of it all, but this small safety net was necessary for my spouse. I think she’s already forgotten exactly what’s in the trailer, but it helped in the letting-go process.
Mike, both things were true for me. Some stuff I forgot was in the storage locker, but the stuff that was close to my heart, I remembered anyway. And it did help emotionally to keep back a few items from the dispersal. That day of clearing out the house where I'd raised the kids, etc, was an emotion filled time; we had friends helping, too.

We kept Jim's car on a friend's acreage for maybe 2 years, maybe 3, but found that just sitting for months at a time didn't do it any good, plus it was hard to get it re-insured for just a few weeks.

Ann
Old 24-01-2017, 02:25   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
I just don't want to cut it that close if I can help it. As it is I won't get the boat safe and out of the hurricane zone until maybe August. But then we live in the Hurricane zone, so maybe we will be OK.
Weather this years has been real unusual, we just got a lot of storms two weeks ago, and tornadoes last night, several killed and lots of houses torn up.
In January? So who knows on Hurricanes, I thought last year was to be it, but we missed it pretty much
We find it much easier to locate ourselves in protected hurricane holes in advance of problems when we are not committed to work.

Not working is working for me!
Old 24-01-2017, 18:43   #82

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
An update, I gave notice. I told him I would work at least until May, he thinks I will stay longer, but I told him I would stay at least until May.
What triggered it was him talking longer range plans with me. I said Boss I told you that I would be Retirind soon, remember?
That is four months notice

The corporate world is what it is. Send an email with ur intent. A conversation doesn't have the same weight.
Old 25-01-2017, 09:49   #83

Boat: Catalina 380

A64,
Congrats on the upcoming retirement! Since you told them you were going to retire, a few not-so-subtle reminders may help the process. A 2 weeks notice would formalize it.

I'll punching out May 19, then heading south with the boat to the JAX area.

I'm leaving the "purple" delivery guys. I gave my manager 8 months notice, after buying the boat. The formal paperwork will be completed in April.

Mike
Summitfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 08:00   #84

Boat: Maxum 4100 SCA, 41 feet

I am anywhere from 2-5 years from retirement and will be between 50-55. My biggest concern at this point is health insurance. I am sure there will be changes in 2018, but what kind of rates are people seeing for single policies? Currently, I am under a "Cadillac" plan my employer pays 90% of.
Gregorys6601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 08:15   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Myself, I'm Retired military, so at least I have care, quality of it varies on who has been in office. Surprisingly under the just have left administration it was left alone, I say surprisingly because under Clinton, he gutted it.
Do't let this go political, just meant to illustrate things change, it does not remain static.

But I think you ask the $64,000 question, but I'm afraid its like asking how much does a boat cost?
I assume you can get inexpensive insurance, but it doesn't cover anything expensive. Like Dental insurance is the worst for that I have seen, most plans will pay to have your teeth pulled, but forget restorative Dentistry.
As an example I used to have Tri-care Standard, I had a higher co-pay but could chose my own Dr. I later found out that was true for check-ups and other inexpensive things, but get Cancer or anything expensive, and your back in the System, no more pick your own Dr.

What I really cannot understand is that people want Medical insurance to cover regular scheduled events like yearly physicals. To me that is like expecting your car insurance to pay for oil changes.
I buy insurance to cover me for catastrophic huge events, I can handle the nickel and dime stuff, and I have to think if it didn't pay for scheduled appts, it would be a whole lot less expensive?

In summation I think its a question that really cannot be answered, good insurance will cost a whole lot, inexpensive insurance won't, but you don't get much either.
Best to call around different insurance providers and ask, and who know what will happen?
Old 26-01-2017, 08:23   #86

Boat: Maxum 4100 SCA, 41 feet

I agree, it is a really open ended question with no real good answer! Especially wanting to have some kind of coverage in other parts of the world. Maybe, the better question is what companies have been easiest to work with when something does happen outside of the U.S.?

I only know local HMO's and how they work as that it what I have had for the last 30 years.

Scott
Gregorys6601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 08:40   #87

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
What I really cannot understand is that people want Medical insurance to cover regular scheduled events like yearly physicals. To me that is like expecting your car insurance to pay for oil changes.
I buy insurance to cover me for catastrophic huge events, I can handle the nickel and dime stuff, and I have to think if it didn't pay for scheduled appts, it would be a whole lot less expensive?
What they're calling insurance isn't insurance (what you described) it's a healthcare plan. It has to cover certain items (even if it's physically impossible for you to have that condition) and this is part of the problem with costs.
Old 26-01-2017, 10:04   #88

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
I tried the peddle out of curiosity, Bluebook is 8,500, they wanted to list at 5,100.
I think their niche is damaged, non drivable vehicles.
I guess I'll go Craigs list, for the most part it has been good to me so far
I retired in June, I had my car registered in Alberta, and I had an address in B.C. So I couldn't sell it in California where I was, and getting it reregistered in B.C. was to much hassle. Solution; drive to Alberta, find a city big enough to have a lot of prospective customers, and Craigslist it for a few thousand less than the average price. I had two calls per hour, had it sold the next morning for asking price which was $2000 more than I was hoping to get. I'm happy, the people buying it were happy.

Welcome to retirement. I gave 4 months notice too, then my town burnt down in a wildfire, so I had a month off with pay to tidy up a lot of loose ends with friends and family. Living on the boat ever since.

I'd rather be lucky than smart.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 11:17   #89

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
I tried the peddle out of curiosity, Bluebook is 8,500, they wanted to list at 5,100.
I think their niche is damaged, non drivable vehicles.
I guess I'll go Craigs list, for the most part it has been good to me so far
I think that is their primary niche also - but I believe you can post any price you like. It gets a lot of play in that many car places look at the site. If you are willing to go a little less (like say 7,500) you may get some interest and get it done sooner. If you can handle either going to public places for folks to look at your vehicle (or if you are comfortable with them coming to the house), then craigslist works fine.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote