Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2017, 04:27   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Quitting the Job

J-A64

There is no simple answer to the general question, only an answer to your particular one.

The reality is that we work in the main for the income. If this was not the case then all those lottery winners would continue on at their jobs, only they dont. Work is simply what most of us do to pay the bills.

Unless you want to take over the company, then you are leaving to be free to pursue the lifestyle that your family want without the 'obligations' placed on you by necessity. From your perspective, the company is dead in the water anyhows, and if you dont leave now, you may have to leave in the future due to it closing down.

Externally viewed, you are making the right decision regardless of cruising being the draw. Its a good business decision and personal one. You have the collateral to ensure the transition is ok.

I have rarely been employed, and one of the jobs I did, they broke the contract for a number of us just prior to the yearly bonus... saved a few thousand that way and ticked me off no end. It seems loyalty is a one way street for (most) employers.

You have made your decision and it seems you have made steps to live with your conscience over a fair departure. I would say that is the best you can do. Follow the advice of your HR person. In any event, you are out of there.

My genuine best wishes for your future as a family and whatever you choose to do, enjoy it.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:42   #32

Boat: Brewer 44

I gave one years notice back in June 2016. I'm in a senior position and have worked for this company for 20 years. They have treated me very good and will continue to treat me good after I am gone. Not all companies put profit in front of employees and I have been fortunate to work for one.

You really have to assess your own situation and do what you think is best. In my many years in the corporate world I never burned any bridges.
bfiegener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:42   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

I gave 90 days' notice; that said I worked for the government, there was little chance of being given "the walk" upon notice.

Retirement? Pffft! I made it about three months retired (just about the same time as it took to march through the "honey-do" list around the properties and boat)..... then I got bored! For some masochistic reason I decided to open my own business. Now its 70 hour weeks and zero social life, the boat sits at the dock for weeks at a time, maintenance chores put off. The checkbook looks great, but so far retirement sucks!
Old 03-01-2017, 04:50   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
I gave 90 days' notice; that said I worked for the government, there was little chance of being given "the walk" upon notice.

Retirement? Pffft! I made it about three months retired (just about the same time as it took to march through the "honey-do" list around the properties and boat)..... then I got bored! For some masochistic reason I decided to open my own business. Now its 70 hour weeks and zero social life, the boat sits at the dock for weeks at a time, maintenance chores put off. The checkbook looks great, but so far retirement sucks!
lol

We could be brothers from a different mother...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:27   #35

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Hi, A64pilot,

All of us who have retired "early" have had to face up to the issues in our own ways. In retrorespect, I think they don't really believe anyone would go cruising as a lifestyle. They expect you to "get it out of your system" in a year or so. "They" may even be "right" for some.

Sea Dreaming wrote , and I don't think that fits you so well, because of your sense of honor. If you have set your personal drop dead date at the end of May, I think two months notice at the end of March more than adequate. That covers you for 15 Feb. They may drop you like a hot potato, that happened to me once, with 2 weeks notice, so it is one possibility, but I think your team will appreciate being dealt with honestly, even if the big boss has a history of poor decisions. Two months should be plenty to transition the guy you hired as backup for you to taking over your worries, if that is what everybody decides. Then you can feel the lovely freedom that SD is high on, in good conscience.

Ann
I hope you don't think I am "dishonorable" Ann! Jim and I both gave notice. 2 weeks for me (suitable for my position), Jim transitioned out over a longer period with 3 weeks final notice. I even worked a few extra days beyond my quit date to ensure there was coverage for others holidays.

The point I was trying to make is that our feelings of obligation are not about "the company", but about the obligations we feel to the people we work with. What mess will our leaving make for others? If you are satisfied with how your actions will affect your coworkers there is no point in staying longer. At some point one just has to let go because there is nothing more you can do to improve the lives of others. "The company" is not relevant here.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:44   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Try to get through as much as I can.
401 K is funded each pay day, as far as I know they cannot take the money out after it has been deposited. It is handled by TD Ameritrade I think. That was a concern of mine as I have a few years worth of pay in it.
Parks, the bill will eventually come down except for regular maintenance as you know, my portion of the re-fit is about done, the rest will be done by Mack Sails next Summer in Hurricane season no less. the refit has been funded, money is set aside for that. By the way check email, I sent you something else I want / need, a tank monitor for the new waste tank .
I don't think they will toss me, I'm not worried about that, if they do I'll be like Brer Rabbit ,"Oh no, not the brier patch, please not the brier patch"
I have never drawn unemployment, be neat to do so once I guess.

Boatie, When we do swallow the anchor and go to ground, unlikely it will be in the US, although being Retired Military my medical is free here, I doubt overseas though.
I have traveled extensively in my life, and the last several years all over Central and South America. Columbia is interesting, the Medellin area is beautiful, but who knows.

I'll wait until end of March to talk to HR, a lot of the hourly guys know though, I have a lot of friends with them.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:20   #37

Boat: 1975 Gulfstar M53

Hey Pilot...our two paths couldn't be more similar - right down to the military career and current circumstances of employment.

You and I have exchanged before when I was engineering the spinnaker lift rig for the heavy RIB (which we have solved and are very happy with now).

We are currently on the Chesapeake and heading south this fall for the Caribbean. If you are planning to cruise the Caribbean - give us a shout...we'll have to raft up and get to know each other as cruisers.

We think we will be meandering down the ICW from the Chesapeake at then end of Hurricane season this year and heading off to the Islands.

I'll send you a PM with contact particulars. Looking forward to potentially meeting you.

Cheers!

TMT2
TMT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:59   #38

Boat: 1985 S2 9.2C

a64pilot

My situation is similar and opposite. I will officially hear by Friday when my last day will be. Parent company sold off half of our company and the Memphis office is closing; all 120 positions eliminated. My 7 year plan might become a one year plan. I might switch careers; would like to stay here a few more years for kids.....

You've already received lots of good advice. I've never burned a bridge and have given 2-10 weeks notice.

Good Luck in your endeavor.
daw_two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:25   #39

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

a64 you have a good decision to make....Retirement.....lotta good advice by experience. I too have been in your position as to retiring.
With your past of making good decisions you will once again "do what is right" in your heart by leaving on good terms with no regrets other than missing all those good people you have been associated with.
Come on down to Florida, no State Income Tax. Jax ain't a bad town....
Good luck to you n yours..

Good luck to you.

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:39   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

For the twenty years I was in the Military I was a Fl resident, although never stationed there.
I had a Wakulla Co. address, now after retirement I will be a Fl resident again, although this time St Brendan's Isle.

TMT2, it will be a year before we are out there, I quit end of May and take the boat around to Mack Sails to get the chain plates and rigging replaced, then onto Brunswick Ga to get the kid started in College there and to sit out next years Hurricane season, then we are off.
We will hang around for awhile to make sure she is OK, she is already stressed about us waiting around like Vultures for her to graduate High School.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:50   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I worked in both blue collar positions and management in mostly union yards/ships for others and myself. Regardless, I identify with the crew.
I always felt notice should go both ways. If companies warn employees of pending layoffs, then they deserve notice. Companies that give no notice, deserve no notice.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 13:49   #42

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
For the twenty years I was in the Military I was a Fl resident, although never stationed there.
I had a Wakulla Co. address, now after retirement I will be a Fl resident again, although this time St Brendan's Isle.

TMT2, it will be a year before we are out there, I quit end of May and take the boat around to Mack Sails to get the chain plates and rigging replaced, then onto Brunswick Ga to get the kid started in College there and to sit out next years Hurricane season, then we are off.
We will hang around for awhile to make sure she is OK, she is already stressed about us waiting around like Vultures for her to graduate High School.

Good move with St. Brendan's....

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:09   #43

Quote:
401 K is funded each pay day, as far as I know they cannot take the money out after it has been deposited.
If they tried they would be committing a serious federal crime!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:11   #44

Boat: 1975 Gulfstar M53

Quote:

AH64Pilot, About the same for us - although we quit the job and go into full-time cruising mode in April of this year...we'll explore the Chesapeake for the summer punctuated by a vacation trip to Italy for 30 days and a haul out to put on the new Caribbean bottom job and replace the thru-hulls. Looking forward to seeing you "out there!"
TMT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:31   #45

I clearly understand the sentiment that if the company tends to give no notice to employees being laid off then why should they get a notice, but let's look at this from a practical standpoint. You want to do what is right for YOU in this situation. You have already been given good advice on the 401k (by the way, they can take money out of your account if you are not vested for the company match), bonus, healthcare, etc.

It usually is not good business to burn bridges. You may not think you need your company after you retire, but you may. There is no real disadvantage to giving them appropriate notice and it will help end things well (assuming they area well right now).

So what is an appropriate notice? Clearly, anything less than 2-weeks will be viewed as sour grapes on your part and leaves both the management and your employees in a bind. From what you have described, you are an officer in the company. Given this information, I would suggest a minimum of one month and a maximum of one quarter.

Best of luck to you in your retirement. Let us know how it all goes!
Seaadventurers is offline   Reply With Quote