Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2017, 07:38   #1

Questions for Marina BEFORE...

Yes I have used the search and google custom search and have been unable to find an answer and maybe it is because there isn't one. However, I am going to still ask.
Before you sign anything with a marina to liveaboard, were there any questions you wished you would have asked? Such as, is there storage lockers available, etc. I am looking for those things that may not be spelled out for you when you are looking for that right marina for you.

As always, thank you!!
TomAndLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 07:57   #2

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78
Re: Questions for Marina BEFORE...

Where do you get mail. Will you accept packages. Where do i dump old oil, contaminated bilge water, antifreeze? What limits are there for working on the boat?
Is there public transportation? Do you have haul out services and how much are they? Who has access to the docks and how do i report "look-e-loo's"? Do you have security patrols and how often? Where's the nearest West Marine
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 08:02   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
Where do you get mail. Will you accept packages. Where do i dump old oil, contaminated bilge water, antifreeze? What limits are there for working on the boat?
Is there public transportation? Do you have haul out services and how much are they? Who has access to the docks and how do i report "look-e-loo's"? Do you have security patrols and how often? Where's the nearest West Marine
Yes, the nearest West Marine is most important!
Old 22-07-2017, 08:03   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

+ Ask to see the restroom and shower facilities! Security and crime stats/cameras?
Old 22-07-2017, 08:28   #5

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

In Lake Ontario, we ask about pumpout facilities, and costs.
Also if you are unable to move, do they have a pumpout barge that can come to you?
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 08:30   #6

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

Everything was spelled out in the rental agreement.
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 08:47   #7

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelratinter View Post
Everything was spelled out in the rental agreement.
You still need to do a "Walk through" to see the actual facilities.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 08:48   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Quality and distance to toilets and showers.

Noise levels from nearby roads and bars.

Pets / kids allowed and if so if kept at separate docks.

Availability of at least one proper supermarket within easy walking or a short ride distance.

Etc.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 08:57   #9

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

When does "quiet time" start? If you are a party-er you'll care. And if you need to sleep to go to work the next day, you'll care.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 09:05   #10

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
In Lake Ontario, we ask about pumpout facilities, and costs.
In my area (Kingston, Lake Ontario), there are few marinas and the costs have gone up, up, and up. Most places offer little or no services, and bad service when you can get it. And any marine mechanic without a 3 month wait time is just going to take your money and do a lousy job. After 30 years and 8 boats I have yet to see anything encouraging around here. Our biggest marina, Portsmouth Olympic Harbour, is being redone with a focus on condos, and very little concern for boats or boating. Visit Confed at your own risk, collisions occur daily. My one winter at KYC left me with more than a thousand bucks in unecessary damage (to my prop shaft by the crane). And when I wintered at the inner harbour (Kingston Marina) my boat was broken into and looted. Its no wonder that sailing and boating are disappearing from this town. Yes, the sailing here is great...we've got the wind and the islands. But for marine services...look elsewhere.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 09:28   #11

These are all great! Some are on my list but definitely some I didn't think of! You guys rock!

Hamburking that completely stinks...sorry it isn't better in your area!

We know the marina we are thinking about and plan on talking more to the people who live there as well.

Thanks again!
Old 22-07-2017, 09:30   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
In my area (Kingston, Lake Ontario),
[horror-story deleted]
ouch.

First, I'm kind of glad we prefer yacht clubs to marinas. To me, a marina is little more than a parking lot, though i know that friendships and mutual respect can still develop there. In the clubs I just find that the people pull together more, support and respect each other more, and the incidence of collisions/allisions, disruptive neighbours, theft and other risks is lower.

Re marine service... I've sort of dabbled in it in the Toronto area, including one season apprenticing with a marine diesel guy, and one working with a busy marine electrician. I have one ABYC certification. I haven't gone into marine full-time because I can make better money doing something else, compared to the lower money, effort and hassles of being a full-time marine service provider.

...Overall, the boating market seems too small to keep a lot of competent people competing for your business. As a consequence, the few truly good people are overloaded, and there are a bunch of punters, some well-intentioned, some not, trying to pick off the extra work.

The real service money is in powerboats - the bigger the better . Us sailors are parsimonious and often fussy to deal with, by comparison.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 09:37   #13

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Ask about insurance. If you come back to your boat and find damage, vandalism, theft or worse...who pays? My guess...you!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 09:52   #14

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomAndLee View Post
Yes I have used the search and google custom search and have been unable to find an answer and maybe it is because there isn't one. However, I am going to still ask.
Before you sign anything with a marina to liveaboard, were there any questions you wished you would have asked? Such as, is there storage lockers available, etc. I am looking for those things that may not be spelled out for you when you are looking for that right marina for you.

As always, thank you!!
The easy way is walk the dock and talk to some residents or just book a week and judge for yourself. Maybe you have seen marinas that demand signed contracts, I have not. My experience is that you simply pay in advance for the day, week, or month Active Captain or just google will let you get started with marina lists and major amenities.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 09:54   #15

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
In my area (Kingston, Lake Ontario), there are few marinas and the costs have gone up, up, and up. Most places offer little or no services, and bad service when you can get it. And any marine mechanic without a 3 month wait time is just going to take your money and do a lousy job. After 30 years and 8 boats I have yet to see anything encouraging around here. Our biggest marina, Portsmouth Olympic Harbour, is being redone with a focus on condos, and very little concern for boats or boating. Visit Confed at your own risk, collisions occur daily. My one winter at KYC left me with more than a thousand bucks in unecessary damage (to my prop shaft by the crane). And when I wintered at the inner harbour (Kingston Marina) my boat was broken into and looted. Its no wonder that sailing and boating are disappearing from this town. Yes, the sailing here is great...we've got the wind and the islands. But for marine services...look elsewhere.

I've noticed the same thing in other parts of Lake Ontario. working on your own boat is definitely frowned upon now (where it was the norm 20 years ago) also most of the marina area's have been "Gentrified" making them absolutely useless for boaters but "pretty" for the masses to walk around on a sunday! We have one marina where the townhouses that were built right next to the travellift road complained so often about the noise to the marina that they altered their hours, severly restricting the marina's ability to service boats! Living aboard seems to be realy dead other than during the summer "holiday season" there used to be fairly large liveabaord communities in Pickering, the bluffs, harborfront and Port credit. All of those seem to have diminished to just a dozen or so boats per marina! Pickering alone ( when I was living aboard) had over 50 boats, a liveabaord lounge, and weekly potlucks and other events!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote