Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2017, 19:12   #31

Re: Questions for Marina BEFORE...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingriki View Post
Has anyone mentioned draft?
Good point. What beers do they regularly have on tap, and do they rotate through a variety of microbrews, or is it an unchanging small assortment of mega-brands?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 19:54   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Internet service & all of the questions which go with it.

On that point I learned having made the mistake of not checking - I would walk to the slip and test the actual internet with your phone. The Speedtest app from Ookla is cheap and effective.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 13:30   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingriki View Post
Has anyone mentioned draft?
Good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Good point. What beers do they regularly have on tap, and do they rotate through a variety of microbrews, or is it an unchanging small assortment of mega-brands?
According to hubby..this is most important..besides bacon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
On that point I learned having made the mistake of not checking - I would walk to the slip and test the actual internet with your phone. The Speedtest app from Ookla is cheap and effective.
YES! I will definitely 'test', I didn't even think about that...good one for sure!
TomAndLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 14:02   #34

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Ask about insurance. If you come back to your boat and find damage, vandalism, theft or worse...who pays? My guess...you!
That is why you have insurance on your boat. The marina can't be held responsible for everything that might happen to your boat. Suppose some other boater comes in and hits your boat while docking. How is that the marina's responsibility.

So speaking of insurance, if they require you to have liability insurance, that is good because it means the other slip holders have it as well.

One of the best ways to find out if a marina is a good place for you to keep your boat is to rent a slip for a month or two and stay on the boat. You'll find out the good, the bad and the ugly. Then you can either sign an annual lease, stay on month to month or move on to a more suitable place.
Old 24-07-2017, 14:06   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
The easy way is walk the dock and talk to some residents or just book a week and judge for yourself. Maybe you have seen marinas that demand signed contracts, I have not. My experience is that you simply pay in advance for the day, week, or month ..........
Nearly all the marinas I have stayed at as a transient had some sort of contract to be signed. Some are a single sheet and some are several pages. This could be for a single night or longer. At the very least, you are signing that you won't break the rules and that you have insurance.
Old 24-07-2017, 15:08   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvisailing32 View Post
Also, location of your slip. We would stay away from the vicinity of a dockside bar or shop filled area. The noise late in the evening is one thing. The other that can be a problem, is boaters pulling into your slip, heading to the bar, and you get back after a day sail, or a few days and nights of cruising and there is a strange boat in your slip.
Taking a partial quote. Our most recent contract contains language that stipulates posting an itinerary with the marina office, and that your marina slip could be rented out if you were cruising for an extended trip such as a weekend or week-long excursion. With no guarantee that you would receive the exact slip that you paid for. This is a restaurant and nightclub marina. So these terms may be important to research. And a spare set of keys to your boat at the marina office.

I would also suggest questioning the marina's policy on slapping halyards. Although this can be a melodious interlude, continuous clanking 24/7 could get on one's nerves.

Best of Luck
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 15:12   #37

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
I like the way you think!
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 18:53   #38
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
We have FREE BEER on tap everyday here at our marina. Happy hour from 5-7 PM three days a week, that includes free wine. The Beer is PBR, and it's cold. Not many complaints, but if you are that picky.....move along.

Actually, a lot of good questions and advice on this thread. Anyone looking for a great "liveaboard" marina on the US East Coast, shoot me a PM.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 21:09   #39

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Sisters View Post
Taking a partial quote. Our most recent contract contains language that stipulates posting an itinerary with the marina office, and that your marina slip could be rented out if you were cruising for an extended trip such as a weekend or week-long excursion. With no guarantee that you would receive the exact slip that you paid for. This is a restaurant and nightclub marina. So these terms may be important to research. And a spare set of keys to your boat at the marina office.

I would also suggest questioning the marina's policy on slapping halyards. Although this can be a melodious interlude, continuous clanking 24/7 could get on one's nerves.

Best of Luck
Oooohh, good one! Our first slip was next to Landry's and another bar. Whoompa Whoompa music until midnight plus on the weekends drove me nuts....but they had great Margheritas, so I dealt with it.
Then the new floating docks opened, I'm now in the very last slip and it's heaven. No one is near me and it's quiet.

For slapping halyards I offer a bungee cord and a suggestion. If that doesn't work, ear plugs work pretty good.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 06:36   #40

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
Oooohh, good one! Our first slip was next to Landry's and another bar. Whoompa Whoompa music until midnight plus on the weekends drove me nuts....but they had great Margheritas, so I dealt with it.
Then the new floating docks opened, I'm now in the very last slip and it's heaven. No one is near me and it's quiet.

For slapping halyards I offer a bungee cord and a suggestion. If that doesn't work, ear plugs work pretty good.
You know when I get to my Marina, the sounds of slapping halyards is welcoming music to my ears that I enjoy for only about 30 minutes then it is like that song on the radio that they play every 10 minutes 24/7 until everyone hates it!

I have been known to get up in the middle of the night and apply bungee cords to wayward halyards. My gift to sanity! I keep a lot of extras for this purpose.

I know you’re not supposed to go on someone else's boat without permission but I know they aren't there because they couldn't stand the noise either.

funny thing is, after they see the bungees on their boat they keep them on and even replace them when they ware out.
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 07:03   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
"Yes, the nearest West Marine is most important! "

Interesting. I've never bought anything from West Marine. And when I have checked prices, found them expensive.
Well, I guess that question wouldn't apply to you then, would it.

Many of us who do our own work would be concerned about getting boat parts locally, be it at West Marine or some other store.
Old 25-07-2017, 07:09   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Sisters View Post
......... and that your marina slip could be rented out if you were cruising for an extended trip such as a weekend or week-long excursion.................
I think that's a pretty common practice among marinas. Our marina is also a dry stack marina and many people thing they are at a walmart parking lot and it's OK to "park" their boat in any vacant slip.

We always call the marina ahead of our return and have them make sure our slip is empty on the day of our return. We tried leaving our docklines in place but people just untied them and left them on the dock. I even tried wire ties but they cut them.
Old 25-07-2017, 07:16   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
............ For slapping halyards I offer a bungee cord and a suggestion. If that doesn't work, ear plugs work pretty good.
Our marina doesn't allow sailboats so we don't have that problem. Before anyone gets bent out of shape, it's not the marina's choice, it's in their operating permit. The government wants to discourage sailboats in the river so they won't have to open the drawbridges and disrupt traffic.

We do have problems with the party crowd on the other dock but complaints to management from us and a few others have the main guy on notice that he will be leaving if he keeps it up.

BTW: The marina doesn't permit liveaboards either. Same thing, their operating permit, not their choice. People can "stay" on their boats but not "live" on them.
Old 25-07-2017, 07:20   #44

Why do people use expensive bungee cords for slapping halyards on other boats? Cheap flag halyard cord is my "weapon" of choice.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 07:29   #45

1) Dinghy Storage (in water, racks and policies)

2) Parking (automobile) Policies

3) Outside mobile mechanic policy

4) Haul-out facilities

5) Yard/Dockmaster and staff (hours and responsibilities....Do they walk the docks? If so, how regularly).

6) Security and access

7) Access to open water (bridges, locks, depths)

8) Exposure to weather (Wind, swell, waves).

9) Bath and shower facilities (access, cleanliness).

I would also walk the docks BEFORE I speak with anyone. I ask myself the following:

a) What kind of access do you have?
b) Are there people present?
c) What is the condition of the boats? (A marina full of derelict boats is a good reflection of the owners).
d) Condition of the docks and pilings. (If what you can see is neglected EVERYTHING is neglected).
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote