Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 04:40   #1

Boat: Gulf Star 36'
Question Questions about Canvas Work

This would be much easier to ask and google if I knew the correct terms for the project. I want to make canvas that goes all the way around the boat and attaches to the railings and down to the deck. The Morning Star is a Trawler and has some metal top railings and some are cables. I want to create a feeling of saftey for my dog and for any children that are on board when we cruise. My questions are #1 are the ones that connect to the metal railing laced on and then snaped at the bottom? If so, what kind of snaps would be best to use? #2 For the ones that go on the cable part of the railing do they slide on like on a curtain rod for example and then snap to the bottom, and again what kind of snaps.

Thanks for any help you can offer, any pictures would be appriciated if anyone has any or can find any. I had no luck googling "canvas for trawler railings" and such. I'm guessing these things have an actual name but I have not been able to find it.

Marsha
Morning Star36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:21   #2

Re: Questions about canvas work

look up "lee cloth lifeline" But usually such things are made of netting for the purpose you describe, as the netting would weigh far less (and be less expensive). Lee cloths are better as spray and wind deflectors, if you like that

As I recall, usually these things lace on, and it would be more secure to lace top and bottom for which you'd have to install eyestraps to the deck.

To build, just do rectangles with broad hems, install grommets, and lace to the boat

here's an example, not necessarily a suggestion. It looks here like it's got webbing for the laces ROBSHIP Lee Cloth at West Marine
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:28   #3

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

The awning rail and Keder welt could be useful in this application. I use this system to attach my canvas to my overhead arch.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:29   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Weather cloths.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:32   #5

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

I think the proper term for what you are planning is Weather Cloths. Typically they just cover the aft portion of the lifelines. If you want to have all-round protection for the lifelines I would use netting as the other poster recommended, for the forward section. Sunbrella or similar cloth would create a lot of windage and pressure on the forward lifelines when under way.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 16:16   #6

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Questions about Canvas Work

Lee cloths keep you in your berth when it's bouncy.
Weather cloths keep the spray out side the boat when it's bouncy (or most of it lol).
Old 08-10-2013, 18:00   #7

I don't know these things, being a multihull'er -)
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 19:31   #8

Boat: Seafarer 34 CB

I would recommend using netting as the other commenters state. We just fed ours through the metal railing (ours are attached with fittings, not welded in one piece) on the top. On the bottom we're attaching eyelets at the mid point between the stanchions and then will be using a rope to tension the bottom of the netting. If you are going to use canvas, I wouldn't got the route of the curtain rod style. You want it tight. I would install grommets and then weave a line through the grommets and over the railing.

Good luck!
Kelley
Old 08-10-2013, 20:57   #9

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
The awning rail and Keder welt could be useful in this application. I use this system to attach my canvas to my overhead arch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingChance View Post
If you are going to use canvas, I wouldn't got the route of the curtain rod style. You want it tight. I would install grommets and then weave a line through the grommets and over the railing.
If this "curtain rod" statement is pointed at the awning rail and Keder welt, then that is incorrect.

On my boat, the top canvas that I retain to my arch w/ the awning rail and Keder welt is trampoline tight. These parts permit a small, clean, strong, easily removable and secure attachment, the other end is used to tension the canvas.

This reply shows my usage of the awning rail and Keder welt on the top canvas panels on my boat.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:24   #10

Boat: Gulf Star 36'

I want to thank everyone for your help on this. You have given me some very good ideas. Fortunatly I am an expert seamstress (upholsterer) by trade and am able to make these myself on my sailmaker sewng machine.
You have given me some excellent ideas and advise and now I even know what these things are called!! Thanks again my friends. I will try to post some pictures when I get the project completed.
Morning Star36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canvas