Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2020, 12:49   #1

Quartz Countertops

I’m redoing my galley and 2 heads and I want to put quartz countertops in ... what do we think of quartz on a 46’ sailboat
Haleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 12:52   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Quartz Countertops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haleym View Post
I’m redoing my galley and 2 heads and I want to put quartz countertops in ... what do we think of quartz on a 46’ sailboat
I would not do it because you get weight without practical benefits. If you use granite then you get the most durable and fully heat resistant countertop so that’s what I would do.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 13:18   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Or, increase utility and save money by using butcher block wood. It comes in pretty colors if you don't mind destroying rain forests to get it. Otherwise, maple. And, you can trim it to fit yourself.
Old 27-01-2020, 14:46   #4

Boat: 1985 Ericson 32-3

Or Corian. You can frequently find it cheap on Craigslist when people re-do a kitchen.
Checkswrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 16:23   #5

Boat: Catalina 320

I've got Corian and while it has served well it makes for a heavy icebox lid that some have managed to drop on their hand.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 07:04   #6

Yes I have looked into corian but would much rather have quartz.. just wondering if anyone has it in there boat now and how is it holding up. Thank you guys
Old 28-01-2020, 07:13   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkswrecks View Post
Or Corian. You can frequently find it cheap on Craigslist when people re-do a kitchen.

That's my choice. Corian (or the different European analogues) is a lovely material which feels better than stone to work on, doesn't break dishes like granite, can be sanded to remove dings and scratches. In my opinion it's much better for a boat than any kind of hard stone counter.

Downside is cost, and it's fairly heavy, though probably not heavier than stone.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 07:22   #8

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Is the OP talking about synthetic quartz? It's lighter than the real stuff and works and installs similar to Corian. It has real quartz in it so working with it is a bit different.
Old 28-01-2020, 07:40   #9

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

What ever you get, make certain they have proper fiddles. Most stone tops have nothing and IMO fiddles are extremely helpful if you ever plan to make food while under sail.

Edit: Here's a link to a corian top that was specially made w/integrated fiddles. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...out-50762.html

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 07:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Is the OP talking about synthetic quartz? It's lighter than the real stuff and works and installs similar to Corian. It has real quartz in it so working with it is a bit different.

Yes quartz as a man made material -synthetic quartz yes
Old 28-01-2020, 07:42   #11

Weight and price isn’t a worry for me I’m just wanting to know if it’s gonna crack underway

Thank you
Old 28-01-2020, 07:59   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haleym View Post
I like quartz a lot and have done three kitchens with it. Better than granite as it is stronger, more heat tolerant to setting a hot pot down, and doesn't need sealing as granite does to avoid stains. Most new power boats over about 35-feet or so have come with granite (or quartz) countertops for over a decade now. Silestone brand of quartz is a personal favorite.

Leaving aside the issue of overall weight and top-load hatches, I am installing Corian in my boat as part of a major refit, even though it has a slightly dated feel. Two primary reasons: first, Corian is easier to fabricate for the twists and turns common on boat countertops, sometimes with vertical surface or shelf. Second, its a bit softer and less prone to chipping/breaking glass/ceramic dinnerware which is our preference. Interestingly, there is not a significant price difference between Corian, Granite, Quartz, or even Formica, presumably because actual fabrication is the largest cost.

The above said, if re-sale is in your future, Quartz would give a very nice look and be perceived as a benefit to Corian. Just depends on what you're trying to achieve.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 10:29   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quartz is not very durable. You can not put a hot pan on it. If you spill wine on white quartz you will have a spot.

Same for Corian. I have Corian and like the look (mine is just white), but it scratches easily, can’t take a hot pan and stains. Weighs the same as quartz or granite.

Quartz and Corian (solid surface) are epoxy based products. Nothing beats granite. You can put a propane burner on the same spot for hours and nothing bad will happen.

Other good choice is stainless steel. Commercial galleys all use stainless steel.
Old 28-01-2020, 10:43   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Quartz is not very durable. You can not put a hot pan on it. If you spill wine on white quartz you will have a spot.
This is not correct - must be referring to a different product than engineered stone/quartz. Quartz is non-pourous (e.g. will resist wine stains), inert, and temperature stable. It is possible to scorch it, but that is extremely difficult: basically a torch. A hot pot won't do it (Corian withstands 450-degrees and is fairly heat-tolerant too). Quartz will not crack and is stronger than Granite (occasionally, granite cracks, though some granites are stronger than others). Quartz, unlike Granite, is 100% maintenance free - granite is somewhat porous and requires sealing to prevent stains.

Quartz is a dynamite product and is displacing granite in modern kitchens for good reasons. I just prefer Corian solid-surface products in boats.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 11:52   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
This is not correct - must be referring to a different product than engineered stone/quartz. Quartz is non-pourous (e.g. will resist wine stains), inert, and temperature stable. It is possible to scorch it, but that is extremely difficult: basically a torch. A hot pot won't do it (Corian withstands 450-degrees and is fairly heat-tolerant too). Quartz will not crack and is stronger than Granite (occasionally, granite cracks, though some granites are stronger than others). Quartz, unlike Granite, is 100% maintenance free - granite is somewhat porous and requires sealing to prevent stains.

Quartz is a dynamite product and is displacing granite in modern kitchens for good reasons. I just prefer Corian solid-surface products in boats.
Modern kitchens? You mean posh show kitchens! Show me one single quartz countertop manufacturer who writes that it is okay to put hot pots straight on their countertop. They don’t, they all explicitly exclude that from warranty.

If you want the professional’s choice then you go for stainless steel. There is not a single professional galley aboard ship nor airplane that uses quartz.

Quartz as natural mineral is all that you describe, but quartz countertops are a man made material, namely ground natural quartz suspended in epoxy resin. The actual quartz material inside is okay and super duty durable but the binder is the weak spot. It is also the binder that wears off, just like solid surface does and this is when it starts staining.

Granite can crack when you bend it. The stories about spontaneous cracks are unlikely but cases do exists where a slab has internal stress. Doesn’t happen with good quality though. Yes it needs to be sealed but it is not like marble or travertine which is porous.