Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2019, 10:54   #16

Boat: Sigma 41
Re: PVC dinghy with chaps/cover- how long will it last?

I bought a used Zodiac 2.6 Cadet made of PVC which was fine in Maine. I brought it to Miami and after several years of light use the floor parted from the tubes which were fine. I tried gluing with PVC glue which never held up. A boat dealer told me Zodiac refused to honor the warranty for these models when they failed with little use in the Florida heat and humidity.
I was given a 1995 Sillenger hypalon roll up which today works great. I replaced one of the plywood floor boards but the no leaks and no problem with glue, etc. Stay with hypalon!
dneve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 20:18   #17

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Bulawayo, You are right, I wasn't wasnt polite and I apologize for that. I didn't mean to single you out.
I only wanted to express that those who keep saying PVC in the tropics will just fall apart is not true. In fact, PVC is almost always better dollar if you 1) don't expect to keep the dink over 10 to 15 years or 2) don't expect to live on the boat full time in the tropics for more than 5 to 10 years. For most of us, the OP certainly, the difference between $1000 lasting 5 years or $3000 lasting 20yrs is a no brainer... the 5yr deal is better. Not many people keep their dink 20+ yrs and the likelihood is he won't, I won't. And if we do, the money saved over time is negligible. However, the $2k today is really big! So the OP should absolutely buy quality uv PVC. IMO. I mean, those people saying Hypalon have to realize their advice means 'don't buy an Epirb' or don't buy a life raft or don't replace that rusting life line... buy the cheap dink that will get you a few years and get the stuff that keeps you safe and go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
This info is crap? How polite. Miami is NOT in the tropics, the Caribbean is. If you have a PVC dinghy that has survived this long under the conditions described then you clearly have a miracle dinghy. I suggest you contact the manufacturer and sell it back to them at a premium as you will have a unique dinghy. PVC dinghies do NOT survive in the tropics and the West Marine brand is renowned for failing in such conditions. The UV inhibitors simply do not work. It sounds as though you have been extremely fortunate. There will always be exceptions to the rule - adding chaps will certainly enable quality PVC to have an extended life but it will never survive the rigours of the tropics like hypalon. We bought our family dinghy (3.3m all aluminium "RIB", Australian made Ocean Craft) to replace our 15 year old Avon 310 hypalon roll up which was still going strong without chaps. Subsequently, we also bought a second Ocean Craft for the kids to use as their duck (dinghy) was another Avon but nearly 30 years old. That ancient Avon is still with me as a fall back, and is still perfectly serviceable. Try that with a PVC dinghy. Read other peoples experience before believing that your own is gospel. We cruised full time since 1995, with our children being born whilst sailing.We cruised globally, until my wife's illness of two years ago, and have shared information about equipment with so many live aboards - and dinghies always get talked about. It is a constant sorry tale of woe regarding PVC. I wish you good luck with yours.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 21:45   #18

I have this one :
https://www.giga-bikes.nl/en/122796-...x-42-cm-white/

Cheap Chinese PVC and therefor less quality , my wife and I made a chap for it and sofar it has lasted 4 years in the Med. summer sun .
Without a chap ( see chap picture down ) it will not last 3 year , not to say what the scorching Caribbean sun will do to it .
Have a look at the price in the link above and allow me to explain my philosophy underneath .

This is a 2m70 aluminum floored spacious dinghy and you can buy four or five of them for the price of a comparable Hypalon dinghy.
In the Med. & tropics thieves will not be interested in a PVC knowing that it will melt and stick to their *ss in no time.
They want expensive quality and will try and get from those willing ( and able) to buy it .
So the more money you spend on a dinghy the higher the risk of it getting stolen.
Very unfair , but this is the world we live in and it will not improve considering the global overpopulation . It will get a lot worse !!

So we boaters have come to a point where we will have to go in to competition with each other and use the other guy as a lightning/theft arrester / diverter.

I too admirer some of the hypalon dinghies I see on the anchorage , but the risk of having it stolen and the sleepless nights thinking about it ( before and after the facts) overshadow that nice feeling of cruising in quality .

Regards

bobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 16:51   #19

Boat: Mariner 38 Pilot House

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
Bulawayo, You are right, I wasn't wasnt polite and I apologize for that. I didn't mean to single you out.
I only wanted to express that those who keep saying PVC in the tropics will just fall apart is not true. In fact, PVC is almost always better dollar if you 1) don't expect to keep the dink over 10 to 15 years or 2) don't expect to live on the boat full time in the tropics for more than 5 to 10 years. For most of us, the OP certainly, the difference between $1000 lasting 5 years or $3000 lasting 20yrs is a no brainer... the 5yr deal is better. Not many people keep their dink 20+ yrs and the likelihood is he won't, I won't. And if we do, the money saved over time is negligible. However, the $2k today is really big! So the OP should absolutely buy quality uv PVC. IMO. I mean, those people saying Hypalon have to realize their advice means 'don't buy an Epirb' or don't buy a life raft or don't replace that rusting life line... buy the cheap dink that will get you a few years and get the stuff that keeps you safe and go!
I agree itís all about what solves the immediate problem and does it make sense to spend $5k now or $2500x2 over six seasons?

We found a used Honda/Zodiac 310 combo for a great price in PVC fully aware of the drawbacks. We now have a like new boat and motor for what just the 310 or Highfield equivalent costs bare. This was considered an essential purchase along with any missing safety items prior to departing. We made an educated choice and if I need to replace the rib in two or three years so be it and we still got a good deal.

Sometimes the debates surrounding hypolon and pvc sound a lot like the Mac vs PC war lol..
mcon12000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy