Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2018, 09:55   #1

Boat: Looking for
Pullman berths

My wife and I are still looking at desired attributes for a liveaboard mono for six months out of the year in the Caribbean. We would like a boat with two berths, allowing periodic visitor comfort. We have so far been discounting boats that have Pullman berths. We chartered two boats with Pullman berths, but have never slept in one. Any experience with having an adult couple spend time in one, and if it seems to work out or not would be appreciated. Some very nice boats out there that we have not really considered.
Thanks!
devins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 11:03   #2

Re: Pullman berths

You have been discounting them against a centerline aft? Or even a V? Funny, I have always considered it the #1 choice.

I have a V and aft pullman aboard, definitely the aft pullman is the owners cabin, it's great!
The only downside is yes, one has to climb over the other if they need to get up in the middle of the night or before the other wakes up. But there are many more pros to outweigh that negative.

1) Sometimes you can get a pullman as large as a queen and even with a real mattress (mines a double mattress with foam as a filler by the hull with a queen topper).

2) It is against the hull, so at least on Hooked, it allows a reclined day bed/couch like option that I like to use often. Mine is large enough that the PO says he would sleep athwartships (king wide bulkhead) underway on passage on certain points of sail and fore and aft in other and that was especially good for single or double handing for both seakindliness and quick cockpit access.

3) Versus a V or aft centerline it is certainly the most seaworthy offshore (many say pilot berths are the most, we have one on each side).

4) My observation is a pullman can offer better central cabin space and layout for my taste.

You can see a Hooked's pullman here https://m.sailboatlistings.com/view/54312
and there is a youtube link there that shows it better. I am also glad it is an aft pullman vs fwd pullman. It's quiet, a gentle rocking if it's blowing, I love the views from my aft hull porthole and again quick access to the cockpit.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 07:09   #3

Boat: Looking for

Thanks for the info Cherry. I was wondering more of the type of Pullmans on a Beneteau CC42+ or a Hunter CC42+

The one in the pick looks better than the tapper on the foot side on the above boats?? Not sure if they would be comfortable for a couple
devins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 10:22   #4

I looked up a Bene 42 cc, a 2006 on yw. I assume it's that model?

Wow yeah, that pullman is more like for a single because of the foot.
Mine is literally a full (double) mattress we were able to squeeze down the companionway. Doable probably because she's an aft cockpit, so a larger companionway than a CC, to get it down, and an off center companionway to allow such a wide berth. So yes the foot of mine is the width of a double, bulkhead is king wide, we fit a queen topper, it's the largest pullman I have seen on a boat under 50' (it did have a major cruising conversion though, different from all other S43s).

Those ones you list are small, I bet, because they are CC, they are not suppose to be big, just guest berths. It was designed to dedicate the full breadth of the stern into a stateroom for the huhe centerline bed, right? In a CC if a there's a pullman that can fit a couple my guess is you need to be looking at 47'+. Aft cockpit boats with pullmans are a different story.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote