Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2016, 09:52   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Puget Sound - need moorage

I'm will probably be buying a boat in the Puget Sound area and will need a berth for 6-12 months where I can liveaboard. I've been checking the websites, but so far all the sites I've tried have 2-3 year waiting lists.

Any one in Puget Sound have a suggestion?
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 09:59   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Puget Sound - need morage

Where in Puget sound? The bremerton marina has spaces the bremerton marina in port orchard has space the railway marina in port orchard has space the crows nest marina in Tacoma has space the Foss harbor marina in Tacoma has spaces the list goes on let me know where in Puget sound and I can advise better
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 12:59   #3

Boat: Tashiba-31

Thanks for the info! I'll check those locations out. I'm pretty flexible on location.
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 13:35   #4

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Port of Poulsbo has some liveaboard slots available. You'll have to ask about moorage for your size boat.

Joe
Old 27-02-2016, 13:49   #5

In the Sanjuans, calling on all is best. Between march-Oct ancoring is safe and free...after that you would need to be moving based on the weather and on top of it. You can purchase a parks permit for the year which gives dicounted use of parks moorings that are all over, just need to mind the time limits.

Deer harbor Marina, Mark, harbor master. Full year discounted rates, discounted winter partial year rates, high partial in summer. On Orcas Island

Cayou Quay Marina, Erik and Pam owners, private marina On orcas island best to call

West Sound marina, Betsy owner, private marina, On orcas island best to call but email works on Orcas island

Spencers Landing, Kim Smith harbor master, Lopez island, best to call

Port of Friday harbor, long wait list, but you never know San Juan Island

Shipyard Cove, Erik Benson Harbor master, usually full, San Juan Island

Jensons Shipyard, San Juan Island, super sketchy but a maybe, San Juan Island
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 07:53   #6

Boat: Rawson 30PH

Anacortes is a good choice. Skyline Marina has openings and good facilities, as does Cap Sante.
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 08:16   #7

Yes, try Anacortes. Or if you need to be near Seattle, Shilshole Bay marina allows sublets, so people regularly sublet up to 6 months. I lived out there for 3 years without actually having a slip of my own. Often just moving a few spaces down. But probably the only way to do it is to visit and read the posting board.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 09:02   #8

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Way up north there's Squalicum Harbor and Blaine, both run (pretty well overall) by Port of Bellingham. There's lots of room for a boat of any size in Blaine, for Squalicum it really depends on size - not so much available in the 30' range. Not cheap but close to the San Juans, Vancouver, coastal BC and some great sailing.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 10:16   #9

Boat: 1985 Hershine 48' YachtFish
Send a message via AIM to Splash of Lime

Poulsbo is a great place. Try Liberty bay Marina. Super nice people, totally safe and secure,. Nice new showers, laundry, mail, etc. Lowest prices I have seen. Walk to town for shopping. My boat is for sale, talk to Kathy Swanson. She is the marina manager, super nice lady. She can also show my boat to you. 60k . . . should be 80k
You can also try the city dock a little cheaper but not as nice or secure but really close right in the middle of town and fuel dock. Good luck.

Captain Chuck
Splash of Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 11:06   #10

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43

Foss Harbor marina has a waiting list for liveaboards now.

If you want to get sailing in the islands faster, I would recommend Skyline in Anacortes. Cap Sante is ok, but I didn't care for their prices.
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 11:09   #11

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Need more info. Size and what locations you would be happy with. Roche is nice in the winter if you like peace and quiet.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 11:35   #12

Roche....ick
Old 28-02-2016, 12:36   #13

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43

We are at Foss Harbor Marina and though I think they are full for the moment you could get on a list.. Ian is very pleasant and tries hard to accomodate.
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 13:36   #14

FYI on the San Juans,

Fisheries supply delivers to Lopez, Orcas and San juan every two weeks, free of charge. You can walk on the ferry from any island with ferry service and take the Bellair shuttle to SeaTac for about $35.00 one way(Will eat up about 1 day), Kenmore air operates daily flights from Lopez, Orcas, Shaw and San Juan with shuttle service to Seatac, approx $120-$140 one way, they also operate wheeled flights from Orcas and San Juan to Boeing field wit hshuttle service to SeaTac. (About 1 hr total)
Old 28-02-2016, 14:00   #15

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash of Lime View Post
Poulsbo is a great place. Try Liberty bay Marina. Super nice people, totally safe and secure,. Nice new showers, laundry, mail, etc. Lowest prices I have seen. Walk to town for shopping. My boat is for sale, talk to Kathy Swanson. She is the marina manager, super nice lady. She can also show my boat to you. 60k . . . should be 80k
You can also try the city dock a little cheaper but not as nice or secure but really close right in the middle of town and fuel dock. Good luck.

Captain Chuck
Liberty Bay is really nice and so is Kathy. However getting liveaboard status will be a challenge. Port of Poulsbo port politics can be contentious, but the rates are about the lowest in Puget Sound and they got an increased allowance of 13 liveaboard slots from the City of Poulsbo. Security at Port of Poulsbo is locked gates except for D Dock where I had my troller tied up until now. Still that wasn't a problem.

If I were still in Poulsbo and Liberty Bay had a liveaboard space, that would be my choice.

Cheers,

Tags
puget sound