Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2016, 18:40   #16

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41
Re: Prospective Boston Liveaboard – Heating and Condensation

Two things:
1. Read The Essentials of living aboard a boat, by Mark Nicholas.

He did it for a good while out of the very Marina you're looking at and wrote a book about it...

2. Join the Boston Liveaboards yahoo groups forum. I believe it's still being run by Ahmet last time I checked.... Again, about 90% of the people on that forum stay at the very Marina you're looking at and they've been addressing every possible question you could possible have for years now. They're also great for sharing resources and recommending local services.

That should really be all that you need. If you have any other questions message me....

Good luck and hopefully Ill see you in the harbor!

Sent from my C6730 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 05:46   #17

Hello! I too am concerned about heating my boat in winter. I have lived aboard before, but this time will be doing it with bigger kids and more responsibilities than last time. I winterized before so I had no running water and I froze! :-) Now, I'm in Maryland so it's not quite as cold as Boston, but we do have some freezing times. I think I have settled on winterizing engines and generator and small outside water lines. This will involve adding cut off valves if they aren't already present. I have spent some time learning all about amps, volts and watts to see how much electric heat I can count on! Also, in case the power goes out I have decided on a propane fireplace or possibly two depending on the boat I choose. I also throw antifreeze in the bilge water... just in case! You will really need that in Boston! :-)
Now, you are concerned about mildew and boat smell from the condensation... I myself never was concerned about that and never really had too much of a problem with it. But I did have an old boat ('73 Chris Craft) and I guess I did have a bit of a problem because I wouldn't use the drawers! They did smell now that I'm remembering.
I enjoy the humidity, but I admit it can be an issue with cloths. But, I have found what I believe it a fix! Line your closets with cedar. You can add cedar in your drawers as well. You don't have to find a boat with a cedar closet, just go and buy cedar from your local wood supplier (84 lumber, home depot, loews...). It worked in my gramma's very old, very smelly and mildewy house! Everything smelled in her house, especially the basement. The cedar closets saved all our cloths! I plan on installing cedar before I even move onto my boat of choice.
I wish you very good luck! I LOVED living aboard and I miss it dramatically. I wasn't made for a house. I can't wait to get back onto the water!!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do and if you want to pick my ear about living aboard and marina life, feel free! I miss it and love talking about it! lol :-)
Old 27-07-2016, 13:22   #18

Boat: Pearson 281

http://cubicminiwoodstoves.com/

I am always advocating wood burning stoves for boats. Not many agree with the idea but I know from long experience that that the dry heat works well at helping the damp and the mildew in check.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 06:08   #19

Came across an electric infrared panel heater that was implemented by off-grid tiny houses. Does anyone here have experience it?

seidulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 06:33   #20

HRV/dry heat is the most effective way to minimize condensation issue. Insulating the hull needs to be approached with extreme caution because unless the insulation is a vapor barrier, you'll risk condensation on the interior hull.

Tags
condensation, heating, liveaboard