Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2021, 07:26   #1

Thumbs down PROPOSED BILL WOULD MAKE KEYS LIVEABOARDS MOVE EVERY 3 MONTHS

https://keysweekly.com/42/proposed-b...very-3-months/

If not right fourm please move
warren5421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 07:38   #2

Re: PROPOSED BILL WOULD MAKE KEYS LIVEABOARDS MOVE EVERY 3 MONTHS

Not all liveaboards. Only those anchoring. Doesn't really strike me as that much of a hardship (unless your boat is a true derelict) to move to a different spot in the anchorage every three months.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 07:51   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: PROPOSED BILL WOULD MAKE KEYS LIVEABOARDS MOVE EVERY 3 MONTHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Not all liveaboards. Only those anchoring. Doesn't really strike me as that much of a hardship (unless your boat is a true derelict) to move to a different spot in the anchorage every three months.
Good policy...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 08:35   #4

I doubt very much that what you are suggesting "to move to a different spot in the anchorage" would be legally considered moving. I think moving means to a different anchorage and its probably going to be tracked with a database and permit system that enforces the rules.

Quote:
Westcliffe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 08:52   #5

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:

In a newspaper article it stated that one of the items is that it would have to be 4 - 5 miles away from the previous anchorage. This would preclude you from anchoring around key west if you had already been anchored there. For workers this means getting a job in Key West for 90 days and then finding another job whereever you reanchor or obtaining transportation back to Key West. For a short period I took a job on Summerland Key and used the bus. This added 3 - 4 hours to my work day (commute time plus waiting around for busses that only run at infrequent times)and made the job untenable.
Old 20-03-2021, 10:28   #6

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

The derelict boat problem is a thorny one and we, as boaters, haven’t solved it. Seems to be a reasonable rule for a busy place.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 11:51   #7

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Seems a reasonable rule for anyplace, busy or not. There should also be weekly inspections to verify that the Y-valve is secured in the off position, especially in the Keys.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 12:08   #8
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

A reasonable rule for those that are passing through but not for those that live and work in the area.
Why not put the same rule on those that are in marinas?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 12:34   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
A reasonable rule for those that are passing through but not for those that live and work in the area.
Why not put the same rule on those that are in marinas?
Usually people in marinas pay for it. However in France, some marinas (specially affordable public marinas) have a rule for "Bateaux ventouses" (loosely translated as barnacle boats) where you have to take out the boat for at least one week per year or you lose the spot in the marina.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 12:47   #10
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
Usually people in marinas pay for it. However in France, some marinas (specially affordable public marinas) have a rule for "Bateaux ventouses" (loosely translated as barnacle boats) where you have to take out the boat for at least one week per year or you lose the spot in the marina.

What are people in the marinas paying for?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 12:57   #11

Quote:
The pay for the right to park their boat. So in theory, as long as you pay you can leave your crappy boat there.

In France this has become a problem where the demand for spaces exceeds by far the available ones, so it's often easier to go on paying for a prime spot than trying to find an alternative. The marinas don't like it, when they basically become a ghost town where nobody uses the boats.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 13:17   #12

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

In our marina contract it states that the boat has to motor or sail to a specific entrance buoy (about 3-4 Miles away) once a month at the request of the marina management. Naturally I've not seen them ask anyone to do this as the boats around here all seem to be in good condition, but it means that the marina has a method by which it could remove unseaworthy boats. Good idea in my opinion. I did ask them when I was working on my engine last year but they said it was fine for me to be engineless for Maintenance purposes
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 13:31   #13

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

An anchorage is public property, a marina is private property. Two very different things.
We are talking about a public space held in common for the citizenry similar to a national park. Overstayers and abusers of the commons have to be held to account in some fashion or other, these sorts of laws are an attempt to do just that. In a private or even municipal marina a legal structure already exists to deal with those who overstay or who allow their boats to become derelict.

Regarding the need to move every 90 days, what happens if you go for a 4 hour sail every Sunday and return to the anchorage afterwards? Or even leave overnight and then anchor in a different part of the anchorage? Seems to me that would satisfy the legalities......
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 13:36   #14

Quote:
Marinas (and yacht clubs) have the right to differentiate between boats used for boating, and boats used only as cheap squats. It's not like you can do anything you want with that rented slip. They're usually pretty clear about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Regarding the need to move every 90 days, what happens if you go for a 4 hour sail every Sunday and return to the anchorage afterwards? Or even leave overnight and then anchor in a different part of the anchorage? Seems to me that would satisfy the legalities......
If the intent is to limit anchoring to transient vessels, and to discourage "perpetual" anchoring as an alternative to renting a slip or mooring (which eats up the spots available to transient or visiting boats), then I suspect it wouldn't be permitted.

Just a guess; I have no dog in this fight, except for the hope that we will transit this area at least once.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 13:44   #15

It seems perfectly reasonable to me that if you want to anchor in navigable waters that your boat ACTUALLY be capable of navigating... This seems a reasonable way to ensure that.

You have to be moving your boat every week or two to empty its holding tank. Aren't you? If you are not doing this, you should worry about enforcement of THAT rule, not this new one...

This opinion from a full time liveaboard who hasn't had dirt under his toenails for 20 years.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard