Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2023, 17:44   #1

Private dock in Sarasota, FL - liveaboard

Hello cruisers. I'm very interested in living aboard. However, I still don't have a boat for such purposes, which is why I think its important to do this first....

I live in Sarasota, and there aren't any local liveaboard marinas here. I live very close to the downtown marina currently (Marina Jack's) but they don't technically allow living aboard unless, obviously, you're in the mooring field. I'd prefer to live in the marina for my first attempt at life aboard, even if its just for a few months - one year.

Therefore, I'm looking for a private space to put a boat when I do acquire one. I know its a long shot - maybe there's a better place to post this? - but if anybody knows anybody with private seawall or dock behind their house that I could rent I would be very grateful!
nichthyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2023, 18:18   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Private dock in Sarasota, FL - liveaboard

While advanced planning is always a good thing, in this case your choice of location is dependent on length and draft of the boat as both can be limiting factors.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2023, 18:22   #3
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

good idea .. find the dockage before you buy the boat.
Old 26-03-2023, 18:25   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
While advanced planning is always a good thing, in this case your choice of location is dependent on length and draft of the boat as both can be limiting factors.
Agreed. I should note I’m looking for a 30-36’ LOA sloop. I like the idea of shoal drafted keel, since the bays around sarasota can be shallow, but i also would like a full keel for stable ocean sailing. Ultimately this will be a live aboard & coastal Florida cruiser.
Old 27-03-2023, 05:03   #5

Boat: Manta 42 Mk IV Catamaran

You can not live aboard at any Private dock in Florida if it is on a canal. Most are.
Avionics_Joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 06:27   #6

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichthyes View Post
Agreed. I should note I’m looking for a 30-36’ LOA sloop. I like the idea of shoal drafted keel, since the bays around sarasota can be shallow, but i also would like a full keel for stable ocean sailing. Ultimately this will be a live aboard & coastal Florida cruiser.
I know you really haven't started boat hunting yet, but...

Keels.

Generally, "full keel" means long from front to back. Despite very loud opinions on this forum, that is a very dated design with very poor performance and minimal if any upside. There is a reason no "few?" builder makes one these days, and I don't think it is cost. It is because a fin keel is faster, less tippy, and steers better -- and most buyers want those characteristics.

But, full keels do have one advantage that may fit with your goals. Full keels tend to be shallower, with a longer flat bottom. They fit better in shallow water, and sit better on the bottom when the tide goes out.
sailingharry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2023, 16:40   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avionics_Joe View Post
You can not live aboard at any Private dock in Florida if it is on a canal. Most are.
Thanks for the input everyone. @Avionics_Joe I didn't realize this. When you say canal, what exactly defines a canal? And I'm assuming when you say "you can not" that means legally...?

Thanks.
Old 28-05-2023, 16:56   #8

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

It may be sacrilege, but any particular reason why you're looking at sail? If you're mostly living aboard, and doing a little coastal cruising, a power boat ("trawler" style) might be more comfortable and "homey." Other options would be the older Carvers and Bayliners and such which have a LOT of interior space, at the expense of some sea-keeping ability. But for coastal cruising where you only go when the weather is good, these are good enough.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2023, 18:43   #9

Boat: Manta 42 Mk IV Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichthyes View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. @Avionics_Joe I didn't realize this. When you say canal, what exactly defines a canal? And I'm assuming when you say "you can not" that means legally...?

Thanks.
Not sure of the legal definition but if there is a home on the other side of your dock I would bet on it being a canal.
Avionics_Joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2023, 18:55   #10

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Not sure of the legal definition but if there is a home on the other side of your dock I would bet on it being a canal.

Right? It’s a hard question to answer. But you would know one if you saw one, OP

They are these cuts in the land in Florida. They are in between all the houses in the developments.

If you picture a neighborhood and you picture a road running right down the middle of it with lots of houses on either side lining the road… , now fill that road with water and some docks, that’s pretty much what a canal is. .

They look like this from the sky.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BBF12E9E-03F4-44E1-9FEB-332692876E63.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	275945  
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 06:22   #11

Boat: Imexus 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Right? It’s a hard question to answer. But you would know one if you saw one, OP

They are these cuts in the land in Florida. They are in between all the houses in the developments.

If you picture a neighborhood and you picture a road running right down the middle of it with lots of houses on either side lining the road… , now fill that road with water and some docks, that’s pretty much what a canal is. .

They look like this from the sky.
OMG talk about dense packed keep up with the Jones’s suburbia with water in the back yard.
Looks like a half a day under motor just to reach some clear water for many.
So glad I live in a canal development in a remote corner of Australia!
Same deal here however, they don’t let you live on your boat on your jetty or pontoon for a large number of reasons including polluting the waterways which don’t flush very well to density of living.
We do have houseboat marinas however specifically designed to accomodate living on water on various craft.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0906.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	275976   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0852.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	398.3 KB
ID:	275977  

Name:	IMG_0858.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	418.0 KB
ID:	275978  
Grith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 07:16   #12

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Some communities in Florida do allow canal liveaboards, such as Las Olas Isles in Fort Lauderdale.

However, local ordinances require permanent pump-out facilities and other amenities to be legal. This is only right -- who wants you pumping your waste into their backyard?

Other communities prohibit it outright. Most waterfront homes are million-dollar-plus, and their owners have little need to supplemenbt their ample incomes that way.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2023, 12:23   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Quote:

What about Isle of Venice and Hendricks Isle in FtL? Lots of sanctioned live aboard slips with in slip pump outs
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 03:35   #14

The property must be zoned for multi family use, such as apartments or motels. Single family zoning is the issue.
Old 31-05-2023, 08:06   #15

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I once looked at a piece of FL property with a dock on a canal, and a garage on the lot. No house. It had water, electric and sewer. I wonder if that's considered "single family" use. I cry when I think about how much that lot would cost today.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, florida, liveaboard, Marina, sarasota