Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2016, 09:16   #1

Pressure Cooker vs slow cooker without electricity

I am thinking of getting a pressure cooker for cooking on the boat, but I am not sure which brand is safe and good quality. I definitely don't want to have any explosion accidentally on the boat. Honestly, I have never used it before in my life and thought that it would be simple and efficient for cooking on the boat. Any recommended brand?

I am shocked to find the slow cooker without electricity (wonderbagworld) suggested by people on this forum. I was wondering if it could do the same job like pressure cooker apart from their big pumpkin bag.
Aden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:29   #2

Re: Pressure Cooker vs slow cooker without electricity

My cent is to get an insulated cooker and skip the pressure and slow cooker.

I found ours in Nagasaki in 1983 - still works. Just a pot with a nice insulated container. Easy to use, can be used as ice box. I've used it many a times to transfer hot stew to a neighbors boat.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:40   #3

Any good brand should be fine as long as it has a relief valve. Not seen one without.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:43   #4

Thanks for the reply.

Do you mean like Mr D's Thermal Cooker? I have never used it before but need to do more research about the efficient way of cooking on the boat.
Aden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:48   #5

Boat: Boatless

My dear old Mom used pressure cooker a lot. Had the same one for more than 20 years. My sister-in-law inherited and still uses it. I had to replace the gasket once but that's it. Here's a statement which will save me the time. They're very safe. I use one on my boat.

"If you put the top on wrong - it won't reach pressure. If you do get it on and do not turn down the heat right away, the valve will release the extra pressure will activate. Should THAT be blocked, a secondary valve (usually a little silicone or rubber stopper) will kick-in to. Should THAT fail, the gasket (silicone or rubber circle that seals) will buckle and THAT will release pressure - I have never gotten to that stage but it can get messy (spraying food on your cook top and not the ceiling).

A self-locking handle will keep you from accidentally opening the pressure cooker while the contents are still under pressure.

I hope you consider pressure cooking - not just for the speed but for the flavor the health benefits to you and the planet (it's ridiculous how little energy it needs to operate)."
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:05   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

The only mistake I have made was taking the little weight off too quickly to release the pressure, when I should have cooled it down under the tap first. Anyway the gravy did clean off the ceiling and a fresh coat of paint hid the remaining evidence.

Is there a half way house though? pressure cooker brought up to pressure and then wrapped in a blanket and left for several hours to cook slowly.

Not sure how much it would be used in Florida but in the PNW cooking an ox tail and beef stew slowly during the day ready for the evening, yum.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:16   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aden View Post
I am thinking of getting a pressure cooker for cooking on the boat, but I am not sure which brand is safe and good quality. I definitely don't want to have any explosion accidentally on the boat. Honestly, I have never used it before in my life and thought that it would be simple and efficient for cooking on the boat. Any recommended brand?

I am shocked to find the slow cooker without electricity (wonderbagworld) suggested by people on this forum. I was wondering if it could do the same job like pressure cooker apart from their big pumpkin bag.
Howdy ADEN,

I see you are new to the forum. Welcome Aboard!

The following is not posted to stop your questions or to halt the comments here by others. But, since you are new to CF you may not know about some of the previous discussions on this or similar topics. I hope you find the links helpful.

Many previous discussions on this topic will yield many comments and tips. Here are links to Pressure Cooker threads:
https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...ker&gsc.page=1

You will also find a thread titled something like "Pressure Cooker vs. Slow Cooker vs Thermal Cooker"

Here are threads about the Thermal Cooker:

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...ker&gsc.page=1
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:21   #8

Boat: Fisher-25 motorsailer

Pressure cooker any day. We have a small one on the boat. Cooking in pots took way too long.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
storyinframes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:35   #9

Boat: Nauticat 321 Pilothouse
Send a message via AIM to MitchM

check out the Kuhn - Rikon 'risotto ' size pressure cooker. just the right size for a boat, beautifully made with a popup pressure relief valve .. and makes GREAT risotto.
MitchM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:55   #10

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

A pressure cooker is wonderful for veggies. Most veggies will stay crisp and colorful as well as flavorful. But you can use the pressure cooker for slow cooking toi. Heat your ingredients and wrap in blankets or a sleeping bag....several hours later your meal will be done. We have a 6qt pressure cooker for 2. Its just the right size for making 2 dinner servings each. 1 for today, one for tomorrow. For 1 pot meals this works great.
For whats its worth - we had a Hawkins pressure cooker with the jiggler top, they work fine and are bargin priced. But I bought a Tfal that is much nicer to cook with and was worth the extra expense.
Either way the pressure cooker is the one piece of cooking equipment I would not do without. You dont have to always use the pot under pressure so its way more versitile than "just a pot".
Old 10-12-2016, 11:29   #11

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

As steady hand pointed out this has been discussed so click on his links or just do a search. But for a quick answer Fagor pressure cookers are the way to go. And take a cooler and line it with a blanket that wraps around the pressure cooker and you can cut your propane use in a half. PS I just clicked on the links and it didn't work
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:02   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We are using two pressure cookers aboard for about 30 yrs. One of them is over 40 yrs. old, and the other maybe 20.

We use them as plain pots, with pressure for some dishes [stews, one pot meals, beans] , and without the gasket, for stove top bread making. You also can bake cakes in them. When it is hot, equatorial temps, it is really nice to bake your breads on the stove top in the morning when it's cooler. In a seaway, with their positively attaching lids, they're spill proof.

Ann
Old 10-12-2016, 12:08   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Pressure Cooker vs slow cooker without electricity

These guys have been around as long as me.. longer actually..
https://www.prestige.co.uk/pressure-cookers.html

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:26   #14

Boat: Fisher-25 motorsailer

Prestige r good brands for pressure cooker. @boatman61

Sent from my SM-G925I using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
storyinframes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 13:10   #15

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

We love our Instant Pot brand pressure cooker. Lots of relatives have them too (sister-in-law was first, raved about it to family.) It's perfect for the boat.

Any modern pressure cooker won't blow up unless you put explosives in it (that sentence probably triggered something at the NSA. Guys, I'm not planning to do that!!)

It'll run on our 2K inverter underway motoring, or keeps genset run time to a minimum at anchor. We've even run it on the inverter from the batteries.

You can also use it as a slow cooker. This would be good if you were motoring all day and had an inverter.

If AC power is a problem, then the bag cookers may be a better option.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric