Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2013, 11:37   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
re: Pregnant while being a liveaboard ?

"The week that she is expecting to deliver, stay in a hotel. Make life simpler for everyone and the comfort is worth the money. I realize that the date of delivery can be +/- two weeks, but should never exceed 40 weeks. As you get closer to the due date, her doctor should be able to estimate an actual date for the delivery. You really don't want that day to be in a sailboat! Good luck to you both! Mauritz"

Well, Mauritz, that might fit for you and your good lady, but as a woman who has been through 3 births, I say, let the lady decide. Some women are far more comfortable in their own space than in a hotel room or a hospital room. Yes, I agree there should be a plan in place in case there are difficulties, but we also need to remember that women have been having babies without doctoral support for a long time, and a well trained midwife is certainly capable of telling if there is a problem where the "patient" would need to go to the hospital. All the women I know who had babies while cruising did have them in the hospital. But here on land, I know women who had a midwife come to the home, and everything was just fine. So, PLEASE LET THE WOMAN CONCERNED MAKE THE DECISION!

Ann
Old 15-05-2013, 12:15   #17

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Not experienced birth aboard with my 2 kids but had close friends from Vancouver, Canada whose opinions I respect immensely, found she was pregnant while cruising Mexico quite a few years ago. They opted to sail to Hawaii where their son Chris was born in a hospital and 3 days later they sailed for the South Pacific. Arrived back in Mexico about 18 months later in time for the devastating hurricane that hit Cabo in the 80's. Came up and joined us in San Francisco Bay later that spring and their child was like a monkey swinging around their Endurance 35 from hand hold to hand hold. He was the most polite, well adjusted and fun kid to be around I've ever met. I've never forgotten how his upbringing aboard set him apart from other kids in a very postive way.
I agree it is up to Mom to decide where she is most comfortable giving birth but bringing kids up on boats is one of the greatest gifts you can give your child IMO! My kids still thank me for it and they are in their 40's.
Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 12:35   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
................... You really don't want that day to be in a sailboat! Good luck to you both! Mauritz
I agree that the decision should be the choice of the mother to be; however, we found no difficulty with our time up to the trip to the hospital at the onset of labor on the day of delivery with living aboard. Admittedly, as I posted above, our two year old fell from the dock the day before our son's birth, but that event was not related to Nancie's condition. Even at that date, Nancie was comfortable with her choice to remain aboard. Actually, we had never considered any alternate plan.
Old 15-05-2013, 12:52   #19

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hi Ann! The suggestion that I gave, was the wife's. She has been a practicing Ob/Gyn doctor for over 25 years; and still does. Her specialty is "Complicated Obstetrics"...now you know where she is coming from! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 17:29   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Teknav,

Hi Ann! The suggestion that I gave, was the wife's. She has been a practicing Ob/Gyn doctor for over 25 years; and still does. Her specialty is "Complicated Obstetrics"...now you know where she is coming from! Mauritz

Wow Mauritz, Now, I understand. Your good lady would be extremely familiar with everything that can go wrong.

I think the OP's good lady should have a plan for where to be and where to go and how to get there, and factor in the various advice she hears...and that the choice should be one both she and her husband are okay with.

Ann
Old 16-05-2013, 03:30   #21
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

All our kids were born using a midwife, its a great system. Pregnant women arnt ill you know!.

Ultimately its the womens decision, however I would feel that the boat is not a 'great' place to give birth.

Dave
Old 25-05-2013, 14:35   #22

Boat: Islander 36

We've got 3 children aboard our 36 foot Islander. Our 12 year old boy and two daughters aged 19 months and 4 months. When our 4 month old was born we stayed in a hotel for a short time because wife had to have an emergency C-section and the pain of climbing up and down the companionway as well as stepping up onto the deck from the dock would have been too great until the incision healed up which only took a couple of weeks.

A potential to consider.

-Roland
shilsholemarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 18:04   #23
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Why am I reading this thread?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 18:14   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
The week that she is expecting to deliver, stay in a hotel. Make life simpler for everyone and the comfort is worth the money. I realize that the date of delivery can be +/- two weeks, but should never exceed 40 weeks. As you get closer to the due date, her doctor should be able to estimate an actual date for the delivery. You really don't want that day to be in a sailboat! Good luck to you both! Mauritz
We stayed in an apartment for the month our second was born here in Mexico. Definitely a good idea although I opposed it at first, for what reason I can't really remember.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 14:14   #25

Boat: Westsail 32
We had a midwife deliver our son in our living room, while living on land, in a birthing pool. It was the best experience. After the birth we were able to lay in our own bed and in the comforts of our home with our newborn. About 18 years before this birth, we both experienced hospital births and were pretty determined to stay away from the hospitals.

We were lucky that I was healthy and so was the baby, and that my husband was a team player in the whole experience. He had a hard job of being my doula, getting the pool ready, cleaning it up, and all during a somewhat stressful time.

If we were to get pregnant now, while living aboard, we would weigh our options of birthing on board or birthing in a center. Either way it will be an overall decision of where your most comfortable, as the pregnancy ensues. The birthing centers have more room and birthing pools, where the boat does not have those options. The boat does have the comforts of home.

Good luck and hope all goes well.
Spicybutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 14:21   #26
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
"The week that she is expecting to deliver, stay in a hotel. Make life simpler for everyone and the comfort is worth the money. I realize that the date of delivery can be +/- two weeks, but should never exceed 40 weeks. As you get closer to the due date, her doctor should be able to estimate an actual date for the delivery. You really don't want that day to be in a sailboat! Good luck to you both! Mauritz"

Well, Mauritz, that might fit for you and your good lady, but as a woman who has been through 3 births, I say, let the lady decide. Some women are far more comfortable in their own space than in a hotel room or a hospital room. Yes, I agree there should be a plan in place in case there are difficulties, but we also need to remember that women have been having babies without doctoral support for a long time, and a well trained midwife is certainly capable of telling if there is a problem where the "patient" would need to go to the hospital. All the women I know who had babies while cruising did have them in the hospital. But here on land, I know women who had a midwife come to the home, and everything was just fine. So, PLEASE LET THE WOMAN CONCERNED MAKE THE DECISION!

Ann

Especially since due dates are notoriously unreliable. They're only accurate to about 21 - 30 days. What if you move off the boat "one week before" and the baby is 3 weeks late, not at all uncommon?

What I would say to watch out for is that joints start loosening up the last trimester. Some bones have to move in order for the baby to be born (that's one reason it hurts so much!) It can make you pretty unstable. I fell down a flight of stairs when I was seven months pregnant. I stubbed my toe quite badly but the baby was OK ... but she has to be extra-careful moving around the boat that last trimester.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 14:46   #27

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 393

From the title I thought you needed help with that. I was going to offer my services.
mikepmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 13:57   #28

On a YouTube channel called drake paragon there is an interview with a couple that has a baby and another on the way who liveaboard.
Jude2010 is offline   Reply With Quote