Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2019, 12:20   #1

Boat: working on it
Poulsbo Yacht Club marina

I'm looking at the possibility of buying a Marine Trader LaBelle in Liberty Bay moored under cover at PYC with transferable slip contingent on becoming a member. I'm familiar with Poulsbo but not this club or the marina, so I'm seeking any comments on the marina vibe and facilities.

Also investigating moorage possibilities in Gig Harbor, Tacoma and Olympia. Seattle is just too costly with wait lists and I'm perfectly happy with the south sound as a moorage.

Thanks in advance!
salishpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:16   #2

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Poulsbo Yacht Club marina

I don't know anything about Poulsbo but...
Gig Harbor and Tacoma are generally more expensive. GH is a great location and there are boaty supplies, repair and haulout there. I found the best rates in Port Orchard and Bremerton and about half the price of GH. I don't know anything about Olympia. I expect it's affordable also but JBLM traffic is always a mess.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:54   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I don't know anything about Poulsbo but...
Gig Harbor and Tacoma are generally more expensive. GH is a great location and there are boaty supplies, repair and haulout there. I found the best rates in Port Orchard and Bremerton and about half the price of GH. I don't know anything about Olympia. I expect it's affordable also but JBLM traffic is always a mess.
Thanks for the reply! I agree with your observations concerning Port Orchard and Bremerton. Poulsbo is attractive but it's also quite a drive. I learned the PYC membership comes with a mandatory initiation fee. Of course that's understandable but it escaped me at first. So I may indeed visit Port Orchard.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:24   #4

I was sailing out of the big Port Orchard Marina 3 times last month. It is nice with nice bathrooms and showers and being right downtown is convenient. Parking can be full and I was lucky to grab the last space on one day.
I kept my tri at Railway Marina which was cheaper at the time. It's good enough with bathrooms and showers and parking there can be a chore too. My friend kept his boat at Seldun Marina and he said it was the cheapest. It only has a porta potty but lots of parking.

If you can get in (afford) at Gig then I recommend it. Boaty supplies, West Marine, Tides Tavern, what's not to love? It also has direct access to the Sound. The issue with PO is the route through Rich Passage to the Sound and the current can flow up to 5 knots which will always be against you or so it seems.

All the marinas fill up in the summer so you need a game plan soon.

Where are you?
Old 07-04-2019, 09:00   #5

Sand crab, I'm in Texas so for awhile I'll be an absentee owner, hence no need for liveaboard status at this time. Aside from the Poulsbo boat I'm looking at a Tolly 34 tricabin better than new with twin Yanmars in Olympia. Will be visiting late May to buy a boat so my broker is lining a few up for me. I've also investigated Foss Harbor Marina, which can work for me because of its proximity to JBLM. Once I decide on a slip I can apply for liveaboard. I'm certain I can get a slip in Olympia. Already on the wait list at Shilshole because I have a good friend whose boat is there. It is more costly but I spent a week there and enjoyed the facilities, the neighbors and the Ballard location and proximity to Fisheries Supply, which I've found to be more affordable than West Marine.

But in the meantime, as a retired Soldier I like mid-Sound because I want to be able to make the boat available for free cruises for wounded warriors and their families at the Warrior Transition Battalion at Lewis. Every hour I spend at the helm takes me closer to eligibility for a 6pack license. If they want to pitch in donations for fuel or refreshments, that would be great but not required. I'm only 71, so I have the rest of my life in front of me.
Old 07-04-2019, 16:11   #6

I secured one of two available slips at Elliot Bay Marina. Liveaboards aren't allowed there, but it gives me a place to park while awaiting liveaboard status elsewhere.
Old 07-04-2019, 19:47   #7

Good for you. I was told last month that all the liveaboard slips were taken in all of Port Orchard and they had a 2-3 year wait. There are only a few allowed per marina, I think it's a state thing.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:44   #8

If you are going to charter then I think you want a US made boat or else you'll have to go thru the additional hassle of getting a Jones Act waiver. The Marine Traders were built in Taiwan.
Old 10-04-2019, 17:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
If you are going to charter then I think you want a US made boat or else you'll have to go thru the additional hassle of getting a Jones Act waiver. The Marine Traders were built in Taiwan.
Right you are! The wounded warrior cruises will be guests only, but as for the 6pack, I just want it for myself. In case I want to charge at some point, I'll need to make a campaign contribution to some member of congress for a private bill.

I managed to score a 40ft slip at Foss Harbor Marina and am already on the liveaboard wait list. I let the Elliot Bay slip go.

Tags
yacht