Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2019, 18:33   #1

Posible bent prop shaft

I am on the east coast in SC heading to Brunswick Ga. I hit something with my port prop and bent it. Had boat hauled and newly reconditioned spares were put on. Now I am getting a vibration above 1300RPM. I suspect I bent the shaft but just don't know. When i went in the engine room while at 1200RPM i could feel the shaft had a wobble in it whereas the other was smooth as glass. Can shafts be straightened and does anyone recommend a yard between SC and Jacksonville that knows alignment the right way. I have heard they can be pressed straight but not sure if thats a good solution.
LAKEBUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 06:21   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Orana 44
Re: Posible bent prop shaft

Brunswick Landing Marina is a very friendly place with a Travel Lift and machine shop - give them a call at 912 262 9264.

Good luck!

Pat
pstadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 06:34   #3

Re: Posible bent prop shaft

It’s an easy test while the boat is out of the water to check for bend. Set up a fixed point almost touching the end. Rotate the shaft, if it moves relative to the fixed point, it is bent. This should have been done by the people replacing a bent prop. It takes them minutes. If they didn’t they are ignorant or sloppy.

A good machine shop can straighten a shaft as good as new.

It could be the reconditioned prop is out of whack and the shaft is ok.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote