Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2019, 19:34   #31

Boat: Carver 356
Re: PLEASE POST YOUR MARINA COST

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yes, you need to narrow that down. Its a bit like asking people all over the world to post what their house costs...without location data its meaningless.
Yep, it's like asking what everybody pays for a hotel room when traveling. Are you talking about the Ritz Carlton in New York City or the Easy Lay motel in Podunk, W.VA.
I keep my boat in the low rent district here in VA and I'm completely floored when I hear what others pay at their marinas. Easily 3,4,5 times or more than I pay.

BTW, I pay about $180/month to slip my 35 footer. Electricity and water included. Decent, nothing fancy clubhouse and we do have a pool.

Also, give us some idea of the size boat you are thinking about. Not all marinas charge by the foot. Many charge by the slip and really don't care what size boat is in it as long as it fits
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 20:14   #32

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Just spent a week in the Moreton Bay Trailer Boat club marina in Manly, Queensland whilst dealing with doctors. Been a while since we'd been in a marina... imagine my surprise at being charged 350 AUD for the week, including a ~50 dollar surcharge for staying aboard. Unmetered power and water, nice ablution facilities, good location, 15 meter berth.

Interesting to note: this was in the older part of the marina, and therein a 15 meter berth's fingers are only a bit over 12 meters long, so one hangs out into the fairway a bit (~ 14 m loa boat). In the newer portion there are 13.5 m berths, and there the fingers are as long as the name implies, so I would have hung out less. But in that part of the marina, no overhangs are allowed. Go figger!

Nice management folks and a number of liveaboards full time, so a pleasant place to visit, but too rich for our blood except for dire circumstances. For the price of a months stay I can buy another big anchor!

Jim
Old 27-08-2019, 21:26   #33

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Hi Jim,
Good holding out the front of Cleveland.
Train station 50m from dinghy pontoon.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 21:27   #34

Boat: Volkscruiser

That was Aussie dollars StuM, what’s the costs like in PNG?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 00:30   #35

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Nz$750 (us$475) per month for 16m berth in brand new very high quality pontoon marina in Christchurch, New Zealand. Water, electricity, WiFi included slow but usable. Another nz$100pm if you want to live aboard, of which there are a small number keeling the place feeling occupied.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 00:56   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
That was Aussie dollars StuM, what’s the costs like in PNG?
Cheers

RPYC, Port Moresby

www.rpyc.com.pg
Visiting yachts K115 per day (USD 33.50) for a berth or K76 (USD22) for a swing/med mooring in "the pond" (inside the breakwater).

Annual berth K11-24,000 (USD 3-7,000) plus power and water.
That's for 9 - 30 m berths. 12 m = K16,000 (USD4,600).
I believe Lae is a bit cheaper.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 01:50   #37

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck34 View Post
Yep, it's like asking what everybody pays for a hotel room when traveling. Are you talking about the Ritz Carlton in New York City or the Easy Lay motel in Podunk, W.VA.
I keep my boat in the low rent district here in VA and I'm completely floored when I hear what others pay at their marinas. Easily 3,4,5 times or more than I pay.

BTW, I pay about $180/month to slip my 35 footer. Electricity and water included. Decent, nothing fancy clubhouse and we do have a pool.

Also, give us some idea of the size boat you are thinking about. Not all marinas charge by the foot. Many charge by the slip and really don't care what size boat is in it as long as it fits

There are some cheaper marinas in VA, at least 4 I know of. 20 years ago, my first marina was Marina Cove Boat Basin near Langley AFB and I paid $60 per month, right now they are at $150 per month. I had a friend who like boating with me and absolutely hated the place, but he also liked to throw money around, so we moved boat to SouthHall Landings, which was $2500 per year around 15 yrs ago electric not free, and the place while looking much nicer and having security was absolutely the worst bug infested, biting flies, squitos, no see ums, I have about ever seen. I only stayed there about a year. If you happened to be there at dusk, you would be killed by the insects, and during the day was not much better. It is a huge sprawling place, very long walks down docks, and my slip was closer to the marshes. The security was worthless, robbers would climb around the gate after dark.

I had a slip next to an old curmudgeon who demanded to know what kind of battery charger I had as if it did not meet his approval it was going to eat up his boat. Claimed people were just using auto chargers, I told him I had a marine charger, but he was quite a piece of work. I am sure by now he's dead of a heart attack or something.
His boat was nospring chicken, a big older sailboat and mine a big older powerboat, and he just could not understand people even wanting to boat with a powerboat as if they are inferior. There are some out there who cant help but tell you how great their boat is compared to the inferior boat you have.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 02:14   #38

Boat: Hanse 430e

About $1300 per month on a month to month lease for a 43' boat. Grand Harbour Marina in Malta. Its $81.00 per night if you just want one night. Year long lease is $8000 or so I have been told.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 06:33   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Bay St Louis! One of my favorite places...pre Katrina anyway...has it fully recovered now?
Pretty much, you can tell all of the developers have forgotten about Katrina. Construction of new homes and condos is going full force. We're going to need another good one in about twenty years to reset everything again and keep the carpetbaggers away!
Old 28-08-2019, 07:08   #40

You'd be better off calling marinas around the area where you intend on keeping the boat and asking a few questions:

1) Do you have slips available (for this time period)?

2) How do you charge? (By the foot or by the slip?)

3) Are slips billed on a per day/week/month/season/yearly basis?

4) Are rates based on size categories?

Sometimes the marinas with the cheapest rates or best amenities have waiting lists.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 07:30   #41

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Pretty much, you can tell all of the developers have forgotten about Katrina. Construction of new homes and condos is going full force. We're going to need another good one in about twenty years to reset everything again and keep the carpetbaggers away! [emoji3]
Yeah, I considered buying property there immediately after Katrina.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 07:46   #42

Boat: Allied 39

$1000 a month for a 45' plus extra for water and electricity.
Papeete City Marina, Tahiti
Old 28-08-2019, 08:55   #43

Boat: Camano 41

Boats on the hook over in the dogpatch pay nothing, get nothing. They have Federal rights to the water that no local government can lay claim or legislate on. However, in the marina I stay at, a 40' slip is $3375 yearly, electricity extra. Restaurant onsite is open seasonally. But you have 2 requirements, Canada, and the west coast.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 08:59   #44

Boat: Caliber 47

Rappahanock River Virginia on middle Chesapeake Bay $3500 a year includes electric....pretty typical in this area....47 ft boat....50 ft slip...smaller slips cost less

Sorry for all the over the top responses here but pretty typical.
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 09:08   #45

Boat: Hunter 46

San Francisco Bay marinas are relatively reasonable. The cost depends whether it is single finger, two finger or side tie berth. The marina I am at charges me ~$12.4 per foot for a two finger berth, including water, plus power. From this marina I can be in the bay in minutes.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease