Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2021, 22:49   #1

Boat: Hunter 28.5
Please Help.. Need a live aboard slip in Charleston, SC ASAP

Hello all,

This is my first post. Sorry it has to be a call for help. I have a Hunter 28.5 that I have been living on for a couple of weeks now at $50 or $60 a day! I have called every marina in the area. Most straight out don't allow liveabords any more. Two have a few designated "liveaboard slips" that have a waiting list that's a year long.

When I bought my boat, I had no idea that it would be this hard to find a slip that allows you to come and go as you please to your own boat. I have met with a few dock masters, treated it as an interview, dressed nice, had nice pics of my boat, but everyone of them asked if the boat would be my primary residence and when I told the truth that was it. End of conversation. (I also want to be upfront and not try and get away with anything)

Even monthly transient rentals have restrictions on how much time they can spend on their boat. I know I could anchor out somewhere but I work third shift (10:00PM to 6:00AM) every week night and would rather not be in a dingy that late at night every night trying to make it through whatever mother nature decides to throw at me.

I would be willing to pay 300 - 500 a month etc. and whatever for electric and can be up to 45 min away. Would also need a place to park truck. Oh and I have one crew member, a cat named Butters. As of right now, it would only be for a total of three or four months, but I would be open for a month to month arrangement. So if anyone could help or has any information on a private \ muni dock or marina, anything in the greater Charleston area with access to the ocean, I would be very, very grateful.
Seadog74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 08:28   #2

Boat: Pearson 424
Re: Please Help.. Need a live aboard slip in Charleston, SC ASAP

I think your best chance in Charleston is to go the transient route renting a slip for a month at one marina then a month at another. I know that safe harbor rents to transients that stay on their boats. Just this morning I was at a customers boat that are here for a few months, they live on their boat. They visit Charleston for 3/4 months each year.
St Johns has transients that stay on their boats as well. I wouldn’t tell them that you’re working full time, that will make them think that you’re looking for long term liveaboard which marinas do not want.
Spindrift NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 15:24   #3

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

You are not going to find much that meets your needs in that price range. Safe Harbor boatyard may let you do it. They are way up the Wando River though and have limited amenities. I stayed there for a few weeks last year. Rate is ~$800 per month.
Old 31-01-2021, 15:57   #4

Thank you for your information. I ended up having to sail/ motor up to Georgetown, SC. It’s little over an hour to work but I get to live on my boat, at least for a little while.
Old 20-03-2021, 17:11   #5

Apologies as a newbie but why is it so hard to find marinas that appreciate live aboards? Ive read a lot of frustration about it. You’d think it would be a favorite for marinas. Free eyes for security, stable income, regular customer for marina shops and restaurants. I dont get it. I hope to transition to a boat in a couple years and then to cruising and back to regular liveaboard for periods of time at various marinas.
Wander4Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 17:55   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wander4Wonder View Post
Apologies as a newbie but why is it so hard to find marinas that appreciate live aboards? Ive read a lot of frustration about it. You’d think it would be a favorite for marinas. Free eyes for security, stable income, regular customer for marina shops and restaurants. I dont get it. I hope to transition to a boat in a couple years and then to cruising and back to regular liveaboard for periods of time at various marinas.
Liveaboards put a greater strain on the facilities: the bathrooms/showers get used more, there's more liability for the marina, and lastly, some liveaboards--myself included--spread out. It's hard not to, especially with children and projects to work on. I've lived aboard at several marinas where working on your finger pier was normal, and everybody gathered at the communal grill for sunset barbecue, everyone had a welcome mat and a boarding ladder; deck chairs, potted plants, umbrellas, boats under construction were all over the place, and nobody turned a hair--but those marinas are getting rare.
Old 20-03-2021, 19:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wander4Wonder View Post
There is another reason... it's not pretty but it has to be mentioned.

Many liveaboards are on the fringes of economic stability. They consider a boat as cheap housing, not an avocation. Liveaboard boats are frequently marginally seaworthy, and rent payments are very much hand-to-mouth. If a liveaboard DOES default on rent, the marina can have many additional layers of legal issues to evict the boat if it is a primary residence. This is why "sneak-aboards" are frequently tolerated (wink-wink). In the event of a problem the marina can kick someone out simply for violating the "no liveaboard" rule.

I lived in marinas for 15 years, and spent the last 5 years as a full time mobile cruiser. I ahve seen a lot of marinas. If I owned a marina, I would much prefer customers who used their boats on the weekend, every weekend, and I rarely saw other times. They tend to be more reliable and keep cleaner boats than owners who ignore the boats, or liveaboards.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 06:48   #8

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Have you checked Cooper River Marina?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 07:35   #9

Boat: Pearson 424

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
There is another reason... it's not pretty but it has to be mentioned.

Many liveaboards are on the fringes of economic stability. They consider a boat as cheap housing, not an avocation. Liveaboard boats are frequently marginally seaworthy, and rent payments are very much hand-to-mouth. If a liveaboard DOES default on rent, the marina can have many additional layers of legal issues to evict the boat if it is a primary residence. This is why "sneak-aboards" are frequently tolerated (wink-wink). In the event of a problem the marina can kick someone out simply for violating the "no liveaboard" rule.

I lived in marinas for 15 years, and spent the last 5 years as a full time mobile cruiser. I ahve seen a lot of marinas. If I owned a marina, I would much prefer customers who used their boats on the weekend, every weekend, and I rarely saw other times. They tend to be more reliable and keep cleaner boats than owners who ignore the boats, or liveaboards.
Of course these are generalizations with some truth to them but not for all livaboards. My wife and I have been living at the same marina for over 5 years. If you walked by my boat you would never know we’re livaboards, our boat is well maintained with zero clutter on deck, I’ve never been late with a slip payment and maintain comprehensive insurance coverage. The marina managers like having us there as we keep an eye on the boats around us, most are owners that rarely visit their boats, have little upkeep as they’re washed a couple times each year.
So I guess I’d never have a chance getting into a marina that you owned.
Spindrift NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 07:57   #10

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

I agree that many liveaboards are borderline destitute and that ruins it for the rest who want to be legit.

There is a simple solution to this: monthly walk bys from marina staff and quarterly inspection including proof of ability that the boat can move.
Old 22-03-2021, 23:10   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Have you checked Cooper River Marina?

Yes, Cooper River is no different than the rest. It has a set number of live aboard slips and a “waiting list” to get one. The dock master offered to let me stay for a month (transient rate) till I found another place to dock. Thankfully I did but like I mentioned in my original post it’s in Georgetown, an hour and a half away. (I actually thought Dolphin Cove would have been my best bet but they are also prohibiting new live aboards)

By the way, I am not a piece of drift wood. (Although now that I have been on the water for a couple of months now, I have met a few of them and I can understand what marinas are trying to avoid) I have a great job and make a decent salary so I could sign a year long lease at 1,000.00 plus a month to live in a box like everyone else no problem. But why do that if sailing is your thing and the ocean is right in front of you?

Point is, I have worked very hard to make this dream of mine come true so I am not going to let a collective live aboard phase out by local marinas stand in my way. I am trying to make this work because I have always wanted to live on a sailboat and love everything about sailing.

Now that the weather is getting warmer, I guess I will try anchoring out. It’s going to be a pain rowing to shore at 9 at night in bad weather but at least it will be warm and I will be closer to work. Will have to ditch stuff like TV and fridge but that’s ok. Boat sails better without it. Let me know if you hear of anything becoming available. Thanks.
Old 23-03-2021, 06:48   #12

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

You could try doing weekly rate and stay at Charleston Maritime Center and/or Cooper River during the week and anchoring on the weekends.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 20:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
I agree that many liveaboards are borderline destitute and that ruins it for the rest who want to be legit.

There is a simple solution to this: monthly walk bys from marina staff and quarterly inspection including proof of ability that the boat can move.
Agreed. Could be like an HOA in a subdivision where if your grass is too tall, they start levying fines. In this case there would be a limit to the number of barnacles that are growing on the bottom of your boat. Gosh, would this then apply to folks that kept boats there but did not live on them? They would have to start levying fines on more than half of the boats that are kept in most marinas.

Tags
asa, lease