Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2020, 10:59   #16

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Please check my choice of trolling gear spec.

Thanks to all. And no, no local shop here.

As a matter of fact on Amazon in Germany everything is geared for much smaller fish.

150lbs stainless leader does not show up. They are all 30lbs max...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Do you not have a local bait and tackle shop? If you do ask there.
Old 20-09-2020, 11:01   #17

Great link. I'll get my stuff from there. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
No, 300lb is not overkill for yo-yo trolling. I had 100lb mono and it broke constantly with any decent size fish. I moved up to 300.

Yes, you use a steel or monel leader b/c of teeth. Not being a fisherman, you should probably buy lures that are already rigged with wire leaders, though you can get away with non-wire rigged lures too.

https://m.tackledirect.com/c-and-h-l...lyhoo-rig.html

https://m.tackledirect.com/boone-dolphin-rigs.html
Old 20-09-2020, 11:43   #18
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I didn't comment on lures of line weight because it varies with where your are and what you are catching. I carry extra yo yos rigged with different weights and lures.

No, 300 pounds is not overkill for larger game fish. But 100 pounds will catch quite a lot. When you get the fish closer to the boat, remember that your arms is the spring, and if you don't give a little, any fish can tear the hook out. Also, longer lines are less prone to breaking on the strike because they stretch more.

Generally, I have to reduce canvas quite a bit to slow down to 5 knots--I didn't understand the mono comment. If a multihull is that slow there is something wrong.

The best speed depends on what you are fishing for. Faster for tuna, mackerel, and bluefish, slower for stripped bass. And even then, vary it a bit; it changes with water temperature and weather. I've caught blues at 4 knots and striped bass at 8-9. It varies.

Don't take any one piece of advice, because they are probably ALL right at some place and at some time. The distance from the boat, speed, depth, lure type and size, and direction relative to waves all play a part.

Fish can pull off the hook for many reasons:
  • Did not bite the hook properly. Perhaps something warned them off at the last spot second. Often this happens multiple times in a row. Change lures or change speed.
  • Careless handling near the boat allowed them to get slack. Your arms to keep the slack out. That is the main function of a trolling rod.
  • Don't stop the boat. Likewise, the problem is slack. Just slow down. It is more work, but you will loose fewer fish.
  • Line too strong. Means no stretch, means slack.
  • Dull hooks. Needle sharp. Replace or sharpen when dulled even a little.
Expect big fish to be some work. You have to keep tension, so that means a long pull.
Old 20-09-2020, 14:39   #19

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I would not use braid. You need heavy mono. Braid will rip the hooks out of any fish and cut your hands. Also, long wire traces if you must use wire. Personally I have had success with string-trimmer cord. Resists biting and abrasion, fairly cheap, and strong. Works OK with crimps, and another thing--where the trace meets the main line, fair the knot using a bit of Araldite or silicone rubber so that it slips through the water without cavitation if possible. For some reason that knot or 2 or 3 tandem crimps, is a noise making distraction.

Also, I use a rattler to attract fish. I have a plastic round white milk bottle containing some plastic balls--about three of them around 20 mm diameter. I have a bit of a loop on each end and I tow it bottom first so that it bounces and jiggles about. Fish hear it for a great distance and come to see what gives.

THEN with luck they find your Rapala or Yo Zuri lure. I have found the Yo Zuri Crystal Minnow works OK, and almost any Rapala. Some lures work better at different speeds--and three knots seems to be a good speed for some lures--others need to be MUCH faster than that. I think, but I may stand correction here, that the flasher types of spoons and glittery wedges need to be towed around ten knots, and work best with Mackerel or Blue Fish. They seem to be more easily excited by flashes and movement.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 01:50   #20

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Fran, don’t forget you have to get the beast out of the water. So get some nets and a good hook with long handle. Also get some good gloves. Fish can be wild as hell until subdued. Don’t get yourself injured offshore. Also make sure you have good pliers to defang the hook with. Several good fillet knives and a way to sharpen them. Have fun. You need some good recipes for sushi
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 03:24   #21

You guys are great. Thank you.

Got one more question, is there a good offline Android app which helps you step by step to quickly find out what you actually landed?
I know what a Tuna or a Mahi Mahi or Shark look like, but other than that I am a real greenhorn when it comes to fishing the big fish.

Yes, Sushi and Ceviche and Bouillabaisse :-)

We'll also be installing a freezer in the upcoming refit.

Right now we are landlocked so, there is time to at least mentally preparing for the great times ahead (if hopefully every gets healthy through the winter).
Old 23-09-2020, 11:16   #22

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

i found this helpful for me a newbie that cant seem to catch fish in lakes or rivers. Handline fishing for dummies?

Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 13:12   #23

Great info, thank you. I love the Nahoa Team as well. Great couple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
i found this helpful for me a newbie that cant seem to catch fish in lakes or rivers. Handline fishing for dummies?

Old 23-09-2020, 13:44   #24

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

Good video. They have a lot more room on a cat than a monohull. I have a walk through transom. We flip the seat up and leave the lifelines clipped to land a fish. I keep gloves and a gaff ready. I have loops hanging from the transom pulpit to hang fish for bleeding. If your new to fishing it is best just to put out two lines and only work one at a time.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 14:01   #25

Short stiff rod and big reel (or a handline)
60-100 lb test.
SS leader so the barracuda wont take all your gear.
Weighted Rubber Squid (yellow/green/blue/white are all good colors. Two colors on each squid) with very big single hook.(#8-0 or bigger) ~2" shank and maybe 1.25-1.5" across the hook.

Gaff hook to get it on the boat.

A large silver spoon is good for fishing from the dingy for Sierra and Albacore/tunny sometimes. Maybe 3-4" spoon. Troll around headlands outside the anchorage.

I lost more fish with a double or triple hook for some reason. Also, they kill the ones you catch that you dont want to keep.

I got more fish with the rod than the handline, probably because you hear the drag when a fish hits. Otherwise, you may retrieve the head only!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	patmahi2.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	457.5 KB
ID:	224044  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear, lease