Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2017, 16:07   #1

Boat: Colvic Watson motorsailor 35
Planar heaters russian eberspacier

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with Planer blown air heaters they seem to be a Russian eberspacier but a lot cheaper and more robust
chrisjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 17:02   #2

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Planar heaters russian eberspacier

I have one. For 1/3 the price of the more well-known brands, I think it's great.

Do a search; it's been talked about here before. I recommend using the fuel tank they send with it rather than tapping your existing fuel line. Simpler installation, and it gives you the option to run kerosene instead of diesel, at least during the times you're not using it as much. That's supposed to keep it cleaner. And with parts having to come from Russia, that's a consideration.

You could also buy two, at 2/3 the price of one of another brand, and use the second one for spare parts.

My only issue (posted here before) is that the exhaust flex pipe gets extremely hot. It should be short, not come near any fiberglass or wood, and be well insulated - I used a material sold for race car exhaust manifolds.

If you go that route, feel free to ask for details; some of the written material wasn't well translated.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:36   #3

Thanks for the reply I have a Reflek heater which I use when its really cold brilliant and economical but have trouble moving heat around even with fans but the planar looked good for autumn and spring time.I have had ebers before but seem really tempremental and mega expensive.I will make sure the exhaust is well insulated but I will install the heater in the engine room where I have plenty off space.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:53   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Chris.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:23   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjackson View Post
... the planar looked good for autumn and spring time...
Good point. I would not recommend buying one of these as your primary heat source for a New England winter. Not that it won't work, but based on parts availability I'd want something with a reputation for being dead-simple and reliable.

Or, you can buy three, install two and keep one for a spare, all for the same price as one similar "name brand" unit. If one fails you just keep the other heater going until you can replace the failed one.

Nothing worse than being awakened in the middle of the night to find you have no heat, and it's dark, snowing and below zero (F) outside.

These heaters might actually be a little over-kill for spring and fall, but I prefer to run mine on a low setting anyway, to keep the noise and exhaust temps down.

One more point about buying a "no name" product: These are made, and extensively used, in Russia. If there's one thing Russians know about, it's cold!
Old 03-09-2017, 06:24   #6

Boat: athena 38

we bought a planar last year (4KW diesel) and it Works fine.

In the beginning of this season we had some smoke from it. We let it run for half an hour on gasoline and now it is clean Again. I got the advice from a guy who service Eberspächer.
usamink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:47   #7

I think with all blown air heaters they need to be given a run at full temp through the summer as well every few weeks . Another tip is to turn it up high for a couple of mins before switching off . Only time will tell but if its OK for Russian winters it should be OK for damp SW UK
Old 03-09-2017, 08:56   #8

Boat: Cal-40

I bought the Webasto brand. Yes, it's much more expensive then the Russian one but I would rather not feel the need to carry around a complete extra parts unit and know it will be needed on a cold day just to save a few dollars. One Toyota is better then three Yugo's. I hope the sailors who believe it's better to buy the bottom line and carry extra are not thinking like this in reguards to more critical equipment on their vessels
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:07   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian Sea View Post
I bought the Webasto brand. Yes, it's much more expensive then the Russian one but I would rather not feel the need to carry around a complete extra parts unit and know it will be needed on a cold day just to save a few dollars. One Toyota is better then three Yugo's. I hope the sailors who believe it's better to buy the bottom line and carry extra are not thinking like this in reguards to more critical equipment on their vessels
Well, I carry a box of parts and a complete spare unit for my genuine German-made Eberspacher, which breaks down on a regular basis.

I've never used one, so I can't say anything for or against the Planar heaters, but I once owned a Russian car, a long time ago, which was crude, but extremely rugged and extremely reliable, more reliable than the new BMW X5 which replaced it. So I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about the Planar heaters, if you haven't actually used one. The Russians beat the Germans in World War II using crude but extremely rugged and reliable equipment. These Planar heaters might be carp for all I know, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are actually very good.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:27   #10

Ten years ago I installed a Webasto Air Top 2000 in my commercial fishing boat located in Alaska. I hate to be cold so that thing runs 24/7 during the salmon and crab seasons. In ten years I've only needed to replace one burner (125.00) dollars eBay and last year the small electric fuel pump. I can get a complete new kit from any semi truck dealer like Kenworth or Freightliner for less then 1000 dollars. So as for now it's averaged 100 dollars per year value and still running strong. No extra parts need be carried.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:35   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Ten years ago I installed a Webasto Air Top 2000 in my commercial fishing boat located in Alaska. I hate to be cold so that thing runs 24/7 during the salmon and crab seasons. In ten years I've only needed to replace one burner (125.00) dollars eBay and last year the small electric fuel pump. I can get a complete new kit from any semi truck dealer like Kenworth or Freightliner for less then 1000 dollars. So as for now it's averaged 100 dollars per year value and still running strong. No extra parts need be carried.
Congrats on your good luck and I wish you a long continuation of it.

But "no extra parts need be carried" right up until it breaks on you far offshore, no? I have not seen any evidence that any particular make of this type of heater is more reliable than any other make. The design is inherently complex and, it seems to me, somewhat failure prone.

For higher reliability and complete field-servicibility, I think you would have to go to a pot heater (isn't that much more common on Alaska fishing boats?).

I am hoping to be exploring Arctic waters in a few years, and like you, I HATE to be cold. I will have two separate hydronic heaters (probably Eberspacher or Webasto, despite my misgivings) to provide some redundancy, plus heat recovery from main engine and genset.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:49   #12

Boat: Marine Trader DC 34
Send a message via Skype™ to usalasse

I have had one since 2013. I live onboard and use the heater frequently. No problem so far. Spareparts available in the US.
usalasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:59   #13

I also have a diesel stove made by Dickinson. Almost every fishing vessel has one for heat and cooking. The day tank supply for the stove is kept full from the engine return fuel line. The stove uses no electric power as its gravity feed from supply tank to stove. It's perhaps the most reliable option other then solid fuel like coal or wood. The Webasto is nice because I located it to direct the hot air down in the sleeping area. Keeps things warm and dry.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:10   #14

Quote:
No argument, if you feel better spending your money on one brand over another, you should do so.

But I don't think we're comparing Toyotas and Yugos here. There are millions of these things in use in Russian, Ukrainian and European trucks. I'm pretty sure they work as well as the competition. As I said, Russians know how to deal with cold!

My point was, if you're worried about parts availability, you can buy another whole unit - or two - for spares.

If the price difference was small, or the quality difference significant, I'd go with the better unit. But at 3 times the price I'd want to be sure what I'm getting is really 300% better.

I have no problem "carrying around" spare parts for most equipment on board. I'm more inclined to feel reassured that I have the parts, tools and skills to fix things that break, be they critical or just convenient. I also tend to go places where there isn't always a marine mechanic handy.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:45   #15

I THINK YOU BUY ACCORDING TO YOUR POCKET,AT LEAST I DO.
robertsquire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Russia