Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2019, 10:53   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Re: Plan? No Plan? A plan written on beach sand?

Plan
Project
Execute

Snafu
Fubar
Tarfu
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:02   #47

Boat: 1983 Nauticat 43, Hull 16

The plan: Get off of the dock, point boat north, come back to dock sometime in the future. That's about all I can foresee at this time.
dkroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:13   #48

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkroar View Post
The plan: Get off of the dock, point boat north, come back to dock sometime in the future. That's about all I can foresee at this time.
Sounds like a sound plan for Alaska with its year round benign climate
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:24   #49

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

We don't NEED to have a plan but some generalized idea of where we want to go and how we are going to get there is what I need to feel whole. We (I) am still working so I have the need to both travel and be someplace I can reasonably expect that I can work or fly out of. I'm looking forward to the day that I can stop that nonsense and we can enjoy our cruise at whatever pace we choose to set.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:29   #50

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeys Kitchen View Post
We made a 'plan' when we went to Alaska for the winter 2 years ago. Stopping at all the 'right' places and then a lot of motoring to get to the next place on the plan. It was ok, and we did see a lot of really cool, interesting places and things; but we did try to squeeze in as much as we could and did not leave time to just stop and hang out if we wanted to.

This year our plan is to 'sail where the wind takes us'. Not really caring where we end up for the night, but with just a general overall view of where we will go for the season. We'll see how that works out.
We’ve ended up alternating between these styles, depending on the season and ‘the plan.’

There have been a few seasons where we’ve decided to go somewhere, do something. In these cases we’ve decided to travel longer distances, and don’t spend as much time lingering. But most seasons, when we have no where in particular to go, we simply go where the wind blows us.

I prefer the latter, but sometimes we just gotta get somewhere. Even so, I take as much time as possible to do the route. As our motto goes: Why go fast, when you can go slow.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:41   #51
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I am a Planner.!
Non stop, when others sleep, I plan, I reorganise and reevaluate my priorities in all parts of my life.

Have been doing it with the Franklin Planner since June 1986 and my bookcase full of annual Franklin Binders made a wonderful bonfire when I decided to move back on board fulltime! [emoji4]

http://www.mytimemanagement.com/franklin-covey.html
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:52   #52

Hey Mike,
Your young so flexibility is on your side, actually sailing as you are builds lots of experience and therefore confidence. Your in a position now to pretty much pull of any plan that makes sense you and your bride. Of course I also like riding motor bikes as you guys do, you’ve got the best of both worlds going for you.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:55   #53
CLOD

Boat: none

if it isn't written down I don't feel you can call it a "plan"

it's just a thought/idea
Old 07-05-2019, 13:00   #54

Boat: Beneteau 473, 47ft

Such a great threat,

In our case, we like to have goals (as in a general plan) and then make changes accordingly to achieve them. We gave ourselves 4-5 years to save for a nice liveaboard sailboat, and all the sudden, within 2 year we came across a great deal, so it was easy for us to 'adjust' the plan.

Now, the general plan is to keep working and beefing/upgrading the boat over the next 4-5 years to then go cruising for a while. We'll start with 1-2 years, and the question is whether we want to head east (Mediterranean) or south (Caribbean). I suppose that's a nice conundrum to have.

An important thing for us is to make sure we don't plan for 'the future', as in save until retirement, and forgetting about enjoying the time we have until then. Sure we are still young, but I'm tired of seeing friends and family getting sick sooner than they planned to. It is much more difficult to adapt to those changes... spending 3 weeks in Maine this summer will help me feel like I'm not just 'waiting for the dream to come true'!

Great threat, and I hope all your plans come true!

Ivan
S/V Balu
Ivanvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 13:15   #55

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Hey Mike,
Your young so flexibility is on your side, actually sailing as you are builds lots of experience and therefore confidence. Your in a position now to pretty much pull of any plan that makes sense you and your bride. Of course I also like riding motor bikes as you guys do, you’ve got the best of both worlds going for you.
Thanks Robert. I do feel pretty flexible — I would say free — in this life of ours. We are relatively young (is 51 still young?). With no children, no debts, sufficient savings and income, and a good old boat that will take us anywhere, I feel pretty free.

As I often tell people, we have no where in particular to go, and all the time in the world to get there.

Pelagic, funny you should mention the Franklin Planner system. I have a friend who is a long-time disciple of it. He tried to show me its worth. As you can tell, I never took to it .
Old 07-05-2019, 13:55   #56

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Mike, I'm sure you do some planning. You might just think of it as "taking care of *it*". But from the trip to do provisioning, there's a list; the store of spares wants looking over and possibly refreshing (just how many out of date flares do you carry?), or, making that trip to Labrador actually happen. When you get it that closer to home is easier for one's old age, then you'll have a push to go farther afield. I'm told the islands north of Scotland are very friendly, for example.

As to Jim's jump, in the story, someone was chasing him....I don't recall the details.

Ann
Old 07-05-2019, 14:18   #57

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
People often come to cruising with a plan to sail around the world, or to visit all the “must-see” sights of an area. Some have plans and schedules and goals and objectives. Many make detailed financial plans and budgets. They plan for retirement, for healthcare, for the end of cruising.

Obviously we all make plans. I’m not suggesting it’s wrong or anything. Clearly some level of planning is always necessary. It’s just that I don’t tend to plan a lot. Or rather, the plans I make tend to be written in sand.

Just curious how others approach this.
Is that "written in the sand" at low tide?
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 14:18   #58
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
]

Pelagic, funny you should mention the Franklin Planner system. I have a friend who is a long-time disciple of it. He tried to show me its worth. As you can tell, I never took to it .
When working as an Owner's Rep.in the design, build operation of super yachts it was an invaluable tool to keep up with organizing the myriad of details and time commitments of subcontractors, to protect the Chairman, all while constantly traveling.

It allowed me to relax and take personal time on non essential, but important matters, rather than get into crisis management and worry if I've forgotten anything.

Now retired, I don't buy the journals anymore, but the basic disciplines of the " Compass and the Clock " are ingrained as a mindset on how I organize my days.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190508-045943.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	191639
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 14:37   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have goals not plans for destinations. I started with a goal of seeing the South Pacific, I may make it, or maybe not. I’d like to, but it’s apparent the better half won’t make the crossing with me, or maybe said a better way, maybe it’s best I take crew or a pro delivery Capt with me

Finances is where in my opinion you need a plan
I somewhat frequently hear “my spouse won’t make that passage” and I have the same issue. Perhaps we should have a sub forum or group or something where folks with this problem could post their plan to see if there is another captain who would crew.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 15:05   #60

[QUOTE=a64pilot;2883814]I have goals not plans for destinations. I started with a goal of seeing the South Pacific, I may make it, or maybe not. I’d like to, but it’s apparent the better half won’t make the crossing with me, or maybe said a better way, maybe it’s best I take crew or a pro delivery Capt with me

Finances is where in my opinion you need a plan[/QUOTE

OK I’ll share something with you. I’ve made lots of ocean passages, something over 50,000 miles now BUT I do not like passage making. If I had options your wife has I’d do exactly what she’s doing. My ego is too big to not do the trips or hire a delivery skipper or put it on a ship, just not in me so I do the passages but that’s not my first choice I will say I do really like the last 2 or so days prior to making landfall, new places I’ve never been, dreaming about hamburgers and fries and all the new places and cultures I’ve never seen, I really do like that part of it. After a sleep of the dead I look forward to doing lots of local sailing and visiting islands in the area, I really enjoy that to but I understand people not liking the crossings. I think 30 years ago I sorta liked them but not anymore. Grab a couple of buddies and do your crossing, you’ll all enjoy yourselves. After your bride has done more sailing she might slowly change her mind and do short passages with you, say 3 or 4 days and after that who knows but lack of sleep and constant motion isn’t for everyone. Your in the Caribbean now and it’s pretty easy sailing here, you just might be like 95% of other sailors and never go anywhere else, not exactly a bad thing.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote