Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2019, 11:13   #121

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Places Where You Can Retire on $200,000 and Feel Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
But you have other income sources right?

The poorly thought out article just plops down $200K and nothing else.
Yes, very true. We live on a modest pension, even modester (new word?) investments, and a small bit of earned income. Ironically, we’ll actually get richer as we get older.
Old 17-06-2019, 11:13   #122

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Wealth is a state of mind, not a bank account..

There are many with little who consider themselves wealthy, and many with millions and its never enough.

Greed is what makes the difference.
There are certainly more factors than money to happiness. I know Americans pulling down large incomes who are miserable and Central Americans getting by on the equiv of a few hundred US$/month who are very happy people. The later are very connected to their family & village. The former are often disassociated from almost eveyone...even estranged from their family.

Money cant buy happiness, but it can help solve the simple problems in life.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 11:14   #123
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Places Where You Can Retire on $200,000 and Feel Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
You mean the USA, Canada is different, I would add the BC Gulf Islands to the list buy a cheap mooring and travel about anchoring out for free.......it's great 8 months of the year, if you stay you have to hunker down for the other 4.....many just travel to some place warm......
To far North for my taste, hell wont even go there to visit family.. same goes for Alaska..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 11:23   #124

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yes, very true. We live on a modest pension, even modester (new word?) investments, and a small bit of earned income. Ironically, we’ll actually get richer as we get older.
It aint what you make, its what you spend! [emoji16]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 11:23   #125

Retirement reality is it costs whatever you have available to spend. Tricky part is timing...there is a really cool calculator tool called "Rich, Broke, or Dead" that really puts things into perspective.

You put your numbers in and it tells you the odds of success, also the odds you'll be pushing up daisies based on general actuarial tables. It is a stark reminder that when you get to about 55 you are playing on house money and better get busy enjoying life.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 11:40   #126

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
You like Vietnam better than Australia?
Better than?
Not necessarily , but we seriously love Vietnamese food and spent a lot of time in australia traveling far and wide trying to find a decent restaurant whereas in vietnam, it was everywhere, on the street and cheap.
The culture, value for money, sights are a big attraction , cheap medical if needed plus being able to jump on a plane and visit Laos, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia in an hour or two cheaply is appealing.
I have several friends that live in Saigon, Nha trang, Hoi An, Vung Tau and Danang and they have been living there well on less money than we would have for around 20 years now.

But, we can't get the boat in so for now, its Australian waters and working towards getting into Indo/Malay/Thai waters and enjoying a far more affordable lifestyle there with occasional flights into Danang.
Quote:
As to the thread....Unfortunately, $200k won't go too far in Oz from what little i've experienced
You can survive in Australia vs actually living in South East Asia
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 12:59   #127

Boat: 30' Silver Streak Cuddy (on the hunt for a catamaran)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Windrush II View Post
Come to the Philippines, food is cheap, beautiful anchorages, hook up to a mooring for about $200 per month or less, or just hang out for free on the hook. Puerto Princesa Palawan is a great place with great food and good moorage for about $100 per month and rarely Typhoons, but some hiding holes if necessary. Don't listen to negative from people who don't live here. There are good and bad places in every country, but Filipinos are very friendly to foreigners and hospitable.

There is also a marina that will be built soon in Lobo Batangas. It will be the largest full service marina in SE Asia. American designed.

+1! I have spent a lot of time in Palawan. It is on my short list to live when i retire.
Waterdog247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 13:52   #128

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
DR is one of the most dangerous places to drive in the world. Apart from that I would agree as No2. After retiring from yaching I have lived in Spain for many years and it has just about the right balance for the cost of food, drink, cost of living and eating out. The summer is guaranteed and a mild winter and it is not a third world country, in fact, today it is one of Europes top places to live.
I believe it is THE most dangerous place if you're riding on a motorcycle, which is the main form of transportation.

The big modern gas stations in the DR have bars inside of them that are packed on the weekends. Gives a whole new spin on the phrase "drinking and driving."

Someone mentioned that the roads are a mess. They had torrential rain a few years ago that washed out a lot of the roads. Most of them have been repaired from what I can see and what I've heard. That said, there are still a fair number of "rough patches."
Old 17-06-2019, 15:54   #129
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Ironically, we’ll actually get richer as we get older.

Assuming your Retired. If the most likely outcome doesn’t have your wealth increasing, it’s likely you’ll run out of money in your old age
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 16:01   #130

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Assuming your Retired. If the most likely outcome doesn’t have your wealth increasing, it’s likely you’ll run out of money in your old age
That seems a rather binary perspective A6. I suspect there’s a lot of grey in there — just like the rest of life.
Old 17-06-2019, 16:08   #131

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
That seems a rather binary perspective A6. I suspect there’s a lot of grey in there — just like the rest of life.
Massive amounts of grey. We make assumptions made on the past. Currently monetary policy is changing rapidly, tools like QE and negative interest rates that were termed "unconventional" by the likes of Benanke are now be called " conventional by "Powell". And lets not even talk about unfunded liabilities like pension funds.

Im not sure how anyone can be certain of their retirement plans turning out exactly the way they planned.

What will 200k be worth (purchasing power) in 10 years time?
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 16:09   #132

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I would add The DR to that list. The travel advisories are a bit overblown. In the DR 2.7 million Americans visit as tourists each year and this year a few if them have died from apparently drinking from minibars at a couple or resorts. Not exactly a scourge of violence.

DR is getting slammed in the press right now. I think there may be something to this rash of deaths. I know it sounds impossible but wow.
Old 17-06-2019, 17:22   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Better than?
Not necessarily , but we seriously love Vietnamese food and spent a lot of time in australia traveling far and wide trying to find a decent restaurant whereas in vietnam, it was everywhere, on the street and cheap.
The culture, value for money, sights are a big attraction , cheap medical if needed plus being able to jump on a plane and visit Laos, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia in an hour or two cheaply is appealing.
I have several friends that live in Saigon, Nha trang, Hoi An, Vung Tau and Danang and they have been living there well on less money than we would have for around 20 years now.

But, we can't get the boat in so for now, its Australian waters and working towards getting into Indo/Malay/Thai waters and enjoying a far more affordable lifestyle there with occasional flights into Danang.

You can survive in Australia vs actually living in South East Asia
I totally agree about the food...I never had a bad meal in VN. Some of the best street food I've had anywhere and decent CHEAP beer to wash it down with.

The country is beautiful, safe and the people are generally friendly....more so in the south than the north. I've never felt unsafe in VN and have never heard of kidnapping or murder of tourists....unlike the PI. Food is way better than in the PI as well now that I think about it.

Real estate can be pricey to own but reasonable to rent. Most things are quite cheap....golf is a bit expensive but the courses I've been to are beautiful and caddies are provided.

I'm not sure a foreigner can own a car and I think motorbikes are limited to 150ccs.

In addition to the places you have been, I've been to Hanoi and Halong Bay....Halong is amazingly beautiful. Our favorite place to hang is Nha Trang, though the last time I was there a few years ago I saw A LOT of signage in Russian. Lots of bright white sunburned bods too.

Medical and dental is good, but I'm not sure a serious issue like a heart attack could be dealt with outside of HCMC and Hanoi.

All in all VN is a great place...I really enjoyed the years I spent there.

As to OZ....holy crap! Last I was there a couple of years ago we spent a bloody FORTUNE! .....glad I'm not looking to buy a home in Sydney....geez.

My best friend there is selling his 2 custom beachside homes in Coffs Harbour and relocating up to a nice high rise condo in Runaway Bay. He is REALLY encouraging me to come down and have a look. So what if I need to bring a couple of million USD with me to live as I do now.
Old 17-06-2019, 17:30   #134

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
DR is getting slammed in the press right now. I think there may be something to this rash of deaths. I know it sounds impossible but wow.
Current suspect is bad liquor (bootleg/fake/etc).

A bunch of JB Parrotheads also reported sickness recently from a trip to the DR.

I hope we find out.
Old 17-06-2019, 17:33   #135
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Places Where You Can Retire on $200,000 and Feel Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
Very likely the ice they put in their drinks.. folk are paranoid about the water ther drink but it seems ice never gets a second thought..
Main source of Bombay Belly..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote