Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2019, 09:23   #106

Re: Places Where You Can Retire on $200,000 and Feel Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
No.. Thats pennies in the bank and an odd job now and then.. without the $200K..
Stop with the mushroom tea already..
If it's "pennies", it won't have any impact. You will still run out of money very quickly.

If it's actually, $10-20k/yr, go back and look at my prior post showing how much $2800/month is worth in net present value. Even $10k in annual income is equivalent to significantly more than $200k.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 09:27   #107
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Places Where You Can Retire on $200,000 and Feel Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
If it's "pennies", it won't have any impact. You will still run out of money very quickly.

If it's actually, $10-20k/yr, go back and look at my prior post showing how much $2800/month is worth in net present value. Even $10k in annual income is equivalent to significantly more than $200k.
$10K.. I wish.. but hey been managing just fine since I hit 65.. in fact better than when I was younger..
Location, location, location..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 09:37   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Not to get too far off on this, but this effect is why extreme wealth disparity is so pernicious and dangerous. Extreme wealth concentration raises the necessity level for everyone. It’s the old “keeping up with the Jones” phenomena that we are all susceptible to.
I'm not seeing the link. Most people aren't keeping up with the Billionaire "Jones".

They are keeping up with the people they hang out with. So if everyone is living in poverty except for a tiny percentage they have no thought of ever keeping up with...it doesn't change their perception of what is normal.

Most of the wealth disparity issue, we see today is the media playing class war games telling people they are so poor because others have done well rather than telling them to do better.
Old 17-06-2019, 09:41   #109

Quote:
$10K.. I wish.. but hey been managing just fine since I hit 65.. in fact better than when I was younger..
Location, location, location..
Based on this and some of your other comments in other threads, you chose a location where you are OK living like the locals.

Nothing wrong with that. In fact it's great if you can put a good match together.

Where I take exception is they leave that part out of these articles. People get excited about living like a king on $5/day and then get disappointed with what it really means to live on $5/day.
Old 17-06-2019, 09:46   #110
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
No.. Thats pennies in the bank and an odd job now and then.. without the $200K.
People that are citizens of more civilized countries with good guarantees of a decent retirement income

and socialized medical care even when living overseas,

do not need any large "nest egg", except for their boat repairs or upgrades.

is what I believe he meant.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 09:49   #111
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Based on this and some of your other comments in other threads, you chose a location where you are OK living like the locals.

Nothing wrong with that. In fact it's great if you can put a good match together.

Where I take exception is they leave that part out of these articles. People get excited about living like a king on $5/day and then get disappointed with what it really means to live on $5/day.
Bit more than $5/day.. That will only buy me a Chinese takeaway of Singapore noodles and beef in black pepper sauces, or shrimp with veg..
Beer is another $3 for a 6 pack.. then theres my tobacco so.. $10/days more accurate plus petrol for the bike..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 17-06-2019, 09:54   #112
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:

Living on $5 a day is not "like a king" anywhere I know of, even amongst the loveliest subsistence farming villages where you need to draw and carry your water from the community well.

$20 a day is more realistic, but that is not a pleasant existence for most first-worlders, if your requirements include alcohol or city life.

Your larger point is however wise, what most USians consider "essential" to their lifestyle-happiness, is often much **more** expensive in later-developed countries than it would be say living in a small town on the gulf coast.

Personally I would greatly prefer experiencing another more radically different language / culture / zeitgeist,

for example I lived for over a decade in Australia, but now it would bore me, too similar to the US,

but as you say, not everyone's the same.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 09:55   #113

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:

PS: If you move to many rural American locations, you can live pretty cheap to if you live a 3rd world lifestyle.
The problems I see with moving to rural America are manifold, with all to prevalent substance abuse and addiction problems, very poor transportation options (owning and driving cars is expensive), the atomization of American families and our ever increasing political polarization.

I "moved" to rural America 15 years ago after my divorce - I got our summer place in the settlement. I really don't look forward to the times I have to return to the States, I feel way more isolated there as compared to my good life with the local boating community and all the locals I have met and am becoming friends with.

A lot of that isolation has to do with the need to drive anywhere and everywhere in much of the US. Here in Mexico I can walk, hop on a really cheap urban bus, or uber/taxi (also cheap) if I have a longer distance to go and am shopping for bigger items.
I enjoy a beer or two with some lunches (if I'm not working on boat projects) and wine with dinner. In the States, I'm paranoid about DUIs. Here, some of my dates will even drive drinking a beer. Surprisingly few auto accidents in this urban (La Paz) area.
Ice tea is fine with lunch, but who wants that or worse, a soft drink, with dinner?
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 10:00   #114

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
I'm not seeing the link. Most people aren't keeping up with the Billionaire "Jones".

They are keeping up with the people they hang out with. So if everyone is living in poverty except for a tiny percentage they have no thought of ever keeping up with...it doesn't change their perception of what is normal.

Most of the wealth disparity issue, we see today is the media playing class war games telling people they are so poor because others have done well rather than telling them to do better.
This is not what the mountains of sociological and political science research shows. You don’t think the homeless guy can’t see the wealth walking past (or over) him? Even if one doesn’t live in a rich, gated community, you can still see over the fence (metaphorically and literally speaking).

There really is a lot of good research on this subject and the effect. Happy to link you to some of it if you’re interested.
Old 17-06-2019, 10:25   #115
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dont move to France.. Its expensive and..
https://twitter.com/mhm368/status/11...130547201?s=09

Old 17-06-2019, 10:28   #116

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
I feel that way about the N American continent..
You mean the USA, Canada is different, I would add the BC Gulf Islands to the list buy a cheap mooring and travel about anchoring out for free.......it's great 8 months of the year, if you stay you have to hunker down for the other 4.....many just travel to some place warm......
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 10:30   #117

Quote:
This is not what the mountains of sociological and political science research shows. You don’t think the homeless guy can’t see the wealth walking past (or over) him? Even if one doesn’t live in a rich, gated community, you can still see over the fence (metaphorically and literally speaking).

There really is a lot of good research on this subject and the effect. Happy to link you to some of it if you’re interested.
Other than on news stories telling me I should be outraged...I don't see a lot of billionaires walking by.

The homeless guy is not typically the result of "wealth disparity". At least not as it's defined in class warfare articles and even someone making minimum wage is has a relatively huge disparity in wealth.
Old 17-06-2019, 10:37   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Living on $5 a day is not "like a king" anywhere I know of, even amongst the loveliest subsistence farming villages where you need to draw and carry your water from the community well.

$20 a day is more realistic, but that is not a pleasant existence for most first-worlders, if your requirements include alcohol or city life.

Your larger point is however wise, what most USians consider "essential" to their lifestyle-happiness, is often much **more** expensive in later-developed countries than it would be say living in a small town on the gulf coast.

Personally I would greatly prefer experiencing another more radically different language / culture / zeitgeist,

for example I lived for over a decade in Australia, but now it would bore me, too similar to the US,

but as you say, not everyone's the same.
$5/day was hyperbole. Even $20/day is going to leave a lot of people disappointed even in cheap destinations.

Going to experience a different culture is a great reason to go. That's why we travel like we do. When we save some money, that's a bonus.

Going to with the primary intent to save money...as this article implies...that's a disaster. We've met some of those people and boy are they bitter.

Funny thing if you are living on $10k/yr (5% of $200k), if you stay in the USA, you likely qualify for far more than $10k in welfare per year.
Old 17-06-2019, 10:58   #119

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
We have less than $200K in financial wealth. So far, we live very well in Canada. We’re certainly not financially wealthy, but we’re rich in all the ways that matter.

So… I guess it depends on what you mean by “rich.” And more importantly, what you want out of life.
But you have other income sources right?

The poorly thought out article just plops down $200K and nothing else.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 11:06   #120

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
You like Vietnam better than Australia?

I like Vietnam, spent over 7 years flying there 3 times a month.

I don't think I would want to live there full time however....but to each their own.

Now Australia?.......I easily could live there full time and am actually looking into it.

As to the thread....Unfortunately, $200k won't go too far in Oz from what little i've experienced.
Oz and NZ are way cool, but both are painfully expensive. $200K would only be a down payment on a median priced home (right around $1M! in more populated areas of both countries).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote