Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2019, 03:14   #76
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Places Where You Can Retire on $200,000 and Feel Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
You want to try driving in Bali, Hahahaha
Done that as well - Nothing compares to India IMHO
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 03:53   #77
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Places Where You Can Retire on $200,000 and Feel Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Done that as well - Nothing compares to India IMHO
The most fun are roundabouts in cities..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 04:01   #78

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
You like Vietnam better than Australia?

I like Vietnam, spent over 7 years flying there 3 times a month.

I don't think I would want to live there full time however....but to each their own.

Now Australia?.......I easily could live there full time and am actually looking into it.

As to the thread....Unfortunately, $200k won't go too far in Oz from what little i've experienced.
Im Australian and believe it to be expensive BUT something ive realised recently is alot of countries are getting just as expensive! The big difference is they are getting just as expensive without the quality. The standards are fairly high back home,everythings pretty good. Also the wages are very high relative to many other countries.

Im now in Grenada, its not cheap yet the locals dont earn that much.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 04:19   #79
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You don’t?
No I want to feel comfortable being rich implies you think you are superior maybe ask the orange blimp !
Old 17-06-2019, 04:57   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
No I want to feel comfortable being rich implies you think you are superior maybe ask the orange blimp !
Id like to be rich, more than comfortable with that.
Old 17-06-2019, 05:05   #81
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Places Where You Can Retire on $200,000 and Feel Rich

Wealth is a state of mind, not a bank account..
There are many with little who consider themselves wealthy, and many with millions and its never enough.
Greed is what makes the difference.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 05:18   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post

To you maybe, I have no idea where you think this feeling superior comes from.
Feeling rich to many just simply means not having to worry about money, which may not take all that much income, and has not much to do with wealth.
Wealth and feeling rich aren’t really the same thing.
Many feel rich when they have health, a healthy family and all necessities covered
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 05:32   #83
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Id like to be rich, more than comfortable with that.
Good news is we are all immensely rich on this forum compared to most people in the world
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 06:03   #84

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
To you maybe, I have no idea where you think this feeling superior comes from.
Feeling rich to many just simply means not having to worry about money, which may not take all that much income, and has not much to do with wealth.
Wealth and feeling rich aren’t really the same thing.
Many feel rich when they have health, a healthy family and all necessities covered
Feeling rich is partially a state of mind. I live below the poverty line according to government measures, but I feel rich in all the ways that matter. But I’ve also spent a lot of effort arranging my life to allow this to be the case. I’ve made choices not easily open to most people in Canada.

All this said, it’s not hard to observe the negative attitudes of the rich towards the poor. I’m sure few rich people would state they feel superior to poor folk, but it’s not hard to see this attitude in fact and in action. Just walk down any large urban city street and see how the rich treat the homeless people. Indeed, it’s not just individual; this negative view gets translated into much public policy that results in the diminishment of those with little wealth.

The richer the country, the more wealth one needs just to remain normal, visible (not ignored, not dismissed, able to function).
Old 17-06-2019, 06:07   #85

"Wealth" is control, most specifically over your own life, and that mainly boils down to time: do you have sufficient resources that you can do what you want, when you want?

(of course some want way more control - over stuff, over others...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Good news is we are all immensely rich on this forum compared to most people in the world
Well, we kind of are, right? A: we're mostly from the 1st world, which statistically means we're close to the top. B: Most cruisers have succeeded enough in the conventional sense that they have enough discretionary income to buy and maintain a serious boat as well as the usual home and the rest of that stuff, and (hopefully) can take significant chunks of time off to cruise.

But I also acknowledge and tip my hat to those who have chosen a cruising life as a vocation or avocation, and have demonstrated that it can be done on a modest budget. It does require some sacrifice, and you still need your health and some resources, but it's certainly proof that one can have more control over their life without necessarily needing above-average savings and income.

Anywayyy, I appreciate all the tips and suggestions for places. I'm ready to get the bigger boat, up stakes and try a new place (or cruise around). Can anyone help convince my wife that the time to go is NOW?

Also could someone take our cat for a couple of years while we try it out? You need to have furniture you don't really care about, and are ok with tossing paper balls around for 2 or 3 hours a day.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 06:18   #86

Very few of us would say "gee's I wish I had less money". Money gives you options, how you choose to act towards others has no bearing on how much money you have.

Now, rich is subjective. Some of the richest people ive met had little money and lived in little villages in places like the Phillipines, they were not poor,they just didnt have much money.

Ive got a mate that works his butt of 18 hrs a day, he owes 9m, huge turnover etc, hes much poorer than the village people I mentioned above.

Sacraficing life to have more money is not something im interested in BUT i have zero problem with having more money.

I have had little money and now I have a decent amount, I would choose the latter anyday. Its just better.
Old 17-06-2019, 06:19   #87
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
... Well, we kind of are, right? A: we're mostly from the 1st world, which statistically means we're close to the top. B: Most cruisers have succeeded enough in the conventional sense that they have enough discretionary income to buy and maintain a serious boat as well as the usual home and the rest of that stuff, and (hopefully) can take significant chunks of time off to cruise...
An income of just $32,400 USD per year would allow someone to be among the top 1% of income earners in the world.
This should be a reminder of just how prosperous developed countries are compared to the vast majority of other people who share our planet.
According to the Credit Suisse Global Wealth Report 2018 [1], the top 1 percent of adults account for more than 47 percent of household wealth globally.
This raises an interesting question: Who exactly are the 1 percent worldwide? The surprising answer: If you’re an American, you don’t have to even be close to being uber-rich to make the list.
According to the Global Rich List [2], a website that brings awareness to worldwide income disparities, an income of $32,400 a year will allow you to make the cut. $32,400 amounts to roughly:
28,614 euros
2.307 million Indian rupees
218,532 Chinese yuan
To reach the top 1 percent worldwide in terms of wealth – not just income but all you own – you’d have to possess $770,000 in net worth, which includes everything from the equity in your home to the value of your investments.

[1] https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/19/how-...worldwide.html
[2] Global Rich List

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 06:32   #88

Gord, I have no doubt this is true BUT really its irrelevant because you need to take into account your location.

In Australia you are paying a minimum of 20k-25kaud pa to rent a place, this is a basic house. When I was in the phillipines the average everyday middleclass (not the poor) household earnt annually approx $2,500 pa and lived on that. A family gets by on that there, in Australia a family is really struggling to pay the bills on 50k pa.

I love talking to taxi drivers while travelling, I always ask them these sorts of questions.
Old 17-06-2019, 06:35   #89

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
An income of just $32,400 USD per year would allow someone to be among the top 1% of income earners in the world.
Damn… guess I’m still poor, or at least not a global 1 percenter .

But in all seriousness, poverty is mostly a relative concept. A Canadian living with $32K per year may indeed be rich person globally, but that’s irrelevant if you can’t pay all your bills at home.
Old 17-06-2019, 06:41   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Damn… guess I’m still poor, or at least not a global 1 percenter .
Mike Im a winner ....BUT,BUT why do I still feel poor when I walk intoi the big Budget marine chandlery here

I guess its that "you always spend a little more than you have".

The aud is tanking,i should slide out of the 1% anyday now