Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2019, 12:09   #541
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Places Where You Can Retire on $200,000 and Feel Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
They are stuck in one place. A boat is NOT a survival location. A boat is TRANSPORTATION to a survivable location. If you have a good survivable location you are confident in then by all means invest in that. The option is to invest in flexibility.
Exactly, in a devolving social structure I believe a seaworthy boat gives you the flexibility to seek out remote locations to survive

You don't need to grow things, but use your boat to follow the harvest seasons to gather wild edibles in uninhabited islands or lands.

By following the fish runs, hunting wild animals and birds, that nomadic life on a boat, though extremely challenging, is doable for a determined survivor

Of course there will be some things you will have to do without [emoji6]

https://youtu.be/tvDazrJuSdA
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 12:29   #542
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Mustard is not hard to make from scratch.

Meantime this should last even a decent sized tribe a while

https://www.amazon.com/Colmans-Musta.../dp/B00V3UH7SY
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 13:22   #543

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
You hear this a lot but I suspect its really a myth put out by survivalists. In reality, people would adapt pretty quickly. It may not be a fun transition and everyone might not survive but pretty quickly, people will adapt.

All depends on the nature of the disaster.

Just as easily a disaster that decimates a 3rd world country is a total non-issue for a 1st world country. There have been plenty of those. Most recent cases of mass starvation...the local people have been far more self sufficient than your modern 1st worlders.
Go see how things are going in Venezuela. The people who were already good at using violence and force to take what they wanted, have thrived. Normal people, not so much.
Old 23-10-2019, 13:23   #544

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Those people don’t live on their boat. They use a boat to go fishing. I’m scratching my head at your statement. LOL.
They have land. They grow vegetables and things.
Nope.
Small village, Biliran, Philippines, East Coast. (I spent weeks with them)
They grow nothing. Mother nature feeds them. They are fat and happy with fish and clams and jackfruit and foraged leaves of some sort... all washed down with tuba. (fermented coconut sap, aka coconut vodka)
Yes, they do live on shore, in little cinderblock huts with indoor plumbing. (gravity fed through a long PVC pipe from a mountain spring)

You stated: "The only time a boat is good is in times of conflict or when you have to move. For peer survival, a boat is what almost worthless."

This statement is incorrect. The absolute critical survival tool of this entire village is a small outrigger boat. You and I could indeed learn a thing or two from such small villagers about survival. (in fairness, they would not scratch their heads hearing your assumptions- they would just laugh)
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 13:38   #545

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post

Quick summary, Australian real estate very expensive,

Sydney, Melbourne and to a lesser extent the other capitals yes, but there is more to Australia than Sydney and Melbourne.
Plenty of places available in Australia for not much more than $100k, many in regional towns with amenities.
Quote:
friend sold very overvalued real estate in Australia due to realizing it was overvalued then purchased property in two other countries, 2 income. producing and one hobby. He did this from the proceeds from the original sale of Australian property
He could easily have done the same in Australia

Quote:
Try buying 6 units near the beach in Australia for 300k, that's what he did at the time in the US,
How long ago?
Wasnt that long ago we could have bought single bed units near the beach in Northern and central QLD for near that money.

Add: Just looked at Cairns again
There are still apartments for sale for $50k, 6=$300k

Quote:
try buying 6 acres of lush country side in Australia for 60,000 euro , that's what he did in Spain.
Again, not that hard.
Farming land west of Brisbane, a bit dry at the moment, 20 acres for half that amount.
North of Brisbane, lush green land going for 5.5eu/acre so 33000 euro for 6 acres
Catch is its a 50 acre block and in all fairness, I did only spend 2 minutes searching. (-;
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 14:05   #546
cruiser

Yes, but then you'd be living in Australia
Old 23-10-2019, 14:26   #547
KTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Nope.
Small village, Biliran, Philippines, East Coast. (I spent weeks with them)
They grow nothing. Mother nature feeds them. They are fat and happy with fish and clams and jackfruit and foraged leaves of some sort... all washed down with tuba. (fermented coconut sap, aka coconut vodka)
Yes, they do live on shore, in little cinderblock huts with indoor plumbing. (gravity fed through a long PVC pipe from a mountain spring)
How do they make cinderblocks and PVC pipe on this island?
KTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 14:48   #548

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTP View Post
How do they make cinderblocks and PVC pipe on this island?
They traded for that stuff with the extra fish, along with T-shirts, flip-flops, and toothbrushes. The next village had quite a few huts made only from local trees, but these block structures were better in the big storms like Typhoon Haiyan. The blocks and PVC were simply luxury items, negating the previous chores of walking up the hill for water and repairing the thatched roof.

The point is that we in the "West" can make survival assumptions that would sound silly to other people who are actually surviving and thriving on much less than we might imagine. To discount the value of a BOAT to such primitive survival is a grave and foolish mistake in the case where there is food swimming nearby, no?
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 14:56   #549
KTP

No, I am with you in that I do think a boat (preferably a nice bluewater sailboat) is a great survival platform if it is set up for a long distance crossing (solar, wind gen, water maker with spare filters, etc). There are many who are away from shores for weeks or months which can be a long time in a SHTF worldwide disaster scenario. It is also very unlikely you will be accosted by pirates or anyone once you are a couple hundred miles from shore. Nobody is going to be taking a runabout out that far in a SHTF scenario when gasoline supplies will run out within days.

I was just asking about the cinder blocks and pvc pipe because even the most simple villages have become somewhat dependent on the modernized world for things. They are also just one tsunami away from being wiped off the planet, especially if there is no world relief available anymore.
KTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 15:55   #550

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Exactly, in a devolving social structure I believe a seaworthy boat gives you the flexibility to seek out remote locations to survive

You don't need to grow things, but use your boat to follow the harvest seasons to gather wild edibles in uninhabited islands or lands.

By following the fish runs, hunting wild animals and birds, that nomadic life on a boat, though extremely challenging, is doable for a determined survivor

Of course there will be some things you will have to do without [emoji6]

https://youtu.be/tvDazrJuSdA
Shhhhhhhhh!

I didn’t want to post that part. Ha ha ha.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 16:24   #551

Boat: Still building

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Yes, but then you'd be living in Australia
ROTFLMAO

Don't knock it till you've tried it...

But I totally agree with hpeer on every point he made.

Global systems are intertwined and a catastrophy to one unavoidably affects the other.

What I find somewhat amusing are the so-called "survivalists" who build underground bunkers and stock them with a few months-worth of packaged supplies.

They are literally taking a punt that "order" will eventually (if not sooner) be re-established, and that their "supplies" will see them through the famine caused by the global system collapse.

Problem is, if "order" is not re-established quickly, they still have little or no skills of *actual* survival - e.g. how to propagate food crops etc etc - so once their packaged goods run out, they'll be effed.

Sure, a small number who have stockpiled ammo may survive longer, but without the "chemical industrial complex" (i.e. global trade) even the ammo runs out eventually.

Then you need to know how to make a bow and arrow, or a spear, or a fish-hook from bone and line from plaited hair...

Reckon those "Culture Warriors" from First Nations, insisting on maintaing their former subsistence culture, have got a fall back plan..

Eventual world domination...

[wink]
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 16:32   #552

Boat: Still building

Maybe we should start a thread as to where we think a 'survivable location' might be....

Oh, heck, alright, here it is here....
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 16:37   #553

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

The Elite crowd seem to be buying properties in NZ,
Might be some thing in that,
Its closer than we think,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 16:49   #554
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
The Elite crowd seem to be buying properties in NZ
Jacinda put paid to that couple months ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
Don't knock it till you've tried it...
Have done mate, over a decade altogether, still have family and some bush property there
Old 23-10-2019, 16:57   #555

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTP View Post
I was just asking about the cinder blocks and pvc pipe because even the most simple villages have become somewhat dependent on the modernized world for things. They are also just one tsunami away from being wiped off the planet, especially if there is no world relief available anymore.

Quote:
Then you need to know how to make a bow and arrow, or a spear, or a fish-hook from bone and line from plaited hair...

Your not starting in the stone age. You can pay it forward, build up supplies (and knowledge) now that will assist in the future.

I got the sailboat bug after the 2008 financial issue (that's what we label fraud in the US). I started to look at how I could simplify life and money issues. A sailboat seemed a good way to build a self-sustaining platform in the good times to make it through the bad times. I've always loved the ocean/water but found out that I liked sailing as an after effect.

In between getting the sailboat idea and actually getting a boat I lived in Hawi'i and did some homesteading. There is a learning curve and some work envolved but growing your own food is not that hard.

In talking to people in mainstream lifestyle though I hear a lot of "it's too tough to do". When/if SHTF, who really knows how many will "man" up and handle what needs to happen. Humans are very adaptable, but damn the current crop looks weak (so I'm on the fence on if we all die if a meteor strikes or we adapt and overcome).

I'm currently reading Herman Melville's Typee. It doesn't take much to survive in the right climate.

Back on topic of retiring at a reasonable rate. I lived in Mexico (near Ensenada) for a few years. Rented a house from an American couple. They were doing well on $1200 a month social security and my $700 a month rent. My rent allowed them to travel a little bit. They were money aware, but not broke.