Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2019, 03:46   #391

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Places Where You Can Retire on $200,000 and Feel Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Condescending???

All YOU ever do is talk up everything Canada and put down everything from everywhere else, especially the USA.

Please enlighten me as a fellow Canadian, as to where you’ve traveled recently and what foods served in countries other than Canada that you tasted. Hint: Chinese food served up in Canada doesn’t count.
OK, I take it back, you DID mean to be condescending … my mistake. I won’t make it again. And I can add that you like to employ ad hominem attacks to your approach as well. Good to know.

ALL I said was the price list didn’t seem to be particularly inexpensive. You take this as some sort of personal attack, for reasons only you (and perhaps your therapist) can understand.
Old 27-06-2019, 05:14   #392

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
OK, I take it back, you DID mean to be condescending … my mistake. I won’t make it again. And I can add that you like to employ ad hominem attacks to your approach as well. Good to know.

ALL I said was the price list didn’t seem to be particularly inexpensive. You take this as some sort of personal attack, for reasons only you (and perhaps your therapist) can understand.

I have to agree with Mike, Ken. I am glad you are enjoying the Med. I am sure I would as well but I can get that menu and great service in Annapolis right now with a beautiful view of the Navy Academy or over on the Eastern Shore with St. Micheals in the background too. It is not exclusive to the Med and the prices are certainly not exceptional.

There are many great places in the world. I would love to be up where Mike is now as the heat set in down here but each of us has things we like. You like the Med. Great. Just because you like it doesn’t mean those who like other places just don’t understand.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 05:20   #393

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleins View Post
I have to agree with Mike, Ken. I am glad you are enjoying the Med. I am sure I would as well but I can get that menu and great service in Annapolis right now with a beautiful view of the Navy Academy or over on the Eastern Shore with St. Micheals in the background too. It is not exclusive to the Med and the prices are certainly not exceptional.

There are many great places in the world. I would love to be up where Mike is now as the heat set in down here but each of us has things we like. You like the Med. Great. Just because you like it doesn’t mean those who like other places just don’t understand.

Jim
Oh what the hell do you guys know!? [emoji6]

(I suspect Ken will be along soon to answer that question). [emoji6]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 05:30   #394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Here’s the full picture(s).
Had a very similar steak dinner just last night on the water in Michigan...prices were almost dead on the same.

I've seen very similar prices in many other coastal areas for seafood.

So where exactly is the huge savings?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 05:56   #395
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

By not eating $16 steak dinners out in restaurants, except as a rare special treat!

Again the intention was

for those who will "only" have $200K in the bank

how / where can you go to reduce the cost of living **off that low level** of financial means?

By living in a later-developing country where the average person makes a few hundred $USD per month, sure street food is affordable at say $5-8 a meal, but again, not every meal.

Shop at local fresh markets and cook "at home" on the boat.

Arguing over where you can get a good filet with great Hollandaise so you can get by on your $40,000+ a year is besides the point, completely off topic afaic

Even $20K per person won't be available at the level that is on topic, when boat costs are factored in, but at least you're not paying rent for sticks and bricks.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 06:02   #396

Boat: 2019 Saona 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Yair. When I lived in MManila in the 1990s, we had to have full dabs of all fingers and palms, etc. Apart from that, v relaxed wrt authorities.

The real problem was the general low level of security, high level of gun ownership, and high level of air pollution in Metro Manila. Outside of the Philippines, I could to dine out on my stories of seeing pitched battles at the local barangay bar between the police and the AFP. Or the PAL employee who took out his femoral artery when he slipped his pistol into his waistband on his way home from the office. Or the number of people I knew who were killed in bungled kidnap attempts. Or any of the several events of road rage when an angry driver on EDSA took out the horn-beeping driver of the car or bus behind him in the afternoon traffic. Or the New Years Day when NAIA was closed because the celebratory tire-burning had dropped visibility to zero. Or the wife of the ambassador from XXX who got her first drivers licence ever by sitting in the rear seat with her chauffeur up front doing the test. Or ...
Oh how I do love the Philippines...for the many reasons you listed and many more. Free entertainment can be found just by watching people go about their daily lives, or reading the local news in each and every one of the many daily newspapers.

I have lived there on and off for a significant portion of my adult life.... when the time comes, the wife and I will likely end up there to watch my final sunset, hopefully from the cockpit of my boat.
HighTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 07:31   #397
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

To me, Manila manifests the worst symptoms of a mostly dysfunctional country, where the young have been drawn in by the bright lights.

But wander into the Visayas or Abra mountains and you will find warm, friendly unaffected people, fishing or farming to sustain themselves.

There, the main dysfunction seems to be single parent young mothers who are good Catholics[emoji57]
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190627-220759_Google.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	194848
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 07:42   #398
cdy

I am.a.part time expat in Colombia - can be very affordable especially in towns.and.smaller.cities , Medellin and Bogota can be expensive depending on one's lifestyle - bigger problem -where to.keep boat - really only 2 choices - Cartagena and Santa Maria - slip rental can be expensive and don't think I would.keep a.boat.there long term in the hook - Panama has.more.options but has gotten a.lot.more.expensive to live - getting too many expats and becoming like.CR
cdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 10:25   #399
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

For Americans:
“How to “Pensionize” Any IRA or 401(k) Plan” ~ by Steve Vernon, FSA
In collaboration with the Society of Actuaries, the Stanford Center on Longevity has completed a major study of retirement income strategies that integrates IRAs, 401(k) plans, and home equity. This study has identified a straightforward strategy that can be implemented in virtually any IRA or 401(k) plan, possibly with minimal input from a financial adviser. It’s called the Spend Safely in Retirement Strategy. It should help older, middle-income workers make important life decisions, such as how long they should continue to work full time, whether they should transition into retirement with part-time work, when they can fully retire, and how much money they can spend in retirement. For middle-income retirees (those with $100,000 to $1 million in savings) the Spend Safely strategy stands out, the study found. The combination of delaying Social Security and using the RMD rules to draw down the nest egg ties together two highly efficient retirement-income strategies
More https://getpocket.com/explore/item/s...-in-retirement
The Study http://longevity.stanford.edu/2017/1...-or-401k-plan/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 02:59   #400

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
But I note from the ThaiLand press a few disquieting events in recent months:

And today The Nation, one of the only two English-language national broadsheet newspapers in ThaiLand, ended its life as a printed newspaper.

Read about history of The Nation and what led up to its demise:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/...via-the-nation

and

https://thethaiger.com/news/opinion/...nation-daily-1
Old 28-06-2019, 05:22   #401
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The median annual household income worldwide is $9,733, and the median per-capita household income is $2,920, according to new Gallup metrics*. Vast differences between more economically developed countries and those with developing or transitional economies illustrate how dramatically spending power varies worldwide. Median per-capita incomes in the top 10 wealthiest populations are more than 50 times those in the 10 poorest populations, all of which are in sub-Saharan Africa.
* ➥ https://news.gallup.com/poll/166211/...ncome-000.aspx

There’s considerable inequality within countries - in the United States $17,593 is the median income, whereas the mean GDP per capita is $54,629, which is what everyone would earn if you perfectly redistributed all income.
But there’s even greater global inequality in terms of median GDP per capita per year: it ranges from $383 in Madagascar to $21,717 in Norway, with most values at the low end.
The global median of these medians is $2,630 and the population weighted average of these median values is $4,114 - these two values might be good approximations of global median per capita, and in line with older empirical estimates of $2,920 by Gallup. In comparison, world GDP per capita is $14,971 (PPP) - which is what everyone would earn if you perfectly redistributed all income worldwide.
These estimates are already Purchasing Power Parity (PPP) adjusted: meaning that this already takes into account, for example, that housing is cheaper in Madagascar than in the United States, and that the government provides more services in the US. It also already includes goods people produce for themselves in the Madagascar (such as growing food or making baskets).
In other words, when you read that Madagascar has a median GDP per capita (PPP) of $383 per year, then it is comparable to living on $383 per year in the United States.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 07:56   #402

Goa is the cheapest place I have ever been to, but I certainly would not want to live there.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 13:49   #403
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Looks like a beautiful and delicious night Ken.

I think part of the joy of travelling is the food trip!

I agree, the Med outshines every other Sea in the world, with local cuisine to a very high standard.

But in this cost conscious thread about value, it is the remote areas where a boat can take you .....that you can either catch or buy seafood at truly remarkable prices.

Wild Tiger Prawns $2.94/kilo
Mangrove Crabs, the same!Attachment 194833Attachment 194834

Remote placed in Thailand or Malaysia have great Cuisine if you like curries and Asian food, but I drool when thinking of some of the great Resteraunts I have been to in Europe.
As I approach Corfu, Greece on this beautiful stary night, I can see clearly what a serious waste of time participating on forum has become. Some like you get it, others never will whilst sitting home on their computers trolling day and night using a currency converter to compare food quality.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 00:40   #404

Boat: Still building

It's a shame really that one or two people can be SOOOO unhelpful, rude, condescending and generally unpleasant when pretty much everyone else is doing the right thing and being respectful and 'nice'.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 00:52   #405
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
It's a shame really that one or two people can be SOOOO unhelpful, rude, condescending and generally unpleasant when pretty much everyone else is doing the right thing and being respectful and 'nice'.
Exactly, I log on to make a constructive comment for Sailorboy, then the CF troll pack jumps on it.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote