Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2019, 09:38   #361
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Places Where You Can Retire on $200,000 and Feel Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Really? As far as I remember from the GFC the banks were bailed out with $700 Billion of US Tax payers money! All with no accountability for how it was used.

That was the biggest robbery in history in plain site!

Not to argue, but there is no monster huge bank account where Billions upon Billions of taxpayers money is deposited, we run continuously on a deficit, that 700 Billion didn’t exist then or now.
Now assumption of course is when you “print” 700 Billion dollars out of thin air, it’s paid for by diluting the value of existing money, but that doesn’t happen.
And that is where in truth my fiscal understanding begins to break down, cause it makes no logical sense, and therefore can’t be sustained indefinitely? It’s just like people with huge debt, the more money they make, the deeper in debt they become. One day they are going to have to pay the Piper, but they don’t think so, they think they are smart and can continue to play shell games with their debt, maybe they can.

I can remember in the Army, late 80’s I think and we had run out of money or were fixing to run out of money.
Well some financial genius postulated that we should start being paid on the first day of the month as opposed to the last, that would shift one entire pay period to the next fiscal year, and we wouldn’t run out of money. Of course it means that next year there are 25 pay periods, not 24, so next year is going to be expensive.

I thought it was a joke, I mean even in jest what idiot could propose such a plan, but you know what, that is what was done.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 09:42   #362
cruiser

Re: Places Where You Can Retire on $200,000 and Feel Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Is this similar to your $16/day to live on your boat in the med... while ignoring the actual expenses of a high 6 figure boat?

Fact is US and European prices are pretty similar for similar experiences.
The actual “fact” is that you are wrong. I have lived on the west coast of the US for 30 years and cruised that area, and I’ve lived on the east coast of the US for 30 years and cruised that area. I’ve also been cruising the Med for eight years from Spain to now Greece.

You are wrong.... and please quit trolling my posts and spewing nonsense. Meanwhile, I’m about ready to take the dinghy over for my five star meal experience.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 09:44   #363
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I have YEARS of plans to continue cruising on the boat. I'm a long term big picture planning type of guy. Heck I joined this forum 2 years before I had ever even sailed for the first time. I like to know what I'm getting into!
Anytime you are ready to move over to the Med, please feel free to drop me a pm for tips.
Old 26-06-2019, 09:58   #364

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Not to argue, but there is no monster huge bank account where Billions upon Billions of taxpayers money is deposited, we run continuously on a deficit, that 700 Billion didn’t exist then or now.
Now assumption of course is when you “print” 700 Billion dollars out of thin air, it’s paid for by diluting the value of existing money, but that doesn’t happen.
And that is where in truth my fiscal understanding begins to break down, cause it makes no logical sense, and therefore can’t be sustained indefinitely? It’s just like people with huge debt, the more money they make, the deeper in debt they become. One day they are going to have to pay the Piper, but they don’t think so, they think they are smart and can continue to play shell games with their debt, maybe they can.

I can remember in the Army, late 80’s I think and we had run out of money or were fixing to run out of money.
Well some financial genius postulated that we should start being paid on the first day of the month as opposed to the last, that would shift one entire pay period to the next fiscal year, and we wouldn’t run out of money. Of course it means that next year there are 25 pay periods, not 24, so next year is going to be expensive.

I thought it was a joke, I mean even in jest what idiot could propose such a plan, but you know what, that is what was done.
This is where the federal reserve and QE come into play, create money out of thin air ,buy US treasuries which finances the government and of we go......and of course it can't go on indefinitely. History shows that debasing the currency (use any name you want) ends up destroying the purchasing power of that currency. From what I've read there's been no exceptions.

And we do have massive inflation in the form of asset bubbles. You can't not get inflation with such liquidity. Even the not reaching 2% inflation regarding the man on the street is BS, the models that measure inflation have changed a number of times over the years. Wage growth is stagnant but cost of living is not, purchasing power has definitely been eroded.

MMT will be the next "unconventional " tool used until its relabeled conventional. A fancy name for handing out money created from nothing.

Zimbabwe and Venezuela abused their monetary systems.........but that was different, right?
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 10:19   #365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The actual “fact” is that you are wrong. I have lived on the west coast of the US for 30 years and cruised that area, and I’ve lived on the east coast of the US for 30 years and cruised that area. I’ve also been cruising the Med for eight years from Spain to now Greece.

You are wrong.... and please quit trolling my posts and spewing nonsense. Meanwhile, I’m about ready to take the dinghy over for my five star meal experience.
Well then give us the full picture on costs but don't be selective leaving out large expenses.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 11:04   #366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
Mate, how long since you rented a house in Oz?

$25K is only around $500/wk, and the only places you can get a house for that sort of money is WELL away from the main capital cities and conurbations.

I left western Sydney 10 years ago when my rent went from $250/wk to 300/wk. For a two bedroom house.

A house in the same street rented recently for $700/wk..!! And that's undesirable outer wester Sydney! Inner city you're talking same amount for a 1 bed apartment.

A mate of mine on the mid-north coast is struggling to find a house under $500/wk that is not located next to a sewage works or an abbattoir, or in a theft-prone area.

He found one, but it wasn't that easy....

And he's earning less than the 'average' wage of around AU$70K
That's cause the govt opened up for Asian invasion. Similar happened in UASA with 30 million strangers in past 20 years.20 million illegally --now many of our citizens are homeless.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 12:09   #367
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
That's cause the govt opened up for Asian invasion. Similar happened in UASA with 30 million strangers in past 20 years.20 million illegally --now many of our citizens are homeless.
I'm not certain how illegal immigration affects the price of beans, rent, or retirement, but:

According to the Pew Research Center:
There were 10.5 million unauthorized immigrants in the U.S. in 2017, representing 3.2% of the total U.S. population that year. The 2017 unauthorized immigrant total is a 14% drop from the peak of 12.2 million in 2007, when this group was 4% of the U.S. population...
... The U.S. civilian workforce includes 7.6 million unauthorized immigrants, representing a decline since 2007...
... About two-thirds (66%) of unauthorized immigrant adults in 2017 had been in the U.S. more than 10 years, compared with 41% in 2007... In 2017, unauthorized immigrant adults had lived in the U.S. for a median of 15.1 years, meaning that half had been in the country at least that long...”
https://www.pewresearch.org/topics/u...d-immigration/

According to the Department of Housing and Urban Development:
“On a single night in 2018, roughly 553,000 people were experiencing homelessness in the United States. About two-thirds (65%) were staying in sheltered locations—emergency shelters or transitional housing programs—and about one-third (35%) were in unsheltered locations such as on the street, in abandoned buildings, or in other places not suitable for human habitation...”
https://files.hudexchange.info/resou...HAR-Part-1.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 13:00   #368

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I'm not certain how illegal immigration affects the price of beans, rent, or retirement, but:

According to the Pew Research Center:
There were 10.5 million unauthorized immigrants in the U.S. in 2017, representing 3.2% of the total U.S. population that year. The 2017 unauthorized immigrant total is a 14% drop from the peak of 12.2 million in 2007, when this group was 4% of the U.S. population...
A recent Yale paper estimated that number as MUCH higher. Closer to 22 million.

Just so we're all on the same page.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ted-immigrants
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 13:20   #369

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

The problem with wealth is the accompanying fear of losing it (government confiscation, inflation, theft, lawsuits, etcetera).
Old 26-06-2019, 13:41   #370
cruiser

Quote:
Well then give us the full picture on costs but don't be selective leaving out large expenses.
This is as info as I’m willing to provide, basically.... everyone here in the Adriatic who participates on this forum is laughing at your ignorance.

Tonights meal: We each ordered the beef steak for €16. It was delicious.
Old 26-06-2019, 14:23   #371
cruiser

Quote:
Here’s the full picture(s).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C4090487-3B14-471F-BBD2-5C85A969AE24.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	194783   Click image for larger version

Name:	223BA4E3-D260-456D-BA24-165F819DAC33.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	406.4 KB
ID:	194784  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2BB0B72D-E201-43D7-AF1B-CD5544565B1F.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	431.0 KB
ID:	194785  
Old 26-06-2019, 14:33   #372

Boat: Rafiki 37

These prices seem right in line with typical Canadian prices: €16 = $24 CND, which is a tad pricy for a steak meal, but in the range. Likewise, $25 CND (€17) for salmon seems on the pricey side, but within the typical range.

Not sure what all the fuss is about guys.
Old 26-06-2019, 14:47   #373
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
These prices seem right in line with typical Canadian prices: €16 = $24 CND, which is a tad pricy for a steak meal, but in the range. Likewise, $25 CND (€17) for salmon seems on the pricey side, but within the typical range.

Not sure what all the fuss is about guys.
I just get tired of the same dozen or so trolls who spread misinformation, besides... the guy was referencing US prices... not Canadian. You won’t find the same level of service, price, taste, quality and view anywhere in the US that can be found everywhere in the Adriatic.

Please read post #362 including the quote.
Old 26-06-2019, 14:49   #374

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
This is where the federal reserve and QE come into play, create money out of thin air ,buy US treasuries which finances the government and of we go......and of course it can't go on indefinitely. History shows that debasing the currency (use any name you want) ends up destroying the purchasing power of that currency. From what I've read there's been no exceptions.

And we do have massive inflation in the form of asset bubbles. You can't not get inflation with such liquidity. Even the not reaching 2% inflation regarding the man on the street is BS, the models that measure inflation have changed a number of times over the years. Wage growth is stagnant but cost of living is not, purchasing power has definitely been eroded.

MMT will be the next "unconventional " tool used until its relabeled conventional. A fancy name for handing out money created from nothing.

Zimbabwe and Venezuela abused their monetary systems.........but that was different, right?

Spot on! I was about to comment on these points by you and A64 Pilot but you beat me to it!! I would also add something interesting with regards to inflation. First, the U.S. and some other governments have changed the way they measure inflation. It is basically a lie since the new measurements make it look like there is less inflation.

Second, and much worse, is that the central banks of the world (In the U.S. it is the Federal Reserve, which by the way is a private bank owned by its members) have been devaluing the value of the various fiat currencies of the world. From 1789 to 1913, the value of the U.S. dollar has remained roughly the same (1789 is when the colonies became the U.S. of America by ratifying the Constitution. 1913 is when the Federal Reserve was created) From 1913 to today the value of the dollar U.S. has plummeted between 96 and 98% depending upon your source.

Here is brief real world example. In 1940 (per a web page on the U.S. Department of Energy) a gallon of petrol was averaging $.18 U.S. An ounce of silver in 1940 was av eraging $.36 U.S, so half an ounce of silver bought a gallon of gasoline. Today a gallon of gas is just under $3 U.S. and silver is averaging just over $15 per ounce. Today just 1/5 of an ounce of silver buys a gallon petrol. This is despite the fact that we have to go way off shore, drill much deeper, and frack. The price has gone way up but the cost has come down!

Certainly there are variables and other complexities such as the role of technology, but it is nonetheless a good example of the devaluation of our fiat currencies, and also shows where some of this inflation comes from.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 14:55   #375

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I just get tired of the same dozen or so trolls who spread misinformation, besides... the guy was referencing US prices... not Canadian. You won’t find the level of service, taste, quality and view anywhere in the US that can be found everywhere in the Adriatic.

Please read post #362 including the quote.
Not really sure what the bun fight is over. Just that your menu caught my eye. The prices seem comparable, but on the high side, of what I’d expect to find here. It’s been a while since I’ve travelled in the USA, but my little currency converter suggests the steak and salmon dinners are also in the expected range; not really more, nor less..