Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2019, 08:00   #1

Boat: Aloha 32
Pillows and Cushion Toppers for a Good Night's Sleep

Disclaimer: We are not liveaboards. We just want a good night's sleep when we are cruising.

We had our first sleep on the boat Saturday night. It was a bit uncomfortable, to say the least. For now we'd like to just put a topper on the berth cushions.

For the topper, we are thinking a 4" bamboo, memory foam topper.

For pillows, we have a couple of bamboo pillows we bought at a boat show several years ago. They seem okay.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
Jules_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 08:37   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Pillows and Cushion Toppers for a Good Night's Sleep

The toppers sold at Costco work pretty wel and are easy to cut. Not as good as a high end custom matterss.
Old 22-04-2019, 09:38   #3

Everyone likes different things. My eife loves soft cushy pillows, I like firm ones. Same with mattress "solidity." It is almost impossible to answer your question because what YOU like is the ONLY measure that counts. Good luck, there are lots of solutions out there.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 10:36   #4

Boat: Aloha 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Everyone likes different things. My eife loves soft cushy pillows, I like firm ones. Same with mattress "solidity." It is almost impossible to answer your question because what YOU like is the ONLY measure that counts. Good luck, there are lots of solutions out there.

In general I'm concerned mostly about things like water absorption, mold & mildew and the kinds of things that make conventional bedding items unsuitable for the marine environment.

Specifically, I don't want anything that doesn't allow heat dissipation. I've read some foams can make you feel pretty hot. I like it cool.
Jules_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 15:11   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Jules M,

Hi, there. You'll find it isn't too hard. Jim and I went to a foam shop, and lay down on different firmnesses of foam till we found one we thought we could live with. What we're using now, bottom layer is closed cell foam, 3/8", middle layer 4" firm foam, and an egg-crate topper. Had them cut it, and put it into our cushion covers. Over that, an inexpensive mattress pad, normal sheets and blankets, altered to fit the shape of the v-berth.

Ann
Old 23-04-2019, 08:39   #6

Boat: Rawson 30PH

I just went through the same process. Being a side sleeper with bad shoulder arthritis it was very important to me, but not worth a custom mattress ($$$).

Ended up with a quality latex topper, which is the material the best local custom marine/ RV mattress people use to finish theirs. Easy to cut to size. Spent the extra $ on a fitted protective cover and sheets.

Good sleep is important!
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 08:48   #7

Boat: Cape Dory 31

We live aboard in foggy Maine June thru September on a 31-footer. Like you, our old cushions were not pleasant to sleep on.

We both like firmer mattresses. We tested a lot of foam at shops and boat shows and talked to other live-aboards. We decided on 3" firm closed cell with a 1" memory foam toppers inside new covers in the saloon.

In the V-berth, where we usually sleep, we choose 3" of breathable foam topped with 2 " of memory foam. The breathable foam, along with breathable cloth bottoms on the covers, seems to keep the mildew down which is saying something in damp Maine. Great sleeping since we made this sizable investment, or at least as great as one can expect sleeping in a V-berth.

Good luck

Jenn and Terry
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 08:54   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules_M View Post
In general I'm concerned mostly about things like water absorption, mold & mildew and the kinds of things that make conventional bedding items unsuitable for the marine environment.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Conventional bedding works just fine for us. Our colorful duvet has seen decades of yeoman service. Since my wife can't sail with me these days because she's the full time caregiver for her 98 year old father, I reverted to a sleeping bag! Easier to make the bed. It's not a "marine rated" sleeping bag either.
Of course, the climate one is operating in will also have an impact. As will your own body's metabolism.
If it rains inside your boat, then you'll start to have "the kinds of things" you mentioned. Separate subject.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 10:39   #9

Location: On the boat; Bahamas November-May, East Coast of US May to November
Boat: Beneteau 49

We live aboard full time and have a custom mattress in our V-berth. But in our guest cabin, we have the existing standard “came with the boat” mattress, topped by a 2 inch memory foam topper from Sam’s Club. You can just cut it to fit. I think the trick is then to cover the whole thing with a mattress cover - most have stretchy sides, so you can put it over the whole topper and mattress combo. This definitely helps to keep some separation between you and the foam, making it cooler and more comfortable. Then I top it all off with Tencel sheets. Highly recommend them. They are made from eucalyptus and are soft and breathable.

As far as pillows go, I think you’re fine with whatever you use at home. I have a 100% down/feather one, and my husband has a bamboo one. Pillows are such a personal thing. But I do put a protective cover on each one and then Tencel pillowcases on top.

All our guests say it’s the best night sleep they have had - even better than home!
Nickodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 13:48   #10

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Jules,

We went with a custom mattress and have no regrets.

Pillows are whatever works for the individual.

Since you will need ventilation under your 'mattress' anyway, you may also want to look into the Froli Sleep System; ventilation and adjusted comfort of existing 'mattress'. For ventilation only, I find it hard to beat Hypervent.

If you desire more details, the above is from our page about Bedding Considerations in Cooler Climates [much of which applies to warm climates as well...]

In case any of this is useful.

Cheers! Bill
Old 23-04-2019, 13:51   #11

My wife and I have spent many years sleeping on foam boat mattresses. We prefer to have some barrier between our bottom sheet and the foam.
Best we have had is a thick quilted polyester fill mattress pad with a sheep skin mattress pad on top of that. Cool comfort, especially in hot and humid conditions.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 14:22   #12

Boat: Baba 40

+1 for Froli. Not cheap, but the system allows air flow and some spring.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote