Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2009, 15:58   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Philadelphia Liveaboard

We have been thinking of doing a live-aboard in the Philadelphia area. We were checking some local marinas yesterday and the answers were NOT reassuring.

We currently live and work in CC Philadelphia and would need to retain our current jobs for the time being.

We have a boat that we keep at a distant location. So this would be a second boat, at least for a while, until we sort out our future plans. Our thought was to, in the mean time, get a taste of the life.

Anyone out there with some experience in this matter?
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 16:06   #2

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Have you looked in NJ? Riverside Marina. ??
Old 19-01-2009, 16:27   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

That would be my next stop. We go by there occasionally and I used to live in Delran, just up the street. There is a nice open air bar/grill on the docks open in the summer.

I don't recall seeing any liveaboards there.

The commute would be doable I suppose now that they have the Riverline in action. Long walk to a station though.
Old 19-01-2009, 17:40   #4

hpeer,
I'm not sure but I think there are or at least used to be some liveaboards at Dredge Harbor marina (not sure if it is still called that). I grew up in Palmyra, and Cinnaminson, but it's been a while since I've been back there. I knew a girl that lived on her Lippincott 30 back in the early 80's but I'm not sure she lived aboard during the winter.
I think that almost all of the places haul all of the boats and pretty much shut down for the winter. I lived aboard in DC in the winter and that was done by many, but it's a much milder climate than Philla. Maybe you could try down around Wilmington and commute?
Brian
amarinesurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 20:35   #5

Boat: 1989 Carver Santego 3067 - BADFISH
Send a message via AIM to BadFish
I live aboard and work in Pittsburgh. It's outstanding in the summer.

Like Brian said some docks pretty much shut down in the winter. Find a marina that still has boats in the water and talk to em. Long as they got some elec and h20 (that's not froze), you're good. I don't know why marinas would have a problem with it, they're not making much money in the winter.

You might not want to start the conversation with "I want to live aboard at your docks" as some marinas frown on that. Maybe ease that into the conversation after you have assesed that there are slips available and are discussing prices.... IMHO

Cheers

Bill
Old 19-01-2009, 20:52   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Bear, DE is not a bad place. It's a biggest marina on the D & C canal. We bought our boat there. They have a small but hearty live aboard group. Folks seem nice. We spent some time there getting the boat ready to sail home. It is a pretty place in a down in the valley kind of way. You can commute to Philly. A Philly winter ain't no picnic. It's bad enough where we are 250 miles south and we don't live aboard. DE has no boat taxes so maybe that is something.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:31   #7

Boat: Tartan 34c
Live-Aboard Philadelphia

I know this is several months after your post, but... there are some live-aboards in CC Philly. There is a small marina behind La Veranda restaurant (between Market and Arch Streets). There are several sailboat live-aboards. It is officially not allowed, but they have been there for years. I do believe they stay through the winter. It is small and well protected on three sides. If you need a sailing fix while you are away from your distant boat, there is a sailing club with well kept J27s under the Ben Franklin Bridge (if you don't know about it, it is Liberty Sailing Club Racing and Cruising J/Boats on the Delaware River Waterfront in Center City Philadelphia). Let me know if you ever need crew! stephencastellano at g mail dought calm. good luck!
sevent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 17:10   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We have since talked to a couple of them very casually a few months back. I think we have put the liveaboard idea aside for the time being.

Aside, not dead.

Tags
liveaboard