Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2017, 19:32   #91

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: People who think cruising will be lollipops and unicorns...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Not really. The most bizarre component of our representative democracy is that we have a certain percentage of our population, who have made such bad life decisions, that they depend on the work of others to keep them alive, and yet we allow these people to make decisions for everyone.

No doubt, there is a moral imperative to help those who can't help themselves. But, is there a moral imperative to let them make decisions that imperil the entire population, the way their personal decisions have imperiled their own lives? Maybe the founding fathers should have had that discussion one day.

Income tax is a great example. Forty seven per cent of the voting population pays no federal income tax. And, forty seven per cent of the voting population sees no need for federal income tax reform. Coincidence?
So right, but don't say it to loudly, the leaners have the right to throw rocks at you :-)
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 19:45   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatservo View Post
That's fine, the problem is it's not the government's money, it's our money...

If they would be more damn efficient with it, we would not have a 21 trillion dollar deficit that later generations will have to pay. It's the waste, fraud, and abuse that most of us get pissed off about. I don't mind paying taxes, but then we find out it's going to the families of palestinian terrorists who martyred themselves? WTF!

meatservo
Some good stuff on this thread. I agree the lack of efficacy is what peeves me. Lifters and leaners, or paretos principle applies here, there's just not a fair distribution of weight carrying.

I built a business from scratch, in the end I paided superannuation for 18 people yet have none myself, collected taxes free of charge for the government via gst (paided bookkeeper and account) withheld and paided the employees taxs, paided 4% in workers compensation for the employees, 16k per year in professional liability insurance as I was sued once by a no win no charge situation and increasingly paid more tax as my efforts were financially rewarded, sold the business and now have a 67k capital gains tax.
You can probably pick up I'm a Ann Rand.

But hey, im now sitting in paradise so fairly certain it was all worth it :-)
Old 22-07-2017, 19:54   #93

Quote:
So, how deep in debt can we go? How much tax can we take from taxpayers? How few people can support how many people?

I guess we are going to find out.
Taxes dont even come close to covering most, if not all countries expenses. The Australian government borrows something in the order if 1.3m (I think its more now) every hour of everyday and over 40% of that goes towards servicing the debt it already has, but the hilarious thing is we are in a better position than most.
The US had accumulated something like 8trillion in debt over its entire history up until 2008 its managed to more than double that amount in the last 9 years!

Anyway time to shut up, im of topic, but it is entertaining.
Old 22-07-2017, 23:22   #94

Boat: Jeanneau 45,2

Quote:
Not really. The most bizarre component of our representative democracy is that we have a certain percentage of our population, who have made such bad life decisions, that they depend on the work of others to keep them alive, and yet we allow these people to make decisions for everyone.

No doubt, there is a moral imperative to help those who can't help themselves. But, is there a moral imperative to let them make decisions that imperil the entire population, the way their personal decisions have imperiled their own lives? Maybe the founding fathers should have had that discussion one day.

Income tax is a great example. Forty seven per cent of the voting population pays no federal income tax. And, forty seven per cent of the voting population sees no need for federal income tax reform. Coincidence?

Of course and there is a huge difference mate ...

One small detail with huge importance ,was that the elected public officials (elected from lotary Procedure which automatically does not give you the right to vote for the one who serves your interestsand) and with 1 year of Staying in Governance his obligation was to
Apply the law that citizens chose and voted for them .
In representative "Democracy " you elect the public politician who will serve your interest and that politician- public officer have the right to make the roules and law that you will obay !!
It is huge deference!!!
That bizarre you describe is side effect of a newest "system "which has nothing to do with democracy idea !!
If what you describe is right or wrong doesn't mater because you can't do nothing for that !! It is on your elected official to decide !!

Read when you find time Plato ideal state , you will like it or you will hate it ....
Stakaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 00:40   #95

Boat: Jeanneau 45,2

"the allegory of the cave " also is a great example of today's real situation we live in
Stakaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 04:12   #96

Boat: 1967 Chris Craft Commander 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
It will turn around again and get back on track, they usually do anyway.

That's debatable. Have you seen the YouTube thread?
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 05:37   #97

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
Only to throw in the towel in less than a year. What were they thinking?
Cruising is nothing special in terms of travelling. All forms of extended travel can be hardwork. Anyone who's been backpacking, inter-railing, or overland travelling will have a good idea what it entails. If they've never done any of those thing, then I would question why they think cruising on a boat is a good idea.

You've got many of same challenges, provisioning, parking, laundry, finding somewhere to sleep, buying and carrying enough water, dealing with police/customs/authorise, fines, bribes, bureaucracy, climate, relationships, friendships, isolation.

It's (much) of a muchness.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 05:50   #98

Boat: Lagoon 40

Like Kenomac - we are doing part-time cruising and love it. When we are not "cruising", we are out on the water most weekends, and often for extended weekends. I've also found that the best maintenance for a boat is to use it. Things don't seem to break as often, and when they do, if you are using it, you are more motivated to fix it near real-time so that the job list does not build up. We have now done two significant cruises, and two Cuba Races - just uploaded video of the latest Cuba Race. Check it out on our blog! - link below
Neil
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 06:07   #99

I don't expect lollipops and unicorns but I am thrilled people are trying the lifestyle and if they outfit their boat and decide after a year it isn't for them...call me...we are looking for a great deal on a boat!
TomAndLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 07:03   #100

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
That's debatable. Have you seen the YouTube thread?

In honesty, it's one that I'm not interested in, so no I haven't.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 07:05   #101

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Yes they have two engines.... B U T as my friend discovered here in Croatia last week on his 45ft charter Cat, things don't go so smoothly when one of your props falls apart and you now find yourself with only one engine and a cat that now prefers to go in circles when trying to dock and anchor. Add some wind to the mix, and you're gunna wanna get that engine fixed sooner than later.

I'd still rather try to dock a Cat with one engine, than my full keel under sail.
In honesty I wouldn't try to dock my boat, I'd anchor and dinghy in
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 07:13   #102
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomAndLee View Post
I don't expect lollipops and unicorns .........
with the right lillipop you will be able to see unicorns
Old 23-07-2017, 07:27   #103
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'd still rather try to dock a Cat with one engine, than my full keel under sail.
In honesty I wouldn't try to dock my boat, I'd anchor and dinghy in
I've needed to sail the boat in under sail twice in somewhat windy 20 knot conditions, one time due to an engine problem and once an electrical fire. It's really not that difficult. Each time I sailed into the marina using only the staysail. Blew one fender each time, no boat damage.

We learned how by sailing our Hunter 450 into the marina all the time using only the high freeboard... no sails. You should try it sometime, then when there's a problem, you'll be ready.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 07:40   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
with the right lillipop you will be able to see unicorns
Haha! No doubt! Unfortunately my unicorn seeing days are over...dang it!
TomAndLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 15:25   #105

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
The best is when you are just sailing along and long off to the side sitting on a rock is a Mermaid. She's slowly flicking her tail back and forth while licking a lollipop while you that come here look.

Man those are the cruising days!
That happened to me once! Then I fell off the bench at the nav. station and woke up!
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising