Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2013, 15:04   #1

Pacific or Atlantic/Caribbean?

Looking for opinions on the preferred spot for cruising for a year. We plan to head to either East Coast of US (Florida-ish) or Pacific coast of Mexico and purchase a boat to liveaboard and cruise. We will have enough to live for up to a year (more or less depending on unforseen expenses of course) on a mediochre budget of $1500./month. We would also be very open to working in order to extend our time out.

Thoughts on which coast is better for our plans?
sarahjh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 15:40   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: Pacific or Atlantic/Caribbean?

We are on the Gulf of Mexico. Your question is a good one but with no right answer cheapest to cruise I think is Mexico.
Old 15-03-2013, 15:44   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

I haven't cruised the East coast, so can't talk about that. But we cruised the Pacific coast of Mexico and Sea of Cortez for almost 7 years and absolutely LOVED it. Sea of Cortez in the summer has great snorkeling and islands to explore, with enough fishing villages and towns to provide provisions. It's hot in the summer, but we never found it unbearable with good 4-way wind scoops and plenty of fans. And there are generally VERY good deals on boats in San Carlos, Mazatlan and La Paz that are well-equipped for cruising. There's also not too many bugs there -- mosquitos are rare as are no-see-ums. In the heart of hurricane season, you can head up to BLA and Puerto Don Juan is a great hurricane hole to duck into if the need arises (and most storms have lost a lot of strength once they get that far north). In the winter, you can head to La Paz (big, friendly cruiser community), Mazatlan, La Cruz (Banderas Bay) and hop all the way down to Zihuatanejo.

Highly recommended!!

The Boat Galley - making your boat life better with a weekly newsletter, free and low-cost courses, handy references and document organizers
The Boat Galley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 15:45   #4

Of course you're right. It's like asking what is the best boat...it's usually the one you have. Just hoped to get a bit of a poll going or some personal experience feedback.
sarahjh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 16:00   #5

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Haven't done the Pacific coast yet, but have read a fair bit about it. The thing I like about the East Coast is the variety and the possibility of snowbirding it. Bahamas-Caribbean in the winter, then north up the ICW to the Chesapeake for the spring, New England in the summer, maybe Maine and Nova Scotia, then back down again. And, if you want to you can day hop the entire thing, at least through the Bahamas. Sheltered anchorages every night if you want, everything from cities to deserted anchorages. Warm water to cold water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tarpaulin.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	314.6 KB
ID:	57113  
Old 15-03-2013, 16:07   #6

If your on a tight budget that may play a big part in the best place to cruise. I have lots of experience in Mexico and your budget would be fine there. If you stay on the hook and spend a good part of your time in the Baja then you probably will have money left over. Unfortunately I have no experience at all on the East Coast/Caribbean so others will have to chime in.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 16:29   #7

As to budget, the main thing is to anchor out all the time, which you can do every night on the East Coast. Food costs in the supermarket don't vary that much in the USA, in my opinion, but I suspect they are cheaper in Mexico. Eating out would be cheaper in Mexico. The Bahamas has a $150-$300 entry fee, which is about the biggest on this side of the pond. You can also go down to places like Panama and Colombia where it is much cheaper to eat out, which I imagine is about like Mexico. I think Florida is one of the less expensive places in the world to purchase a boat and get it ready to cruise. Yes, I'm sure there are deals in Mexico, but how much will it cost you to get those parts and repairs you need to get going?
Old 16-03-2013, 10:13   #8

One thing I forgot to add is the answer to your question depends hugely on what you want to do and how you like to live. For example, some want to find a nice harbor someplace where they can hang out for months or years at a time. Others want to keep on the move, exploring all the time (I'm in that camp). Some can't face being in an area where swimming is only something you do for a boat length before you climb out shivering (Maine), while others would die if they had to sit out a tropical season holed up in some sweaty hurricane harbor. Some cruisers like to tie up in a marina and enjoy unlimited power, while to others it isn't cruising unless they're on the hook. Etc. Etc. Make yourself some lists to compare areas you are interested in. Score the areas to see which places come out ahead.
Old 16-03-2013, 10:42   #9

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

I have cruised the Caribbean and French Polynesia for decades. These are among the best cruising waters, but at a price. Caribbean cruising is much much cheaper than French Polynesia's. If I was on your budget, I'd visit "Saturday Farmer Markets" in many of the islands and I'd stock up on supplies from there. Get a travel guide to the region, and make plans accordingly; it's doable. French Polynesia is on a "higher order" of travel; just about everything is expensive because it is imported. If you are fluent in French or Tahitian, this area is worth visiting at least once in your lifetime; very pricey region, but it will provide you a feast for your senses. The only place I visited several times in Mexico, was the island of Cozumel; a SCUBA diving heaven. The paperwork required and the corruption in Mexico make it easier for me not sail that region, despite its bargain prices. (Mexico customs thinks ALL pilots are "up to no good", if vacationing in Mexico!) Sail away! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 15:56   #10

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Haven't done the Pacific coast yet, but have read a fair bit about it. The thing I like about the East Coast is the variety and the possibility of snowbirding it. Bahamas-Caribbean in the winter, then north up the ICW to the Chesapeake for the spring, New England in the summer, maybe Maine and Nova Scotia, then back down again. And, if you want to you can day hop the entire thing, at least through the Bahamas. Sheltered anchorages every night if you want, everything from cities to deserted anchorages. Warm water to cold water.
+1....this is my plan.
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 16:10   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

why limit yourself to those areas,there are some great deals on ex flotilla charter boats in greece and turkey in your size/budget range.

you might even meet some cruisers in your age group,the down side if you are a young couple in the carib and pacific coasts is that the majority of the cruisers are of retirement age,lots of great folks,but like to go to bed at 9pm.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 16:31   #12

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

...ummm...9 pm...that late? What a wild bunch!!! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 17:04   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

If you only have one year then not Pacific.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 17:22   #14

Boat: Nonsuch 30

The Eastern Caribbean is great because there is so much variety in a relatively small area. Downside is that some places are crowded. Our faves Grenadines, Grenada, Guadeloupe, and Puerto Rico.

Tags
Caribbean