Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2017, 09:15   #16

Boat: Lagoon 450 F
Re: Overwintering Afloat in Croatia - Recomendations ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
As for rabies concerned, Croatia is high on the list.

Non-Schengen Europe with no rabies risk in the Med are Gibraltar (non-EU) and Cpyrus (EU).
Croatia is on EU list as Rabies Controlled, and covered by the EU Pet Passport scheme. So it is a non-problem.
Rabies Third Countries - Pet Travel

I've notices the lists of countries vary by country ! Nothing to make it simple.. Getting a pet into the UK is even harder than getting one into mainland Europe...

The things we deal with
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:15   #17

As a poorly South African in a budget, no pets issues which would be the most affordable area to winter?
Thanks Paul
casarei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:16   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by casarei View Post
As a poorly South African in a budget, no pets issues which would be the most affordable area to winter?
Thanks Paul
Turkey IMO, based on info so far...
Old 10-07-2017, 12:15   #19

Check out Marina Kastela.
Its close to the airport at Split.
Marina Kaštela.
We based there as it was being build in '04 and I understand it has grown into a fine marina with good facilities and can accommodate up to super yachts.
Ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:27   #20

Boat: 26ft -> 38ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catapault View Post
That is an option. Recommend any particular place ?

In the EU but out of Schengen has some appeal to our winter projects (read here, Amazon deliveres for the Admiral but others are fine.

Our additional complication, I need either an EU, or Rabies Free or Rabies controlled country. (Turkey is none of the above).
I went to Tivat last March where is Porto Montenegro, I like it, really quiet (ok if you like as is). Porto Montenegro was born as a very luxury marina but is full only July - August.
Peterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 15:25   #21

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 54

Hi , I spent three seasons in Croatia in a small marina called Preko . It's just off the coast from Zadar and is easy to get to by ferry (15minutes) from Zadar. Alan , Anita and Helena run it and are some of the most helpful people I have met. Zadar is good to get to by bus, plane or ferry.
I applied for a temporary Residence permit and got it no problem. I think it cost about $NZ 140.00 I think it took about 3 weeks .
Good luck and enjoy Croatia it is cheap, spectacular and the people are friendly , and most speak English
Glenn
watevaworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 15:57   #22

Boat: Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
We did not winter over there but with the issues in Turkey now - if we were to look at that area we would talk with the Marina in Dubrovnik - we stopped there for some repairs by the Jeanneau dealer - EuroMarine - and it was nice - expense? no idea - as for how cold? no idea - good place if they had facilities would be Sarande Albania but not sure they have facilities - if you want a contact there I have one.

good luck
Dubrovnik Marina Is up a long inlet. Not over wintered there but I would think very safe for the boat. The Balkans are cold in winter high mountains snow and cattabatic winds!!! (sorry for the spelling)
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 16:58   #23

Boat: none yet :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterix View Post
Why not Montenegro? Nice place, is outside UE and Schengen, not as expensive as Croatia, I plan to wintering there (dry).

Regards
I would agree with this. Montenegro is less formal, Kotor Bay fjord is super protected, magnificent nature, cheaper and the best of all, outside the EUSSR.
Invictus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 17:00   #24

Boat: none yet :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltasailor View Post
Dubrovnik Marina Is up a long inlet. Not over wintered there but I would think very safe for the boat. The Balkans are cold in winter high mountains snow and cattabatic winds!!! (sorry for the spelling)
Croatia is generally a rip-off, few yrs ago we were charged Eur 200 per night at Dubrovnik Marina peak season though, but still. In Cavtat (south of Dubrovnik) they charge for anchoring half the docking fee for the boat size.
Invictus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 22:02   #25

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus69 View Post
Croatia is generally a rip-off, few yrs ago we were charged Eur 200 per night at Dubrovnik Marina peak season though, but still. In Cavtat (south of Dubrovnik) they charge for anchoring half the docking fee for the boat size.
€200 a night? What are you sailing? The QE2?

Yes the "Peak" months anywhere in Croatia can be pricy but that is the same as any country anywhere in the world. Best thing to do is contact marinas or harbours that you are interested in and see if they can do a deal for an over winter stay. If you don't ask you don't get.

Another option if you want to be close to an airport is the new Marina Trogir. It is next door to the ACI but more spacious (ie between the pontoons) and has some of the best showers in Croatia (they even have radiators to warm your towels in the cubicles )
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 22:35   #26

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

If you want facilities and a bit of life in Croatia during the winter, then Split with 100,000+ people is probably the best place, either Split itself or somewhere close such as Marina Kastela or one of the several marinas in the area. The public transport is very good, frequent and cheap. Split is an all year round place and has the infrastructure to support thousands of charter and private yachts. Trogir, near Split would be an alternative, still within an easy and cheap bus ride to Split.
It is far cheaper to keep a boat on the islands, we are in Milna on Brac, where we leave the boat afloat during the winter, but the islands with a few exceptions go to sleep from end October to April. There are very few restaurants open and very little facilities although you can get things sent from the mainland. Milna is a 30 min bus then 50 minute ferry from Split and is very sheltered.
It can get very cold in the winter, last winter they had a sustained spell down to -8C which caused caused a few problems, but that was exceptional and the norm is much milder, rarely going below 0C and often with decent spells of dry sunny weather. They do get long spells of Yugo SE gale strength wind and NE Bora wind which can give up to hurricane force gusts. My limited experiencd suggests that these are worst in autumn and spring but they will occur regularly throughout.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:55   #27

Location: South Africa. currently sailing in the Bahamas and then heading to the Med via Bermuda in May
Boat: Knysna 500SE

Informative thread
Thanks to all who contributed!!
Marina Kastela ........ rates escalate materially for boats over 36ft and then you double that for a cat
Lambretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:09   #28

Boat: LAGOON 400

people do not understand that northern Med has 2 months season, therefore prices are steep.

Same as skiing in Australia. Probably 2x more expensive than Switzerland. Not saying is bad skiing, but you pay for short season and not for 2x better skiing.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:37   #29

One (of the many) good things about Australia.

Year round sailing !
Old 20-03-2018, 04:01   #30

For those interested. Some ramble on what we did.

We ended up overwintering in Limassol Marina, Cyprus. November thru to end March.

Quite reasonable, (not the cheapest, but decent). Averaged out to bit over $1.3k Euro/mo + power/water. (we didn't book in advance for best discount rate, should of)
50mb/s Fibre Internet direct to the boat for 35 Euro a month has been GREAT.

Marina itself is brand new, and really good. Service here is superb, shops close, lots of places to eat out, etc etc. The staff keep the place spotless, including the water.

Great Cattery on the Island also, which was actually one of the key reasons we came here, as the cats needed someplace to live whilst we were away. They were well looked after, inc pickup and delivery back to the boat.

Very few to no liveaboards here over the winter, so very quite / no community there. We were away a lot, so didn't matter.

Chandlery is a bit ho/hum, but Amazon delivers, Marina accepts deliveries (no addnl price) and prices from Amazon UK were very reasonable (direct flights London to Larnaca).
Had some minor service done, inc Yanmar annual service on the two engines. On par for that cost.

Raymarine guys here (external company) are great and fixed several problems were have been having with compass, radar and wind. Really knew their stuff and rather than 'all too hard', They figured out a way and got couple things fixed which were no longer made. Cost reasonable.

Getting underway for the season on Monday (if the predicted weather holds) for passage to Rhodes then Westwards !.

Regards

Ping me if would like more details.

Mark.

Tags
Croatia, loa, men