Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2013, 10:24   #1

Boat: Pearson 30'
Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

In the cruising world there is a war going on against the law abiding live aboards' rights. Here in Oriental NC the war is being bushed by a website known as the town dock. Here is my open letter to the people that run that community events blog (that likes to pretend they are a real news source). I am posting this so people can see the other side of this story.

To the good people of town dock. I just wanted to let you know that soon I will be moving my boat from the harbor. Before anyone here pats themselves on the back, I would just like to make a few quick points. First off I am a disabled war veteran who served this country in the 91 gulf war, on the USS Nimitz CVN-68 and even in countries filled will people who hate Americans I have never been treated with such malice, defamation, slander, false accusations and contempt as I have been by the fine people who run this website. You have printed without the journalistic integrity to examine and research all sides of the issues, that is, the rights of live- aboards in harbors. I don't want you to falsely believe that any of these tactics are the reason I am moving my boat. If anything, it has made me want to stay where I lawfully am even longer. I have that right! What has compelled me to decide to move is for the first time in 4 months someone has actually asked me politely if I would mind making more room in the harbor for the snowbird fall season.

The idea that long term boats in the harbor is something new is laughable. Long term boats in the harbor is nothing new it goes back as far as the founding of Oriental. Those who say differently don't know much about the history of the harbor in Oriental. They also don't know the maritime definition of a derelict, or abandoned boat. The first time I stayed in the harbor 3 years ago I took the spot that a boat that had been there almost 2 years. So all this “Traditionally, Oriental’s anchorage has been a place where visiting boats drop the hook for a day or two, maybe even a few weeks or months.” talk is just bunk. Back then I vowed that I would never return to the harbor because in the spring and summer season it is like the wild west in there. Last winter I tore my rotator-cuff and that makes rowing long distances hard, so I moved boat from greens creek back into the harbor even though I prefer the solitude of the creeks.

Way before the issue of 3 boats in the harbor, all tourism in Oriental has been on a steep decline for over 4 years. The escaping tourists used to come by automobile as well as boats. As a matter of fact most drove their cars here. So can we come up with some other reason for this decline beside scapegoating the 3 boats in the harbor.

I love this town as much as everyone else who has the luck to live here. Because of that love for the town I Hate seeing how you make us all look like a bunch of mean bitter selfish people to the rest of the world.
Old 14-09-2013, 11:54   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: Our shrinking rights and the fight in Oriental NC

I have great sympathy for both Vets and the rights of cruisers.

Nor do I think that harbors should exclude older boats, older sailors or people with limited financial means.

We cruise because we like the freedom and everyone should have that right.

However, I think that boats in harbors should be sea worthy, securely anchored and able to move at a few hours notice.

Pic is of the three boats that have the citizens of Oriental concerned. Not pretty but not necessarily derelict as some claim. I read the letters to the "Town Dock" and most were reasonable and sympathetic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oriental.jpg
Views:	789
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	67198  

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
Old 14-09-2013, 12:05   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If somebody docked a PINK boat in my harbor, I'd be upset too.
Old 14-09-2013, 12:20   #4

Boat: Cooper 416

What Roverhi said.
Old 14-09-2013, 12:38   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

It is really hard to understand why some landlubbers hate sailors so much. Don't we spend enough money at their businesses? Is it a tax thing? Are they jealous of the freedom?

For the original poster. Thanks for your service and speaking up.

kind regards,
Old 14-09-2013, 12:43   #6

That boat used to race for breast cancer awareness, and my mother died of cancer so the color is not changing.
Old 14-09-2013, 12:46   #7

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner

Can't see what's wrong with the boats in the picture. Concur with Skipr John (in the same vein, why do motorists hate people on bicycles?)

Old 14-09-2013, 12:49   #8

Boat: Catalina 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
It is really hard to understand why some landlubbers hate sailors so much. Don't we spend enough money at their businesses? Is it a tax thing? Are they jealous of the freedom?
As a landlubber that lives on an island, I can give you my perspective on live-aboards in the harbor.

My taxes pay for your trash removal, your showers, your toilets, your toilet paper, your pumpouts, your water, your fuel spills, your police calls, your rescues (if needed), your fireboats, etc.

Yes, you hike up the hill to buy groceries, but that's about it. If you would like to pay a monthly fee towards maintaining the facilities that you use, and agree to pay the full cost of any cleanup associated with your boat, I'm fine with you staying.

Eagle Harbor does that by charging a monthly fee to boats that anchor for months in a designated area. Your boat also must pass some criteria for seaworthiness and such.

So, y'know, come join us. Just pay for your stay.
Old 14-09-2013, 12:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post

For the original poster. Thanks for your service and speaking up.

kind regards,
You know it's sad to see what they are doing in states like Washington, and Florida. There is a long history of live-abaords being the pioneers that helped settle this land. In the end the truth is simple when they talk about economic development they choose to forget live-abords buy things too. Almost like they assume that they can kick you around and they still have your money. This fight has soured me so much that After I move into the creeks for a little while I will be planning my exit from the town.
Old 14-09-2013, 12:52   #10

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

Somebody should tell Sailchic her new motor will have to be sent to Oriental to get together with the PINK sailboat. You know how purple and pink go together so well. LOL
To Goth, well done on sailing for breast cancer awareness......
Old 14-09-2013, 12:54   #11

Here is another way to look at this issue

The Harbor 5 years ago

The Harbor now
Old 14-09-2013, 12:55   #12

We ourselves are in at the low-cost end of the sailing spectrum (out of choice, not necessity) so we have a desire to keep sailing accessible to all, not just the wealthy, including the treat of currently free anchorages ... but I also don't want to see harbours become floating flop-houses either.

A balance has to be struck between people exercising liberty, and the rights of towns to direct their own growth and economy for the benefit of tax-paying residents.
Old 14-09-2013, 12:57   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutb View Post
Somebody should tell Sailchic her new motor will have to be sent to Oriental to get together with the PINK sailboat. You know how purple and pink go together so well. LOL
Sadly I was not part of her crew back then but when I saw that boat I knew given her history, and mine, that it was the boat I wanted to be with until the day comes when I get my Catamaran
Old 14-09-2013, 13:03   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothVanhellsing View Post
There is a long history of live-abaords being the pioneers that helped settle this land.

Let's just deal with the situation as it stands today. No need to revise history.
Old 14-09-2013, 13:04   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutb View Post
LOL oddly Purple is my Fave color.
Closed Thread